Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2002, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Default A few questions for Cotton :)

Since you've been recently on the Holiday, I was wondering what most people were wearing at dinner. I had heard (from the TA) it was dressy casual even at the captain's dinner. I really have no idea on how formal to pack. Also, did you go on any shore excursions? If you did would you recommend any of them? This board and your taking the time to post really helps all of us newbies out. Thanks again, Cindy
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2002, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: A few questions for Cotton :)

My suggestion is to follow the suggested dress which ranges from casual, (collared shirts and docker style attire for the male and dress or nice slacks and blouse for the ladies), to smart casual, (dress pants and shirt with or without tie for men and business dress for the ladies), to formal, (dark suit or tuxs for males and fancy dress or gown for the ladies). Dressing for dinner is one of the nicer parts of the cruise experiance IMHO and one should expreiance this class act instead of taking the attitude of me, me, me, I'll do what I want that some unfortunately do.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old September 22nd, 2002, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: A few questions for Cotton :)

Thank you Jim! On a 7 day cruise there are 2 formal nights and folks, formal means formal attire. Men in suits or tuxes, ladies in gowns or very dressy formal type pantsuits. There is nothing we hate more than those folks who can not take the time to dress up for a few hours/2 nights. Yes we are on vacation but the "dress code" is spelled out so if you don't like it go to the buffet or take another type vacation.
Old September 22nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: A few questions for Cotton :)

Cindy, I found that most of the ladies did dress up, some in full-sequined gowns, but more in dressy, cocktail type dresses, or really nice, silky-type pants outfits. There were more men there in suit and tie (not sports coat) than tuxes, but there were a lot of tux-clad guys around. (There is a formal shop adjacent to the gift shop, and they rent tuxes.) As for myself, I wore a three-quarter length dress with sequins around the neckline. I added sequin clips to my shoes. I like the idea of having a 'formal night''. Just adds a touch of class, y'know? I'm sorry that everyone didn't abide by protocol....but most did.

Excursions - The best value, I believe, is the $19 (really!) park adventure. You go at your leisure, and you can snorkle, lay on a beach chair, walk the beautiful beach, and all your beverages are complimentary, and you can stay an hour - or 5 hours.....it's got to be the best bang for the buck. There are also several little shops there. Others I heard from at dinner went on the dolphin encounter and enjoyed it; however, it's about $80, I think. It's not a 'swim', but an in-water encounter where you interact w/them and feed them.

I did the park adventure, and it was great. I didn't stay but about 3 hours, because I wanted to do some shopping. In 'downtown' Cozumel, I also went to one of the cafe/bars and got a marguerita to go, sat in the Square, and was entertained by some Mexican dancers. A neat fun time, and they didn't even ask for donations! I'm a photographer by trade, so I took several rolls of film of the scenery on Cozumel.

You'll love it all, I'm sure.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: A few questions for Cotton :)

This is one of my favorite photos I took. (Hope I can make this work!)

Old September 23rd, 2002, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A few questions for Cotton :)

Thank you again for your taking the time to answer my quesions about the correct attire. You have no idea how much help it has been. The picture of Cozumel was gorgeous. I'm a sucker for the horse drawn carriages. This is going to be an adventure for sure. Nineteen members (so far) are booked for this cruise. I'm sure it will be something to remember. The countdown continues......lol, Cindy
Old September 23rd, 2002, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A few questions for Cotton :)

oops.........Nineteen Family members.....that is
Old September 23rd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A few questions for Cotton :)

What a great little (big) family reunion that will be! All together on the high seas. I hope y'all have the time of your lives, Cindy.