Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2002, 12:05 AM
First Mate

Default Do ya really have to get dressed up for dinner?

We will be cruising on the Sensation during the week of Thanksgiving. (11/25-11/30-02) This will be our first cruise. We are a couple in our late 30's. I hate to get dressed up. I feel a cruise should be a relaxing vacation not something that should be so formal. Dockers and a button shirt is as far as I'm getting dressed up. Some people I've talked to say you don't have to get dressed up while others say you do. I've only wore a tux at my wedding at that was enough! After all this is a Carnival cruise. Isn't this suppose to be the "fun ship"? What would happen if you don't dress up to eat.? I plan on going to the dining room every night. I'm not talking shorts but just casual wear....
Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2002, 02:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Jacqueline
Default Re: Do ya really have to get dressed up for dinner?

Aerowing, on the Sensation there are 2 "formal nights" where you are supposed to dress up. If you don't want to dress up, find an alternative dinner option for that night somewhere else on the ship, or maybe order roomservice.
At least, this was in november 2000, also thanksgiving week. But what I saw the second formal night, some men dressed up in nice trousers and a shirt (no T-shirt) with closed shoes, and that's OK too.

Enjoy your cruise on the Sensation, we did. It was our first then too.
Old August 1st, 2002, 03:22 AM
Therese

I was actually surprised by how dressed up people were on the Carnival Spirit when we went to Alaska. Many of the men wore full on tuxedos, especially on the formal nights.

Our table made a bit of a pact not to get overly dressed up on the other nights, which suited us
Old August 1st, 2002, 07:49 AM
pooter

I sailed on the Destiny last year. On the formal nights, people wore mostly suits or even sport jackets, not many tuxes. I think as long as you have some kind of a jacket on your OK. After dinner we went back to the room and changed into something comfy. In my opinion, as long as you look neat anything goes.
Old August 1st, 2002, 08:03 AM
Coconut

I will be going on my first cruise 9/2/02 on the Sensation. I am looking forward to the formal nights. I will be wearing my tux and my wife will be looking absolutely faboulus in a new dress. There is something romantic about dressing up for a night out. Of course I realize that these days most people are more interested in feeling comfortable than dressing appropriately for the evening.
Old August 1st, 2002, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Here's a link to an article I wrote on the subject of dress codes awhile back... caused some "interesting discussion" at the time <G>
[url]http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/hum-op/kuki-casual.cfm[/ur]

Frankly choosing a ship that you know has formal nights, and choosing to ignore the suggested rules of behavior because "you are you" seems pretty selfish to me. Wouldn't it make more sense to chose a cruise line who caters to a crowd who wants the more casual atmosphere?

Old August 1st, 2002, 09:04 AM
mare

we have been on at least 11 cruises,8 of them carnival,we just returned on one, a week ago.I have found that on formal nights a nice pair of slacks,a dress shirt and tie are fine.If you choose to not wear a jacket,i found alot of guys not wearing one.So go and enjoy your cruise.
Old August 1st, 2002, 09:57 AM
pooter

Default Re: Re: Do ya really have to get dressed up for dinner?

I agree with Mare. If you do not like to or do not want to wear a tux or suit I don't think you have to. Carnival seems more casual and layed back so I think you can leave the prom gown & tux at home.
Old August 1st, 2002, 01:36 PM
Admiral

That's true. I think the idea of Carnival as a "party animal" cruise line is an antiquated stereotype from the 80's. Sure, there are people looking to party, but there are also people looking for more laid-back fun, and Carnival caters to both types of passenger.

Michelle B.

Old August 1st, 2002, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Aerowing, we may have different definitions of having fun. I love good entertainment, fine food, calm seas, warm sun, relaxing time in the pool, spa or hot tub., etc. I enjoy dressing up a little as we don't get to "dress" for our jobs at home or even special occasions aren't that formal anymore. If you don't own a suit or care to "dress-up" with at least a blazer, that is your perogative, but traditionally cruising has "dress codes". You only need to look your best for about 2 hours on 2 nights. Do you have a spouse or roommate, how is your companion planning to dress? Don't worry so much about not having fun. If your idea of fun is getting knock down sick drunk and messing up your clothes, sure hope we are on different ships. Carnival caters to adults and families who want to have a great vacation experience.
Old August 1st, 2002, 03:11 PM
Beginner

Well I think I'll get by all right by all the suggestions, thanks. If say, you were in the dining room "underdressed" what would happen? Would they kick you out or ??
Old August 1st, 2002, 03:27 PM
lyndammr

Peter,

I don't understand where your comments come from, you say if you want to cruise with "party people" and loud people then go with Carnival, if not choose another cruise line?

