Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2002, 09:13 AM
GeriP

Default Snorkel equipment

Does anyone have an opinion about whether to rent snorkel equipment or buy your own?
I was thinking of buying at least a snorkel because I am concerned about how sanitary it is to put your mouth on snorkels other people have been using. But they aren't cheap and I don't know how often we will use them.

I assume they sanitize them pretty good but who knows.

Thanks
Geri
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2002, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline
Default Re: Snorkel equipment

Old July 21st, 2002, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Geri,
Buying your own is just as cheap or even cheaper after you have used them twice. You also know where the mouthpiece has been as well. The rental places really don't 'sanitize' them rather mostly it is just a rinse-off by the previous user. The ONLY drawback to buying your own is the fact that you have to pack and carry it.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old July 21st, 2002, 02:14 PM
GeriP

I ended up buying snorkels and masks for everyone and will rent or use the life vests and flippers so there is less to pack and carry.

I assume you can just rent vests and flippers for less than renting the whole deal?

Eventually if I see the need I will invest in the jackets an flippers but for now I think the snorkel and mask will do.

I was told they sanitize the stuff but someones idea of sanitizing might not be mine.

Thanks
Old July 21st, 2002, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Geri,
I would also just buy a set, we did a few years ago and everything was around $50 and it fits!! Actually, after a few rentals, you could of bought your own stuff anyway, so go for it!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 21st, 2002, 06:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Snorkel equipment

Ok, why do you need a vest anyway? Your body is naturally bouyant. Afterall, you have these huge balloons full of air in your chest that you have to fight hard to get 10 under the water because of. Save your money and forget the vests.
Old July 22nd, 2002, 10:58 AM
Admiral

I equate renting a snorkel with using someone else's tooth brush. Combine that with playing with a rental mask in the water for half your snorkeling time trying to get a nice water proof and comfortable fit and you end up with the buy your own decision.
Not necessary to spend a lot of money on a mask and snorkel. Brands like Body Glove
are decent quality eqipment for the recreational snorkeler and cost about $20
for mask and snorkel at warehouse type stores and mass market department and sporting goods stores. Same brand (and others) also make comfortable and light weight fins that sell for about the same price. An inflatable snorkel vest is about $30 to $40 and you might have to go to a dive shop or a "real" sporting goods store for that.
Always the internet.
If you wear glasses and are nearsighted invest about $100 total and get corrective lens put in the mask. What a world of difference this makes underwater!! That can be done at any dive shop.