Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to travlin1
Default Carnival- beware

I just cancelled my planned cruise on Carnival out of Miami. It seems that the cruise lines, and Carnival in particular, can change their itinerary at any time. I booked a January 6, 2003 cruise out of Miami on Carnival to go to the Caymens and Mexico. It seemed to be a good choice, since I would be meeting friends staying in the Caymens. And Mexico was a bonus, since I have never been there. Well,....while surfing the internet, I checked on my cruise, but, I couldn't seem to find it. So I called, and it turns out, that after putting money down on the cruise, all of the port stops are changed. Now, they are stopping at Key West and Belize. Since I am cruising to stop in the Caymens, this does me no good. Take special note......all of the countries on the new schedule are different from the ones that I booked. This is NOT just one port stop being changed or cancelled. All of the new stops are in different countries!

I was offered a ship out of Tampa that stops in the Caymens, but my airline ticket to Miami won't get me to Tampa. And why should I trust Carnival to not do the same thing again? I was also offered to go out of Miami a week later, yet,....I can't get off of work on a different week. When I get ready to put money down, I make sure I have that time off of work, and NOT the next week. So,....it's costing me $100 to NOT go on a cruise. Which, I suppose is better than arriving on the ship and THEN finding out that the crusie has been changed. Remember, no one in the travel industry called, or e-mailed, or sent a letter to me to indicate that all of the ports were different. Frankly, I am stunned. I've been on 3 different cruise lines, and it looks like Carnival will not be added to the list. Supposedly my insurance is being refunded too, but,....it will be a while before my credit card statement arrives to see if I get any of my money is really refunded. So,....people....beware. Call and find out if your Carnival cruise is what you planned on,....or if they are going to travel to totally different ports. .. . amazing.....
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Carnival- beware

I am really surpised they didn't at least mail you a note about the change.

Harry
Old September 7th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Admiral

I don't think Carnival, or any other line, EVER, lets anyone know when they have changed the itinerary. I do believe that sometimes the TA's get a fax about siginificant changes and it is up to them to notify their clients.

We are currently booked on Royal Caribbean for a trans-Panama Canal cruise in Nov 2003, and by looking at their website, we have found out that they have completely deleted one port and shortened the stay in Aruba from 36 hours to 16 hours. There has been no notification to any of our group nor to our group TA.

It's in the fine print that they can do it, and they all do it at one time or another. We don't have to like it, but I don't think there's much we can do about it.

jennifer
Old September 7th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Carnival- beware

Jennifer is correct, they can change the itenieries at any time. I am sorry that happened to you. I have cruised Carnival 3 times and never had that happen and am getting ready to book my 4th. I don't think that is a norm but I also know they are preparing for alot of repositioning of their ships. There are alot of Carnival ships and other lines that go to Grand Cay. I hate to lose money as much as the next person but if thats the week and you need to go from Miami to Grand Cay then it is worth only losing $100. Good luck to you,

Diane
Old September 7th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

What Ship where you scheduled to be on?
How many days was your cruise?
Carnival has many ships that sail to those ports, maybe you are looking at the wrong itinerary?

Joe
Old September 7th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Yeoman

We booked in April to go on the Paradice on Jan. 26th and found out in July from our TA that the ship was going into dry dock for the week that we were going. So they changed us to the Triumph leaving on the 25th up-graded us to a balcony and payed for the change fee to change our flight to a different day. We are very pleased. We were very excited about going on a Non-smoking ship but I think they have made up for it. We are also joing 3 other couples and they did the same for them.
It is going to be our first cruize and I am very excited.
cp
Old September 7th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival- beware

Last year we were booked on the Infinity out of Honolulu to Ensenada. Shortly before the cruise, they canceled their stop in Kauai and just docked in Honolulu the lst night in place of Kauai. I was aware of the change from being on the boards but on the flight to Honolulu many of the passengers who were also on the cruise had no idea of the change. I was like Paul Revere on the plane. The reason for the cancellation was that the ship was too large to get into the port--or that is what they said. Many people were very upset because they had plans and Celebrity gave us zero for the change.

John L.
Old September 7th, 2002, 10:48 PM
TomS

Cruise lines can alter the itenerary at any time, including after the ship sails. Usually they will alert the travel agent who then should let you know of the change, or the line will alert you directly if you booked through them. It is unfortunate that they changed your cruise on you. I hope you have better luck in the future.

TomS
Old September 8th, 2002, 01:49 AM
First Mate

Just goes to show you the value of these message boards and even checking hte cruise line websites on a regular basis. Changes in itineraries are usually announced months in advance. I would never expect the cruise line to inform me of the change. But I would expect the travel agent to do so.

I feel for you not being able to change your vacation time and getting what you want. Is it possible to have your TA check ohter cruise lines for the same time going to where you want to go?
Old September 8th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival- beware

How come they didn't know the ship was too large when they scheduled the trip? That sounds like a lot of balony. We/re going through a similar problem on our scheduled trip on the PRIDE, July 2003. We were told, by the TA, that the trip was canceled because "it will be too hot there." I hope this is some kind of joke.
Old September 8th, 2002, 10:42 PM
First Mate

thats sounds like carnival, 11 cruises on carnival, last three had poor service, bad food, and problems on board, reported them to the cruise lines and nothing was done to correct them, we've stoped spending money with carnival...................
Old September 9th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Admiral

I presume the port deleted was Cartegena Columbia. Virtually all cruise lines have eliminated this stop. In addition to previous problems involving crime against tourists and staff and of course drugs, there is now a VERY unstable political situation that has sporadic outbreaks of violence. In one case 23 poeple were killed. Beautiful city, 500 years of history, be happy you are not going (now anyway).
Old September 9th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Your TA should have notified you. If you booked directly with Carnival or any other cruise line for that matter, this is a point for "buyer be aware". Changes do happen unfortunately. Maybe with so many bargains out there, your agent can get you on another cruise line/ship out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale for the same dates.
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to travlin1

Thanks for the advice! Just to clarify,....No,.....Columbia was never a part of the cruise. Also, not just a single port stop was changed or adjusted for time. ALL of the ports on the cruise were changed. In other words, if the cruise was supposed to go to countries A and B, the revised schedule now goes to countries C and D. It is like a bait and switch.
Old September 9th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Or like repositioning their ships, they do that but usually with enough notice. But as lots of other posters said you should be able to get your money and find another cruise for that week going out of Miami or Fl Lauderdale that stops in Grand Cay. Ft Laud is only 20 miles from Miami. I swear every other ship stops in Grand Cay so I don't understand why you don't just change.
Old September 9th, 2002, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Regarding docking in Kauai - that is a very tricky port to maneuver in and out of (we did it on the Summit in May) - and a ship's officer told me that if tidal or sea conditions aren't good, they will not attempt to dock there. Nawilliwili is a port you zig and zag more than once to get in and out of - we watched from the buffet during breakfast and I was amazed at how they managed to get a huge ship to maneuver like that - and I can truly see some ships not being able to dock there because of weather or sea conditions.

Old September 13th, 2002, 02:28 AM
First Mate

This is not a Carnival problem. It is common practice in the industry. They can change when they want. Seems Carnival tried to accomodate you but it just didn't work out. If you want that particular itinerary, just use another cruise line.