I have tried the other cruise lines and always go back to Carnival. Carnival contains people of all ages! I didn't find Carnival to have more of a party crowd than the other cruise lines. I think you feel it caters to "young loud people" because of the fact they have more evening activities aboard their ships and provide such entertainment more into the night than the other cruise lines do.

We sailed the Norway two years ago and found there were just as many families perhaps more so on this ship than on the Carnival Ships. We were woken up by rude cabin stewards who purposly spoke loudly to one another so they could get us up so they can finish their work in the morning (we don't sleep late never past 9am). We sailed on the Grand Princess last year to be woken up every night by noisey people and from nasty crew memebers partying near the crew stairways. We were not on the bottom of the ship right on the Emerald deck and still was woken up all those many nights as late at 5am! I don't know how you could possibly say all the negative things about Carnival. We cruised on the Sensation and had tablemates in the ages between 52-86!!

I don't know how many Carnival ships you have cruised on, perhaps you just had bad luck having loud people in the hallways. I have been on so many I couldn't possibly count them! So those of you who read Peter's post, please do not be discouraged on taking a Carnival cruise as we always have the best of times on those ships. Just remember there are all kinds of people on every ship, young and older, quiet and loud.
Old August 1st, 2002, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Aerowing,
It may be your vacation, but is also a few thousand other people there also having 'their' vacation as well. It is a long standing tradition to dress for dinner and wear the suggested attire, it is all part of the 'cruise experiance' IMHO. Many places on land also require a jacket and tie and you flat will not be allowed in without one so it isn't just cruise ships. Formal night is 'special' and if you don't want to dress up then there is always the alternative dining which has great food in a more casual setting. Don't dress for yourself, dress for you partner, she will love you for it. A good fitting tux is very comfortable and I personally wear mine all evening on every formal night. I feel good and more importantly, my wife feels good. As to the question will they "kick you out?", they would certainly be within their right to as the attire for that eveing is 'formal'. I would hope that all cruiselines start enforcing the dress code a little more.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Post Edited (08-01-02 18:12)
Old August 3rd, 2002, 02:22 PM
Andy B.

My wife and I cruised on the Inspiration in March and at lunch the day of the first formal night I told the waiter (Oscar, he was fabulous) we wouldn't be there for dinner because I didn't have any dress clothes. He assured me what I was wearing would be fine and I argued a few times but he absolutely insisted we attend. He said he'd meet us personally at the back door because I was concerned about the maitre'd. Well he did but I didn't have to worry. I had on casual dress slacks and a dress shirt, no tie or jacket and there were others dressed similarly and absolutely no one cared, and if they did they politely kept it to themselves. The next formal night I didn't worry about a thing and walked right in the front door and no one said a word or took a second glance that I could tell. Renting a tux is a waste of money as far as I'm concerned and I don't want to be dragging tons of clothes around New Orleans or Miami. Have a great cruise and don't worry about the clothes. I'll be on the Paradise in Oct. see you all then.
Andy
Old August 4th, 2002, 11:25 AM
First Mate

I think men look great in Tuxs!
Old August 4th, 2002, 12:00 PM
First Mate

I agree w/Aerowing, this will be the 4th cruise for my husband & myself, and we have no intentions of getting dressed up, shorts & tank top all the way! We have gotten dressed up on formal nights in the past, and have all of the lovely photos we want, so this time will be truly casual! Although we will find alternative dining on formal nights, I'm not sure how the dining room would deal with slacks & a collared shirt on formal nights, but you could always call Carnival directly & get their feedback on it. Better than asking 2nd hand on the boards, I believe.

