Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 3rd, 2002, 08:27 PM
Passenger

Default sovereign of the seas or fantasy?

we are definitely wanting to book a bahamas cruise, but would like to know which ship is the best. we've only been on one other cruise, the ecstasy. we really liked that cruise experience. we really liked carnival's entertainment and food, and wonder if sovereign of the seas would be the same..
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: sovereign of the seas or fantasy?

Fantasy is like the Ecstacy but the SOS also stops at a private island that is very nice. It would really depend on what kind of room you would get for the cost. Carnival rooms are bigger and I think their food is better but then again that private island is nice. This probably didn't help much but something to think about.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 4th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Admiral

We do this trip often on both of the ships just because it is so easy for us and inexpensive. We prefer the Fantasy for the rooms, entertainment and food. We like the Viking Crown Lounge and drink prices on the SOS. Overall, we give the nod to the Fantasy. But the SOS stops at CocoCay whereas the Fantasy stops in Freeport. Freeport is not much once you've been there a couple of times.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 4th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: sovereign of the seas or fantasy?

Hey Thomas when did Fantasy start going to Freeport? When we went last year it went to Nassau.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 4th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: sovereign of the seas or fantasy?

I thought it had always gone to Freeport??? Back in 96 we went there on it. Anyway to the orginal poster, my wife has been on both ships and would definitely encourage the Fantasy. Plus thats where we got married, so it can't be all bad. :-) If you liked the Ecstasy, the Fantasy will not disappoint. Why mess with something you know you like. In my opinion that is.

Ecstasy 5/94
Fantasy 5/96
Sensation 5/97
Holiday 10/98
Fascination 5/99
Triumph 8/99
Inspiration 9/00
Spirit 5/01
Victory 10/01
Triumph 9/02
Old October 4th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: sovereign of the seas or fantasy?

Well, we just left the Fantasy, great ship. A 4 day goes to Freeport, don't think the 3 day cruises do. We also have been on the Sovereign's, it's all in what you make ouf it. Grant you, the private islands are like a shore excursion without the $$$$$.. Bring your snorkeling gear, if you're into that. We did , had a blast.
Old October 4th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Passenger

P.S. If you like lobster, Carnival serves it on 4 days, Royal did not..............:]
Old October 4th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Passenger

thanks everyone for the info. we've decided on booking the fantasy for march 2, 2003 can't wait to see the bahamas for the first time. hope not too many spring breakers out at that time. we decided on cruising to the bahamas in march because delta airlines was offering some really great deals on airfare from salt lake city.
Old October 5th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Mike I was on the Fantasy last year and it went to Nassua so I don't know why as a hurricane had ripped thru the week before but when I booked it they told me Nassau which I think is nicer than Freeport so I was not complaining or questioning.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 7th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: sovereign of the seas or fantasy?

It stops in Freeport first, and then Nassau. Our last trip on the Fantasy was 8/01 and we are going again in Jan. and June '03.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 7th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Huh that's odd we were on it in Nov 01 and when we booked 3 weeks in advance we were told the port was Nassua only. I'm not trying to argue but that's were we went which for me that was great.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 7th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Admiral

On the Fantasy....

The four day cruises go to both Freeport and Nassau.

The three day cruises stop in Nassau only.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 7th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

It depends on your age and if you like the party atmosphere that carnival has. I am 45 years old and have been on 3 carnival ships and I have been on the Sovereign of The Seas. We had a large group of people about the same age as I am and we were some of the youngest on the ship. Compared to carnival the sovereign of the seas catered to much older than us. All of us that had been on a carnival cruise knew as soon as we boarded the ship the atmopshere was definitely NOT like carnival. Too laid back. No 24 hour pizza and the rooms were smaller than carnival ships. We got the room steward to take out the chair because there was no place to store our empty luggage. Our travel agent recommended the sovereign of the seas saying it was a step up from carnival. There was not as many games to do on this ship. I will never go on a royal caribbean ship again unless it is free!!! (maybe when I don't want excitement anymore and just relax and when I get 70 years old). We went the night before the ship left and stayed at a resort and when our waiter asked " you folks going on the Fantasy?" We said no we are going on the sovereign of the seas he just looked and said "oh". now I know why. Would not recommend this ship if you want action BUT if you are older and want less action then this ship is for you.
Old October 10th, 2002, 12:39 AM
hilley

I found what ncarolina111 to be true also when I went on Royal. and it's even worse on princess. After going on those two lines, I can't wait to get back on a Carnival ship
Old October 11th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sovereign of the seas or fantasy?

Fantasy does Freeport and Nassau on its 4 day cruise, Nassau only on the 3 day. I have booked the 4 day for May2002, and am considering adding the 3 day to it.