Hi there- although i have cruised twice before, it was in my single days. my husband and I will be sailing the Sensation 4day this November with a 3
year old and an 18 month old and I have several questions:
1) Will the kids need seasick wristbands (upper deck outside cabin)
2) Can I put a 3 yr old in an upper berth safely?
3) Does Camp Carnival give pagers when my 3 yr old is there?
4) Do kids also have to follow the no shorts rule in the dining room? does the dining room have booster chairs and high chairs?
5) How quick is the service in the dining room - on average?
6) Can we bring our double stroller on board?
7) Should we bring car seats for shore excursions or is that not realistic?
We traveled on the Imagination (5 Day) two years ago with a two year old. And again on the Zenith last year when she was three. To answer your questions:
(1) I would say no. Kids (in general) do not have the same problems with seasickness as adults. I remember someone telling me it has to do with their lower center of gravity. True or not, I do not know, but my daughter was fine, even on the Zenith going to Bermuda in some rough waters.
(2) I wouldn't. My daughter slept with my wife with me in the upper. We tried a rollaway on the Zenith, but the room was too small. If you are going to be using a crib for the 18 month old, there will be no room for a rollaway anyway (unless you are in a suite). My daughter wouldn't sleep in the crib on the ship (when she was two), so she ended up with my wife.
(3) Yes, Carnival does give out pagers. Camp Carnival is great by the way.
(4) We dressed my daughter up for the one formal night, and she wore sundresses the other nights. They do have booster chairs and high chairs (and crayons and coloring books/menus) as well.
(5) We found it to be pretty quick at dinner, as we had early sitting and I have found the serivces at early sitting to be faster then late. Breakfast we usually had on deck. Lunch was also pretty quick. We only had one slow lunch. We also tried the casual dinner on the Lido Deck. The service there was good as well. My daughter did get a bit ansy at dinner, as would be expected by a two year old. Too many courses for her. She was somewhat better the second time around on the Zenith when she was three.
(6) Sure. You'll need it for the ports. We didn't really use our single stroller on the ship, other then to stroll my daughter around to get her to nap.
(7) Not really realistic. We had our car seat as we took it on the plane, but never used it at any of the ports. I didn't see anyone using theirs either.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here (or e-mail me). Traveling with young kids is a lot of work, but it is also a lot of fun. My daughter had an amazing time on the Imagination. We are skipping this year and next, but will be back to crusing in 2004 when my daughter is 5 1/2 and her sister will be 2 1/2.
Taking a double wide stroller for the ship may be a bad idea. At varioust times of day those stewards have their carts in the hallway. I dont know how wide your stroller is but on the ship you may have a hard time getting around on the deck with the cabin rooms. (not the public areas.)
You have a point, but having a stroller is a must when traveling with young kids. Easier to take a double then two singles, unless all of the Carnival ships now rent strollers (I know some of them do). In that case it is probably easier to rent two for the cruise.
> Taking a double wide stroller for the ship may be a bad idea.
> At varioust times of day those stewards have their carts in
> the hallway. I dont know how wide your stroller is but on the
> ship you may have a hard time getting around on the deck with
> the cabin rooms. (not the public areas.)
Thanks for all the great advice. Hopefully there is a place we can store the car seats. We have a side-by-side double stroller but it fits through doorways and is very collapsible and lightweight so it's the only one I will travel with. This is my husband's first cruise, as well as the kids, so hopefully all goes well since we will be without vacations for a while with baby #3 coming in March!