Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival European Shore Tours!!

YaHoo! Just got our brochure on the shore excursions that Carnival is offering on the CCL Legend for thier Baltic and Trans-Atlantic cruises and they are something else! So many wonderful tours to choose from but I must say, transportation costs in Europe are pretty high! Any of the tours that require any degree of traveling via train or bus are pretty costly. The nice part is that the actual tours aren't much more than the tours that just take you to the tourist cities and drop you off. Example is just to go to Paris and back via a bus is $99 and they just drop you off and you are on your own for the day. One that not only takes you to Paris but provides you lunch and tours and entrance fees is only $134 and the one that takes you on a river cruise while there is $144. Looks like CCL is trying to keep the fees down as best they can but transportation costs are at a premium. I know that Mrs Robo and I actually looked into taking the train from London to Paris for a day and it was $168 per person each way so that idea went by the wayside! The brochures are on their way to everyone that booked these cruises and also to the travel agents that have clients on these special cruises. You can pre-book any and all of these excursions which is unlike anything CCL has done before that I know of.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 9th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Carnival European Shore Tours!!

Jim,

Will you be sailing onthe legend ?

Russell.
Old July 9th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Passenger

Jim,

did you say you were sailing on the legend ?

Russell.
Old July 9th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jim's absolutely rignt.. in most European ports of call, there is alot of distance and travelling time to get to some of the major cities from where the ship docks, and therefore excursions are very high.

We found, if you can get 4 or 6 people together and pre arrange a limo/guide for the day, you can often do it for under $100 person. The bonus is you are then on your own schedule, rather than that of an entire bus.

We booked ours through www.shorexcursions.com, and had excellent vehicles and guides.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 9th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Carnival European Shore Tours!!

Russell,
Yes we will be onboard the Legend for the Trans-Atlantic. It was pretty shaky for a bit there but we made some hard choices and managed to make it as it was just something that was too important for us to miss and had been planned on for too long. As for going on your own, or booking with another outside agency, consider that the ship will NOT wait on you should something happen to your outside tour group like they will for a ship's sponsored one. Also you still must get a concensis of opinion for those other two or three couples. From the prices I have seen, the tours that CCL are offering are priced in the norm for that area and I will stay with their tours this time. Many, if not most times we strike off on our own but all things considered we are going with the cruiseline this time.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 10th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Passenger

Jim,
you mean you don't want to miss out on carnnival corp's first carnival cruise line trans atlantic ??
Don't worry i am sure others are in the same boat as you wanting to be the first ones to do this as well.

Russell.
Old July 10th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Vicki C

Jim
Thanks for the information, do you know where in Paris you are dropped off? Can we find out excatly this location? We are being met by an american living in Paris that is going to show us the town for a day and must tell him where to meet us. You are right about transporation costs I checked on the train from LeHarve to Paris and it is $98.00 round trip plus you had to pay for a taxi to the train station.
Thanks for your help.
Vicki
Old July 10th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Jim:
We're booked on the "Legend" transatlantic cruise also. But we haven't received our shore excursion brochure yet. Hopefully, it'll come in the next several days.
You said that we can pre-book these excursions. How do we do that? Can we call, fax or e-mail our selections directly to Carnival? Or are we put on a list and they confirm our choices once we get on board? I know that some of these tours will be very popular, e.g., Normandy beach tours, and I'd hate to miss out on it.
Will
Old July 11th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Will and others,
The brochures were still in the mailroom as of yesterday morning. <8^(> They will send as soon as they can get labels printed and sent en-mass from what I understand which could really mean any minute. They will be sent directly to the passengers mailing address if they have it and if not to the represenitive TA. As to exactly where they drop you in Paris, the booklet says Place de la Concorde at one end of the Champs-Elysees. VickyC, the Paris transfer by bus is $99 and is for both ways directly from the ship to Paris and back to the ship so it is cheaper than the train. The D-Day landing beaches tour is 10 hours long, includes lunch and a tour of not only the beaches but the cemetaries and a couple of towns and a museum etc and lists for $142.
The way you can pre-book is by faxing the inclosed orderform to a number that is on the form. The deadline is two weeks prior to the sail date so you still have plenty of time to make your choices.
Hope this info helps y'all
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 11th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Vicki C

Thank-you Jim for the useful information. Can't wait until we get our booklets. Do have another question for you, we are a party of 5, 4 of us want to go to Paris and Uncle wants to go to DDay beaches. Should I send the reservation for us 4 together and Uncles seperate? Just want to make sure all 4 of us are on the same bus. Thanks again.
Vicki
Old July 11th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival European Shore Tours!!

