Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default can alcohol be brought on board?

My husband and I will be going on the Triumph next May and although we are NOT big drinkers, I just wondered if we could bring a bottle of wine or something with us. I hate to sound like a cheapskate, but I hate to pay exorbitant prices for alcohol!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: can alcohol be brought on board?

Wine and Champagne are allowed. If you want to drink them in the dining room rather than in your cabin, they will charge a corkage fee.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 26th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Hi Barb,
Allow me if I may to quote from Carnival's brochure thier official policy.

Liquor Policy
We are sorry but guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages of any kind on board the ship for consumption. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ships gift shops or in a foreign port will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. However, if you will be celebrating a special occasion while on board, fine wine or champange may be brought onboard during embarkation at the beginning of th cruis only. A $10 per bottle corkage fee will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine in the dining room. You may also purchase mixed drinks and other beverages from any of the ship's bar and lounges. ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WILL NOT BE SOLD OR SERVED TO ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone.

That all said and done we have found that often CCL tries to be lenient and you will most likely not have any problem bringing onboard wine, champange, beer, soft drinks, water etc so long as you don't have a case or two of them. <G> Some people also place a bottle or two in thier checked luggage for personal consumption in their cabins. There are also people who sometimes are ignored bringing a bottle or two of alcoholic beverages back with them from a port of call. CCL is not militant about their policy and try to bend as much as possible but they are within their rights to hold any alcoholic beverage until the end of the cruise and it can, and sometimes does happen. Now I assure you that if you walk onboard with a "Lets get drunk and wild" T-shirt, and a couple of bottles of Jack Daniels in your hands they will demand they hold them for you. <G> Don't laugh, it has happened! <VBG>
Jim

Old July 2nd, 2002, 06:07 AM
Passenger

Hi Barb,

My husband & I just returned from a 7-day Victory cruise and brought 2 bottles of liquor with us in our checked luggage. While we were on board, we simply kept it tucked away in one of cabinets in our cabin.

As long as you're discreet about it and don't openly display the bottles in your cabin, you shouldn't have any trouble. No one ever said anything to us, in fact, our room steward gave my husband a chilled bottle of champagne for his birthday while on board that we kept in our cabin.

Just don't openly flaunt your liquor and you should be fine. By the way, although we did purchase a few mixed drinks during our stay, we saved big $$$ having our own "private cocktails" in our cabin!

Patti
Old July 2nd, 2002, 07:02 AM
Admiral

On our last cruise (Pride) a friend we met on board purchased a bottle of rum in Nassau and carried it on the ship. A staff member standing at the check-in said there was an $8 fee for taking it to the room, which he paid and proceeded to his room. He was told "You are hurting the profits of our bars."

Now this is the first time I've ever heard of this. One doesn't know if this is a policy or if the staff member was just pocketing $8 on the side. But he was standing next to a table with several "confiscated" bottles of liquor on it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 2nd, 2002, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: can alcohol be brought on board?

I am willing to bet that your friend didn't actually hear the crewmember state that he was hurting the bar profits. He/she most likily was embellishing the tale somewhat <G> I know that on certain ships or lines they do allow you to bring alcohol to your cabin purchased ashore or in the ships store if you pay the duty on it. I can state with a high degree of certainty that the 'staffer' didn't pocket the money. If cought, and he would be, he would have lost his job on the spot and been put off the ship and they are not willing to have that done to them, their job is very important to them and they simply will not risk losing it, even for much larger stakes.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 3rd, 2002, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Yes it is possible to bring a bottle on board as long as you don't get too carried away.
By that I mean quantity. If it is wrapped and inside a carry on bag they will just look at it and that will be all. Buying a nice bottle of wine when you are in port is fun but don't let them spoil it by telling you to buy in their duty free shop. Don't bring duty free bags with booze on board that is inviting them to keep them for you.
Good luck and have fun,
John
Old July 4th, 2002, 03:56 PM
yvonne

HI Barb. Yes, you can take a few bottles of wine when you board. If you want to take to dinning room there is usually a cork fee ($8.00 or $10.00 I think) A lot of people took Alcachol in suitcase, (when boarding) did not seem to be a problem. You cant buy liquor on thw ship (bottles) while cruising, however you can buy duty free while cruising, (reasonable) and they del. to your cabin day before cruise ends. Hope this helps.... Have a great cruise. YM
P.S. We cruised to Alaska 6/12 on Carnival Spirit... Beautiful ship.