Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Ralph

Default Booking cruise close to sail date

I need some advice, my wife and I had a cruise on the PRIDE planned for February, even convinced some family and friends to go, but now it appears we can not go. I have a job opportunity I can't pass up that would start in January, therefore can't take a vacation so close after getting hired. Ok now time for the question, I am seriously considering moving my vacation till November, but I never booked a cruise so close to the sail date before. I am concerned about what affect it has on cabins and the paperwork involved. Thank you in advance for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Captain

Default Re: Booking cruise close to sail date

There are several things to be aware of booking close to cruise dates. One important thing will be price of air if you book your own air and finding a flight. Another is there may be a chance you will not be able to get the stateroom you want if you prefer a specific stateroom.

As long as you have all the proper id's to board the ship I say go for it and enjoy the cruise.

By the way Congrats on the new job!
Old September 28th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Re: Booking cruise close to sail date

You're far enough out that you should have no problem processing, and receiving all the documentation necessary. If for some strange reason the docs didn't arrive in time, they'd arrange for you to pick them up at the pier.

As PEB pointed out.. cabin selection, and air (if required) will be your key. If you can find reasonable flights, and a cabin you're happy with it.. GO FOR IT!

A nice cruise vacation before starting a new job sounds like a GREAT plan to me.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 28th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Ralph,
I have booked a number of last minute cruises and sometimes get a pretty good deal in the process. You have enough time. As the others have stated, the only usualy problems are cabin selection being less and if you need air that can be harder or more expensive to come by.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old September 28th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Admiral

I once booked within 3 weeks and my parents did it within 3 days! They just picked up the tickets at the port. It was very easy and they got a good deal as it was the last few cabins they were trying to fill. As the rest said the problem will be in if you are flying and then again sometimes you can get some great last minute deals there also. If you are not picky with the room then no problem. As for a vacation short time after starting a new job, if you tell them you had already planned and booked this vacation they may be willing to work around it, you just may not get paid. Heck when I started a new job I told them in my interview that I was booking a cruise during the spring break and they were A-OK with it. So either way it should work.

Diane
Old September 28th, 2002, 06:47 PM
First Mate

Ralph,

I'm seldom able to plan on whether or not I can be free months in advance. I almost always book the last minute. I recently booked a cruise on the ELATION only several days before her departure too late to have the docs sent to me. I just picked them up at the pier.

I only live 45 minutes from the pier so that wasn't a problem, however, as others have said, airline reservations could be a hassle if one waits till the last minute.

Being a month out from the cruise, I would think airline connections should be fine.

Gary
Old September 30th, 2002, 11:23 AM
First Mate

I agree with Diane as far as telling your employers. We have had many a person tell the hiring folk, in the interview, that they had a vacation planned and/or paid for. All of those people got the ok for the vacation with one of them starting, working three weeks and then going on vacation for three weeks! Just be up front with them.

Of course a nice cruise vacation before you start a new job sounds fine too. I might be doing that as well. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old October 1st, 2002, 09:41 AM
Passenger

We actually met a guy on our last cruise who booke at 9am the morning of the cruise! Just woke up call the TA and said I'd like to go today. What a deal he must have gotten. Anyway, my point is that he drove to the pier and boarded the ship with no trouble at all. And I'm sure ou will do the same. Have fun.

Ecstasy 5/94
Fantasy 5/96
Sensation 5/97
Holiday 10/98
Fascination 5/99
Triumph 8/99
Inspiration 9/00
Spirit 5/01
Victory 10/01
Triumph 9/02
Old October 10th, 2002, 12:57 AM
hilley

I booked one two weeks before sailing and had the docs in two days by fedex. It was the last cabin on the ship so there was no choice there.