Happy Cruising!
Old August 4th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Sure hope you don't try shorts and a tank top on ANY night in the main dining room - you will be turned away! Dress code always state NO SHORTS IN DINING ROOM FOR DINNER! - even on casual nights.

Old August 4th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Coconut

If, on formal night, you choose Dockers and a polo shirt or jeans and your favorite john deere cap--I will not be offended, perhaps amused, but with any luck I will not notice you at all. And I agree that renting formal wear is a waste of money but to purchase is a sound investment. If your social circle does not lend itself to buying formal wear, surely every civilized man requires a dark suit—if only for weddings and funerals.

It really comes down to respecting the choices made by your fellow travelers. Few of us sign up for a cruise without knowing the dress code. Why choose a cruise that has formal nights if you do not want to dress appropriately? You should exercise your choice to dress down at the time you book your cruise.

When I chose carnival I knew from the literature that there would be occasions for formal dress. I dusted off my dinner jackets and pants and remembered all the great evenings I spent wearing these clothes (and most of them still fit.) When ZZ-Top sang that every girl is crazy about a sharp dressed man they may have been on to something. Many a romantic evening has begun with her assisting me tying that bow tie.
Old August 4th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Admiral

What I just don't understand is people who either want or demand to ignore the dress code onboard ships! These very same people would never think of going to a dining establishment on shore that required a jacket and tie unless they were wearing one, why should they think it is okay to ignore the dress code while onboad a ship? Come on people, dressing for dinner is a wonderful and classy thing to do. Where have all our manners gone?
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old August 5th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Beginner

nanatravel,
That was a really rude response. Just as you enjoy "dressing up" on vacation because you don't normally, there are those of us who "dress up" every day and enjoy a BREAK from it.
That does NOT mean that we spend our "off" time in sweatpants, holey t-shirts, and puking to the music of Metallica. If people are not dressed to YOUR version of what is acceptable, maybe the problem is YOU. I too, had come here before our first cruise in June looking for guidance...not judgement and condemnation. Posters like you had me scared to death of "not fitting in" on our cruise. I worried for nothing, thanks. Furthermore, from what I observed of our cruise in June, Dockers and a decent shirt will do just fine, any night in the dining room. I did see a few tuxes on the first formal night (there were TWO on a five day cruise!) , but dark pants and button down shirt (some with ties) were the norm. Some were a bit more formal and some less. I saw far more variance in the apparel of the women on board-especially on formal nights!

Aero,
If I were you, you might want to rethink the plan to eat in the dining room every meal- it's overrated and stifling. The service was TERRIBLE, and frankly, I could care less whether the wait staff can sing or dance-can they refill my tiny shot-glass sized glass of water more than once during a 1.5 hour meal? Yes, I tried to ask, but they flew past the table w/o a glance once they dropped off the entree's...that is, when they weren't singing and dancing. The food was adequate, but pitiful portions-it wasn't worth dressing up for.
Old August 5th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Beginner

Man, by the responses by some of these people, you would think they NEVER get out of the house but for a cruise. I indeed do have to get dressed up everyday for work. When I go on vacation, dressing in a business suit or even worse a tux is something I don't want to do. I guess we'll have to get a table with the "fun" people who stay up past 10pm.It also seems to me some people try to outdo each other when dressing just to get attention,that's not me. I will comply to the "dress code"for dinner I guess if I have to. Fun is the bottom line when your on vacation, right?
Old August 6th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Admiral

This is always one of my favorite conversations. It's been around since there have been cruise boards on the Internet. I doubt there will ever be a resolution.

I'm with the traditionalists and really enjoy formal nights. Cruisers know going in what the expectations are. However, there's the non-traditonal combantant crowd with the, "It's my vacation, I paid for it, and I will dress as I please" attitude.

As someone pointed out, good landside restaurants often require a coat and tie and they WON'T let you in without them. Cruise ships used to have no real option. Now there are casual restaurants and there's always room service.

My husband has been known to wear shorts on informal nights -- the "real" Bermuda Buisinessman approach, complete with shirt, tie, knee socks and blue blazer. (He has great legs.)

