Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:16 AM
cherri

Default new tipping policy?

I have read that some of the ships have a new tipping policy. they automaticly take it out for you. nooo goood for me. First, what if your waiter is not that good? and if he is I like the personal thing. I have cruised 4 times and yesss,,,they have been great, but now if they automaticly get it, what is to say they can just slop your food downnnnn...anyone else hear this. cherri

dont forget to put down when you are going on your cruiseon the other message i posted. about 6 down.
we hooked up with people on the net and me and my kids are still friends.
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Captain

Default Re: new tipping policy?

Yes there are some lines that are doing automaitic tipping. If you do not wish to do this go to the pursers desk and tell them you will tip on your own. Or you can go to the pursers desk and tell them the amount that you wish to tip. Either way there will be no problem.
Old August 5th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Cherri,
This is called "Auto-Tipping" and is being done on many lines now. This 'auto-tipping' is optional and you can go to the Pursers desk and opt out if you so desire. You are allowed to change the amount for auto deductions in any way you choose as well. My wife and I always opt out of the 'auto-tipping' and ask for envelopes so that we may tip in the traditional manner. It is a personal choice as we feel tipping is very personal and wish to also express our appreciation face to face with those that have helped make our cruise memorable. The amount and how you tip is always up to you.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old August 5th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

When "auto-tipping" was first introduced I didn't think I'd like it either. However, after experiencing it, I've decided I don't mind it. If I encountered a decline in expected level of service I'd certainly go to the purser's desk, cancel the tips, and tip what I felt comfortable with.

But, I normally find the service deserves more than the "suggested tip" and can fulfill my need to thank the staff personally, with a handshake and few extra $$ at the end of the cruise. They are very appreciative, because they know who has left their auto tipping in place, and understand quite well that any amount you're giving them is above and beyond the standard tip.

Old August 6th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Beginner

We just got back from 7 days on the Pride, and this was our first experience with Auto Tipping. We were apprehensive at first, thinking that this policy would diminish service by cabin steward and dining room staff. Well that wasn't the case at all. Service aboard the Pride was the best we have experienced, and this was our 9th cruise. We expressed our appreciation on the last night of the cruise by handing each an envelope containing additional $$$.
Old August 10th, 2002, 12:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: new tipping policy?

We did pre tipping on our last cruise. It was great... Just had vouchers in our cruise Doc's .. then the last night we gave out the vouchers in the envelopes. Plus if we wanted to give more we could. Have never had to give less. Always good service on Carnival. char
Old August 17th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Yeoman

I am not in favor of up front tipping! There is no incentive to give superior service when you are guaranteed a 15% tip. I noticed a big decline in service on my last cruise. I am very easy to please but when the servers are standing around and goofing off and I have to ask for a glass of iced tea 3 times, it was a little frustrating.
Old October 30th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Traci

Ho much extra $$$ do you give (over and beyond auto-tipping) for exceptional service? This is my first cruise - just curious.