Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Default Kite flying?

I have read a couple references to kite flying while on my rambles through the message boards, and have a few questions. Is the kite flying an organized activity or just something you do on your own? Does the cruise ship provide the kite, or do you bring your own? And, finally, is it done on the Pride? My husband and I will be sailing the Pride on January 4, and kite flying seems like a fun way to spend part of the day at sea. Thanks for replies to my questions!
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Kite flying?

Emily,
This was something that we all did on a Cruisemates cruise as a lark. We actually ended up setting a world record for the number of kites flown from the stern of a cruise ship! It is not only NOT an organized activity for cruise ships, it is basically not allowed. There are all kinds of enviromental issues involved and we had to get special permission from not only the Celebrity home office but also the Captian, security officers, etc for this ship. You won't find it done and actually may get into serious trouble if you did so, sorry.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

PS BTW, it is really difficult because of the swirling winds to even get one launched and few kites are even capable of performing under these horrible circumstances

Old August 14th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Emily ...

As part of the kite-flying alliance, Jim has the righteous word. Take a kite or two with you and fly them from the beaches.

There is NOTHING much more fun in the world than flying kites.

Old August 15th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Kite flying?

Thanks for the answers to my questions, I can definitely understand why it is not allowed, I just wondered if it was an activity that was planned. As for taking kites and flying them on the beach, that's a wonderful idea, I think I'll do that!
Old August 15th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Emily ...

The easiest kites to fly are parafoils. There are some great kite sites if you check GOOGLE.COM

The "snazzy" kites (planes, trains, automobiles, ships, animals, etc.) are VERY difficult to fly if you're not an experienced kiter. Also beware of "trick" or "fighting" kites. Turn away for an instant and they can be toast.

Kite on !!!

Old August 15th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Bruce Tyko

One time I tried this activity in my back yard. I couldn't get the kite to fly.

My wife yelled out to me, "You need more tail."

I told her, "Make up your mind. Last night you told me to go fly a kite."
Old August 15th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Passenger

Pamda,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will try a parafoil. I work at a preschool and the kids just love kites, maybe I will take it to work and test it out with them before we go on our cruise!