Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Cozumel/Mayan ruins on Sensation

We are sailing on the Sensation July 28th. We are interested in seeing the Mayan ruins. When I first booked the trip, the itinerary listed a brief stop in Playa del Carmen (I think that what it was) on the morning of our stop in Mexico. I was told that for those who are interested in the ruins, that would be their disembarkment point. I don't see that stop listed any longer. Can someone tell me the best way to see the ruins? If we rent a Jeep can we ride to them and hook up on a local tour? I also heard that if you take the tour from the ship, it will be very long and tends to get tedious. I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Tetra

Default Re: Cozumel/Mayan ruins on Sensation

We just got back from Cozumel on the Paradise. We took the Tulum tour through the cruise line. I didn't find the day tedious. It is a bumpy tender ride from the ship to Playa Del Carmen....but you will have that no matter how you book the trip. I suggest bonine. It is fantastic. They also stop for 45 minutes of shopping and a potty break. In my opinion 20 minutes would be long enough. We left the ship at around 8:00 by the time everyone got to the tender and got back at 3:15 or so. I am not sure the trip would be any shorter with your own transportation. Definitely bring a brimmed hat. It is hot at the ruins. If you are into that type of thing you will definitely enjoy the experience. I did more than my husband..... but he didn't say it was horrible....just hot.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 09:00 PM
VeAnn

Default Re: Cozumel/Mayan ruins on Sensation

Suzi:
Carnival has just eliminated the operational stop in Playa del Carmen. The ship will dock in Cozumel, and the tour to the Mayan Ruins will leave from there. You will ferry back over to Playa and take the bus from there to the Ruins. I would highly suggest you do this, as the tour includes your transportation to Playa, to the ruins, your admission to the Ruins, and transporation back. PLUS, the ship knows where you are and when you are supposed to be back. If you're on your own, they don't know where you are or where to look for you. Much safer this way. Don't miss the ruins....they are fantastic.
Old July 9th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default To VeAnn

Thanks, VeAnn. That is very helpful info. Next question, how much time does this excursion take with ferrying, etc. We were hoping to do a dolphin swim at noon, as well. (Waiting for confirmation from Discovery people) Will there be enough time for all of this?
Old July 10th, 2002, 06:44 PM
data

Default Re: To VeAnn

Any more info on the dolphin swim at noon. How can I get in contact with the Discovery people.

CIAO
Old July 11th, 2002, 10:53 PM
bonz

Default Re: Re: Cozumel/Mayan ruins on Sensation

I will be on the paradise- and am interested in going to the ruins. How much does the tULAM excursion cost. And is there also one to chistza nitza or is that too far away?