I think it would be interesting if each cruise line one designate one ship -- or a number of sailings -- as "casual". Carnival has done well with the no-smoking Paradise, maybe a no dress-up ship would be an idea whose time has come?

Old August 6th, 2002, 10:44 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Do ya really have to get dressed up for dinner?

Aerowing said
"guess we'll have to get a table with the "fun" people who stay up past 10pm."

Excuse me, but not all people who enjoy dressing up go to bed before 10pm. That is a generalization don't you think?

Some of us folk who enjoy dressing up, also like to stay up past 10pm.
Old August 6th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Coconut

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Do ya really have to get dressed up for dinn

I may be in bed by 10PM but I promise to keep my tie on ; )
Old August 6th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I told myself I would never respond to a dresscode thread, lol...but instead of my opinion here's my observations of what men wore at dinner on the three Carnival cruises I've been on. They were two 7 day cruises and one 4 day.

7 day cruises - From what I saw, on formal night, the majority of men wore dark suits including the jacket and tie. Some wore dress pants with jacket and no tie..but they were wearing those type of dress shirts with the kind of collar you can't wear a tie with. My son has one but can't remember what it's called, but they looked very nice. A sprinkling wore tuxes. One or two wore a sport jacket with dress pants. I did notice that many men would take their jacket off during dinner. Didn't bother me a bit.

Casual nights, I saw the majority of men wearing docker type pants and polo type shirts. Did have one man show up at our table in jeans and a nice t-shirt. He was neat and clean and none of us at the table cared. Have seen a couple of men in dressy shorts but they wore them with collar shirts but shorts are definitely not the norm on the cruises I've been on. ( it is stated in the Capers that shorts aren't permitted in the evening at dinner in the dining room)

I will mention that on my first 7 day cruise on the Inspiration, they were inforcing the dress code and two ladies at my table were turned away because they weren't dressed appropriately for formal night. They were ok with that, they just had forgotten it was formal night.

4 day cruises. - much more relaxed. On formal night, there was a little of everything. I saw one tux, dark suits with ties but not as many on the 7 day cruises. Saw many more men in suits with no tie or sports coat and nice pants (no tie). Saw quite a few men with just dress shirt and pants, no jacket and some with a tie and some without.

How relaxed the dress is definitely depends on how long the cruise is in my opinion.

Now you might think after all of this, that I'm a member of the fashion police noticing all this... Actually I like observing people and I'm a single female, more incentive to look, can't blame me for checking out what the men are wearing!
Old August 7th, 2002, 05:13 PM
First Mate

I think some people really need a cruise to chill out....basically, on formal nights, wear at least a suit & tie, get beautiful photos taken & enjoy the ambiance...if you don't wish to dress up (as we *won't* be), enjoy the other dining options or room service... it's your vacation, and everyone should enjoy it as they wish!

Happy Cruising!
Old August 10th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Imlulu

We are going on a cruise in February with our 2 boys. They will be 4 & 10. This will be their first cruise. On other cruises most men wear suits and women wear dressy pant suits and nice dresses.
I loved the idea of a casual cruise that a poster menionted. It would be so relaxing with our kids. We plan on doing 1 formal night becuase of the pics. Hopefully will be a nice family picture. The other formal night we are doing the alternative restaurant. I dress up everyday for work. My kids and dh don't like to dress up and kids grow real quick. Clothes become expensive and formal stuff they probably won't wear again. Enjoy your cruise.
Old August 12th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband dresses for work every day. I do too. I loved our cruise on the Sensation recently. You know what??? If you want to dress to the Nines you may do so and feel very comfortable (my sister's family did -- gowns, tuxes, the woiks). They looked spectacular!! We chose a more casual dress -- jacket, tie, skirts and ruffled shirts. You know what? That's what a cruise is for -- you do your thing, I'll do mine. As long as you have some semblence of respectability (no jeans etc.) on formal night, you will be fine. You like to dress, Kuki? Then you should. I like to dress somewhat down from tuxes and gowns, then I should. We're all just sitting and eating... Not getting up for a fashion show (thank God.)