NO, You can make all the reservation on one form. When you go to get on the tours just make sure that all of you are together and that way you get on the same bus.
Jim

Old July 12th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Vicki C

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival European Shore Tours!!

Thanks Jim that is information is very helpful.
See you real soon, its getting closer. I see we are neighbors across the hall.
Vicki
Old July 13th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Jim

We're going on the Legend 8/24/02 and have yet to receive brochure on shore tours.
How'd you do it?

Barry
Old July 13th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Jim

By the way, how are you getting from London to departure city of Harwich?

I hear that train and motor car/taxi are expensive.

We're staying in London for a few days pre and post the 8/24 Europe sailing.

Also would love to hear from fellow travellers on this trip.

Barry
Old July 13th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Vicki C

Barry,
We are getting on the Legend as you get off. I am using a car service to take us to Harwich, it is kind of expensive but with 5 in our party it is not so bad. Their web site is www.airport-transfers-uk.com. They were recommended by folks on the Fodors.com tour site. Hope this helps.
Good name by the way, same as my husbands.
Vicki
Old July 14th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Vicki, Thanks will look them up.
Have you gotten the tour book mentioned?
Barry
Old July 15th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Barry, Carnival has transfers that are $55 pp from the airports to the port and I believe you can also pick it up in London as well. At the moment i am checking in to the train from downtown London to the port and have seen the schedule but have not been able to find out the cost as of yet. I have a friend in the UK that is checking for me and I have also written to the hotel where we are staying to get information from them as well. I'll find a good, reliable, and confortable way at the best price, you can believe that! <> I'll let everyone know what info I gather up. One thing that those who are going early may really want to check into is buying a "London Pass" online. The savings is very good as after the intital fee for the pass you get free admission into 60 or so attractions and you can for a few pounds more get unlimited transportation on the tube, busses and even the ferry on the Thames!
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 15th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Passenger

I live in London and will be sailing on the Aug 24th Legend sailing as well. I have been doing a bit of research on transportation from London to Harwich and it's really simple. The simplest and most cost-effective way to do it (this is what we're doing) is to take the subway (London's Underground) to Liverpool Street station (3.60 GBP or approx. $5.50) and then an above-ground train from Liverpool St. station to Harwich.

There are special "cruise" trains specifically for cruise passengers which cost about $30 per person roundtrip. These go directly from London's Liverpool St. station to Harwich. But there is only one trip per day. On August 24th, the cruise train leaves Liverpool St. station at 12:25 pm and on September 5th, the cruise train leaves Harwich at 9:20 am.

The other (less expensive) option is to take the regular train from Liverpool St. to Manningtree and transfer to another train that will take you to Harwich. This ticket costs about $36 per person roundtrip, but with the special GroupSave offer, you can buy 4 tickets for the price of 2. The only downside is the transfer, but the agent told me the trains are synchronized so that we would not have to wait more than 5 minutes for the transfer. Travel time from London to Harwich on these trains take about 1 hr. and 20 minutes and there are several train departures per day.

Here are the websites for the train from London to Harwich International Port.
http://www.harwich-intl-port.co.uk/hip/index.htm
www.ger.com
http://www.ger.co.uk/getsocial/group...tml/main.html#

One additional note--If you are flying into Heathrow, you can easily hop on the subway from there (take Picadilly Line, transfer to Central Line at Holborn, and get off at Liverpool St. station). If, however, you are flying into Gatwick, you would have to take the Gatwick Express train (about $16 each way) to Waterloo station, and take the subway from there to Liverpool St. station, before you transfer to the above-ground train mentioned above.

Hope this helps!
JTH
Old July 17th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Vicki C

Barry,
I have still not received my tour brochure. Jim has a friend at Carnival that is how he got his early. I understand if Carnival has your address these will be sent directly to you but if not your TA will get them. My TA is in California and I am in Ohio so sure it will be a while before I see anything. You might want to call your TA and see if they have them yet. On girl called TA and they faxed all 17 pages to her.
Vicki