Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2002, 07:34 PM
KarenP

Default Category 12

Any opinions on a category 12 suite? I am a first time cruiser trying to decide between a category 12 or two 6's for my family of 4. We will be on the Inspiration. The 12 is quite a bit more and I am trying to decide if it is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Category 12

Unless you would rather be in ur cabin all the time, it doesn't matter at all! Most people are in their cabin's minimumly. Go with the 6's!
Old August 28th, 2002, 10:33 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Category 12

Hi, I agree with Sara. Also we were on the Inspiration in May. It is a wonderful, Beautiful ship. you will have a great time. Just enjoy! Very little time in the cabins I agree... Char
Old August 29th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree with everyone else. You will not spend much time in the cabin. Think of it as a sleeping, changing area that`s all. If you have kids they will have plenty to do and spending time in the cabin will not be one of them. That is one of the great things about cruises you can pick any cabin on the ship and no one will know because everyone is treated equally. So save your money and go with the 2 6`s it will be great. The anticipation is half the fun. I hope you enjoy you and your family enjoy`s the cruise.
Old August 29th, 2002, 10:10 AM
First Mate

We have cruised with our two girls 8 times and always has one (1) inside cabin. It never created a real problem. It was inconvenient at times, but we still had great times together.

Fo us, it was a was a matter of money. We were able to go on more cruses than if we has taken 2 rooms.
Old August 30th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Admiral

I have never been in a cat 12! <> Those are small apartments IMHO and personally I would rather cruise three times in a lower cabin for the price of once in a cat 12
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old August 31st, 2002, 11:09 AM
First Mate

Category 12 is for people who have no idea what they are earning because it doesn't matter ! <> I would echo the sentiments of everyone before me, you'll spend very little time in your cabin, just sleeping, showering, and changing clothes. I agree wholeheartedly with the "insane" one, cruising 3 times in a lower cabin is much more fun than once in a cat 12.
Gary
ELATION - 9/8/02
Old September 1st, 2002, 10:11 PM
TamNMike

My goodness some people get a little worked up huh? We booked a category 6D cabin and were upgraded to a Cat 12 suite and well, I am SO looking forward to it. Guess that makes me a "bad" person...
Old September 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Patticake

Default Re: Re: Re: Category 12

I agree with all of the above but if you like the privacy of sitting and watching the seascape in the mornings or evening a balcony is wonderful. Just got back yesterday on the Inspriation. We had a Cat.11 and it was wonderful. Visited our new friends in their cat. 12 cabin and it was super. The extra space is great. But you have to weight the price for that extra space. Some people like it and some don't. I will always book a balcony from now on. We enjoyed the privacy and the view. There is a few extras that you get when you get a cat.11 or 12. You are a member of the Skippers club which means. You check in at a special desk. No line. And get on and off first. You get terry robes in your room. And you have a refrig., vcr, bigger bathrooms and closets and sitting area. Don't depend on an upgrade to get you a cat. 11 or 12 tho. They did several upgrades on our cruise that got several people upgraded to those cat. tho. And they were pleased. But no matter what Cat. you get you will have a great time. Happy Cruisin.
Old September 2nd, 2002, 01:04 PM
Katheryn

What type of hotels do you stay at when you travel by car? If it is the Ritz then category 12 is for you. If it is a Marriott or Hyatt, try the 9 or 11 mini suites. If it is a Sheraton or Holiday Inn go for the oceanviews or interiors.

I myself have been in all categories from interior to suites. I prefer the extra touches you get with a suite but most of my cruises are balcony staterooms. I will not even consider a ship if a balcony stateroom is not available. That in itself is not so bed because I eliminate most of the older ships that do not have balcony staterooms.

For your first cruise two category 6's would be a good start. Ajoining rooms are the best. When you do try a balcony watch out. Ask if the ship you are sailing on offers any family suites. They are very popular. One sitting area with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Most can sleep six to eight passengers.
Old September 13th, 2002, 07:21 AM
judy and steve

The category 12s on the fantasy class ships are not so huge that a family of four would be really comfortable. There are two twin beds which will convert to a queen and a sectional sofa with a pull-out double bed. If the kids are older, it will be a tight squeeze. I wouldn't think that a cot would fit too well. There is also the bathroom issue. There is only one bathroom and, as far as I know, the cat 12s are the largest on this class of ship. (Destiny class 12s are really huge and would be more well-suited to more people).
We tend to pend lots of time in our cabin. That's why we chose to book a balcony. It is relaxing for us and we like the extra space. Although we do not have to justify our motives to anyone, we certainly have done our share of the lower, inside cabins over the years.
The category 6 cabins are surprisingly spacious. I like the bathrooms better in the 6 than the 12 -- the tub is too small to use and it is a pain to step over it to take a shower. There is plenty of room in these cabins. I think that you would be very happy with these accommodations. I was very impressed with the size of Carnival's cabins.
I have some photos of the category 12s. If you like I can send them to you.
judy and steve