Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Passenger

Default Calica - How far to Cancun?

Hi! I am taking a Cruise with my Family on July 22nd to the Western Caribbean. Once you get off at Port (Calica) how far is it to Cancun? What would be the best way to get there? Bus, Taxi? About how much would it cost for a Family of 5? Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2002, 01:10 PM
baseball mama

Default Re: Calica - How far to Cancun?

Steph,

I have not ever been to Calica, but my family and I are going on the Celebration July 29th and one of our stops is Calica. I have done some research about this particular port. You can just do a general search using the word "Calica" and you should find some information and maps!! What I have found out is Calica is 3 miles south of Playa del Carmen and Cancun is approximately 42 miles north of Playa del Carmen (approximately 1 hour from Calica). Some price quotes I have found for taxis are 30 - 35 US dollars from Playa del Carmen and have no price quotes for buses. I am not sure what the price will be for 5 people this quote was for 4 people, however, this should give you some idea. Taxis and rental cars are suppose to be at the port. I do not have price quotes for rental cars either. My family has choosen to go to Xcaret and swim with the dolphins. Xcaret is only a couple of miles from the port and their are shuttle buses to take you there. (That is why I do not have more information on buses and rental car prices.) I hope I have been some help. Sorry I could not tell you more, but maybe someone who has already been there can . Oh, I believe Carnival does have a shore excursion to Cancun. It is called "Cancun Shopping and Beach Tour ($46 pp). This shore excursion is described on Carnival's web site.

Hope I have helped,
Baseball Mama
Old July 9th, 2002, 03:06 PM
First Mate

If this is the route that stops at Calica, then on Cozumel, I would recommend getting off at Cozumel.......it is a beautiful little island with an incredible water park (Chankanaab) where you can snorkel, swim (they have dolphins), there's a nice shady park with lots of ancient (and copies) statues. With our kids ages 7 and 10, we rented a topless VW and tootled around the island and had a blast!!

From my previous experiences with Cancun, I really wouldn't think it would be worth that long bus ride just to walk around the town for a couple of hours. You'd get a lot more enjoyment out of seeing some of the beaches and snorkeling!
Old July 9th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Steph,
Cancun is a little over an hour north of Calica and you can get there via bus for a few dollars or by cab for abour $50 each way. The big question is WHY? There really is NOTHING in Cancun! All Cancun is is a bunch of hotels on a beach and all the activities are based at the hotels. It is not really a place to visit and there is nothing to do outside of the hotels, more of a place to get a hotel and stay for the beach activities. Calica and Play Del Carmen and Cozumel are much better places to visit and have fun IMHO.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 13th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Vicki C

Default Re: Re: Calica - How far to Cancun?

I agree with Jim, you are better off shopping wise to head to Cozumel. If your ship does not stop there you should be able to get the ferry accross. There is a square in Coz just off the main drag that has tons of shops. Silver, anything onyx, vanilla, and mexician blankets are always good buys there, Just stay off the main road and you will do fine, expect to bargain and look arround two or three shops before you buy.
Vicki