Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2002, 04:03 AM
Passenger

Default anyone prepaid their TIPS ? ?Travel agent advises to do so

Going on the imagination on jan 2, 2003 for a 4 day cruise. Our travel agent says we can prepay the tips which would be for a 4 day cruise, $ 39.00 each. Has anyone done this and if so did they still expect you to leave more tips, do they know you have prepaid, was the service as good since they know they have gotten the tip and dont have to try hard to do extras because they have tip??? Not sure I want to do this or just leave a tip on the last night like I have always done.
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2002, 08:09 AM
MIKE AND CATHY SMITH

Default Re: anyone prepaid their TIPS ? ?Travel agent advises to do

We have always toke care of the tips by giving them in person at the end of the cruise. Although prepay is good, we still prefer to give in person. A week before our cruise we get together tips and put in envelopes and pack away until the last night on the cruise and take out for cabin person etc...

Have Fun
Mike & Cathy
Old September 23rd, 2002, 10:32 AM
Admiral

You can do it either way. They will automatically add the tips to your S&S card and you can have them removed and tip in person, (my preferred way), or leave them there, adjust them or whatever you wish.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old September 23rd, 2002, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to natalie

My husband and I booked this cruise as a last minute so price was quite alluring - $199 per person. Quite surprising this cruise cost as twice as much! Then they mention "tips are not included" - take this seriously - it ended up $70 for two for 3 days!!! Water and sodas - $3-$5 per bottle, don't even want to mention the alcohol! Any of offshore excursions are not included (what else left to do on the Bahamas?!) so any of those trips $30-50 per person. So add up another $100. Our final statement with all possible fees, taxes and expenses showed $667!!! For 2 full days of the cruise!!!
Food was quite mediocre… Would I recommend it to others? Rather not…
ncarolina111 wrote:

> Going on the imagination on jan 2, 2003 for a 4 day cruise.
> Our travel agent says we can prepay the tips which would be for
> a 4 day cruise, $ 39.00 each. Has anyone done this and if so
> did they still expect you to leave more tips, do they know you
> have prepaid, was the service as good since they know they have
> gotten the tip and dont have to try hard to do extras because
> they have tip??? Not sure I want to do this or just leave a tip
> on the last night like I have always done.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Stephen D.

I used this option on the Triumph. The service was marvelous. I even gave some more, because both the dining room staff and cabin stwedard were excellent.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I tried the pre-paid tips thing last September and thought it was great at first. Until the next to the last night, my cabin steward got VERY pushy at reminding me that the last night of the cruise was coming up. I knew what he was "hinting" at. I asked at the information desk if the crew was aware of this new procedure and they told me yes. I also voiced my complaint at that time about the room steward being very aggressive wanting a tip. I'd be happy to tell my cabin steward this today but his aggressiveness the last two days of the trip only reduced his tip!

I'd stick to the old fashioned way of giving tips in person. I think it's appreciated more that way and I feel more confident that they are getting their money.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 05:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: anyone prepaid their TIPS ? ?Travel agent advises to

I gave some thought to pre-paying tips, but decided I'd rather do what I had always done. I think it's nicer to be able to hand them their individual envelopes. That way, there's no mistake in them knowing they are appreciated by YOU. (I had worried that maybe they would not realize who had tipped in advance. I seldom over-tip, but did give my room steward Ronaldo, a little extra.
Old September 24th, 2002, 02:16 PM
bab

Default Re: Re: Re: anyone prepaid their TIPS ? ?Travel agent advise

If I understand ncarolina111's original question, they are saying that their travel agent is advising them to pre-pay their tips - This is different than paying them on your sail and sign card. If you prepay your tips when you book your cruise or by final payment then in your documents you also recieve voucher coupons to hand out to your room steward, waiter, etc. Before the last night of the cruise you will recieve envelopes that you put these coupons in along with additional money, if desired, and hand them out to the employees. They in turn, take them and 'cash' them in for the prepaid amount. We have done this in the past. The advantage is that you have already paid for that amount and you don't have to worry about it during your sailing 'budget' and if you think the employee should get more you just add it to the envelope. Again, this is different than prepaid tips on you sail and sign card which gets credited when you open your sail and sign card up at embarkation. Hope I haven't confused the issue more but there are 2 types of prepaid gratuities.
Old September 24th, 2002, 06:48 PM
dwynn

NCL "Freestyle Cruising" charges you $10 per day. This goes on your credit card. If you feel this is too much, they said they would adjust. It was great; no hassle with worrying about having enough cash. Several people (myself included) did tip extra if we wished, but there really wasn't any pressure from anyone. Also, I personally didn't like my cabin steward although he gave me excellent service after the first night. We clashed over towels; I wanted more, saw where they were kept, so went and got them. Evidently this is just not done, especially by a single woman. If the tips had not already been taken care of, the voyage could have been less pleasant (don't know if for me or him ).