Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Beginner

Default HELP! Holiday or Celebration?

Would GREATLY appreciate any recommendations as to which cruise I should take. I'm greatly concerned about the number of negative reviews I've found on several websites in regards to the Holiday. We will be driving to the port of embarkation, and although New Orleans is closer to me geographically than Galveston is, I would gladly go the extra miles, if the recent refurbishments to Celebration would make this cruise the better alternative. We plan to leave the last week in July for the five day cruise, so I need to book pretty quickly. THANKS for any words of wisdom out there.
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2003, 11:00 AM
LHP

Default Re: HELP! Holiday or Celebration?

Both are about the same size ship (Holiday being a little larger). Yes, the Holiday is the oldest ship that Carnival has sailing right now and is in need of a refurb. As you know, Celebration has just gone through one. I have been on the Celebration when she was going out of New Orleans and had a wonderful time. We are also scheduled for the Holiday on July 5th. Personally, wear and tear (stains) don't bother me. I have been on the Conquest (the largest Carnival has to offer) and the smallest. The Conquest was only a few months old and already had wear and tear. I believe you will find the food, service and entertainment equal on both. But since the Celebration has just been overhauled...there should be less chance of mechanical problems. Plus (going out of Galveston) the Celebration doesn't have to tackled the ever changing Mississippi River. (The Holiday has gotten grounded at least once.)

So if stains etc are going to bother you and you want less chance of a trip interruption, I would go on the Celebration. If you do book the Holiday, please be advised that engine noise has been a complaint. Be sure to get a cabin at least on Upper deck and Forward! Have a great time which ever direction you go.
Old April 16th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Curt

The Holiday and the Celebration are the exact same ship except the decorations are different. I've sailed both but the celebration had not been refurbed when I sailed them. I did not find either one in such bad shape it would affect my enjoyment of the cruise. I sailed the Holiday for thanksgiving in 02. Yes, this was the cruise that it got stuck on the sandbar in Playa Del Carmen and they had to fly us home, but thats a whole other story. I think the thing you might want to think about is the ports. I would probably let that make my decision rather than the ship, considering there layout is the same. If its the same 5 day itinerary we had out of new orleans, it was real nice having all the extra time in the two ports.
Old April 16th, 2003, 11:55 AM
kkorman

Celebration just got a facelift. I would go with her!
Old April 16th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on the Holiday. Although she isn't the most glamerous of ships, she's still holding her own. If you want the ritz, go for the Conquest! Now, she's a class act. Like LHP said, even the Conquest has some stains already.

The only draw back of the Holiday was her size. She's pretty small if you've ever been on a bigger ship.
Old April 16th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Beginner

Thanks very much to all of you who took the time to respond. After taking all of this information into consideration, I decided to call a Carnival representative and ask his opinion as well. The rep had recently toured the refurbished Celebration. Said it looked as good as any of the new ships. The rep stated he wouldn't even hesitate about which cruise he would take if he had to pick between the two - it would be the Celebration. Let's hope he's right, because my family and I are now booked for July 28th. It's our first cruise, so we are very excited. Thanks again to all of you who were kind enough to give me your opinion.
Old April 18th, 2003, 08:06 AM
LACY

Default Re: Re: HELP! Holiday or Celebration?

I HAD THE SAME DILEMA, BUT AFTER RESEARCHING I FOUND THAT LEAVING FROM GALVESTON WAS 100.00 LESS PER PERSON THAN LEAVING FROM NEW ORLEANS. NEW ORLEANS IS A CLOSER DRIVE BUT IT WON'T COST 200.00 IN GAS TO GET THERE! I WAS THRILLED WHEN I FOUND OUT CELEBRATION HAD BEEN REFURBISHED I'M GLAD I MADE THE DECISION TO GO WITH THE CELEBRATION. WE ARE LEAVING MAY 5, 2003 CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!