Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Pt. Canaveral airport

We are thinking about taking a cruise out of Pt. Canaveral and would like to make our own air arrangements. Is there an airport there that we can fly into? If not, where do we go and how do we get to the pier (how long does it take?)? Should we get Carnival transfers? Is it wise to fly in the day before the cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Pt. Canaveral airport

The closest airport is Orlando. I am from Tampa so I am not sure if the transfer from Carnival is good or not. If you fly in the day before I highly reccomend the Radisson at the Port its a beatiful hotel and we were able to find an $85 internet rate on their site. We really enjoyed being able to not have to stress about getting to the port in the morning (even from the 2 hour drive from Tampa) so I would imagine you may have the same piece of mind if you fly in a day early. I am not sure on the best transportation to Canaveral from Orlando. Its about a 30 minute drive . The Radisson has an AVIS rental car on site so it may be conveinent to rent a car and turn in and then pick up again when you leave. Also have shuttles to the pier. Hope this helps. Email if you have more quesitons.
Old August 8th, 2002, 08:16 AM
TomS

The closest airport is Orlando, about 45 miles from the port. If you fly into there on the day of the cruise, it is highly recomended you purchase transfers from the cruise line. Cab fares would be prohibitively expensive. Some airlines fly into Samford airport just northeast of Orlando. However, it isn't clear what transfer options exist between there and tthe port. If you stay the night before in the Orlando area and purhcase transfers from the cruise line, they usually require you to go back to the airport.

TomS
Old August 8th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Pt. Canaveral airport

My husband and I are flying into Orlando on 8-31 and have purchased a shuttle pass,
round trip for $30 each. I understand from several different sources that this is the
closest airport.

Tracy
Old August 9th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Mary Ann

Default Re: Re: Re: Pt. Canaveral airport

We r cruising out of Port Canaveral in December. We took the advice of many from this message board. We r flying into Orlando from NY the day before the cruise. We rented a car because transfers r only offered the day of the cruise. We rented from Avis so we can return the car at the Raddisson Hotel in PC. Where we will be staying. They offer free shuttle service to & from the pier. What is great is that we r arriving in the morning & have the car all day so we could do something fun with the kids (maybe kennedy space center) When we r done with the car we won't have to go out of our way to return it. The car is costing us $70.00 & the hotel is $79.00. The car rental fee is equalivant to the 1 way transfer for a family of 4. We will probably take the cruise transfers back to the airport since our flight is the same day as we return from the cruise. This really works for our family. Whenever we cruise we arrive a day earlier into the departing city that way we don't have to worry about flight delays & we get a jump start on our vacation. There is always something to see & do in every city.

Happy Sailing

Mary Ann
Old August 19th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went on the Pride in February, and flew into the Melbourne Airport, a very nice, smaller airport. The shuttle service to the pier was located right inside the airport and they were very reasonable and very nice. In fact, when the cruise returned, our plane didn't leave until late in the afternoon and they kept our luggage and then took us into the quaint city of Melbourne to spend the afternoon and then returned to pick us up again. All for a small fee. You might want to check into this option. Our plane tickets were a good deal too.