Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Upgrades

Friends of ours got upgrades on Legend immediately on booking. One couple got an immediate upgrade from inside to balcony 8 months prior to cruise. We are interested in finding out if there are anymore offers like this out there. We are interested in booking for this coming winter. Please help. Thanks.

PS: Never heard of this before. Want to take advantage is there is such a thing.
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Upgrades

Hi Gail,
Sometimes there are deals, where when booked, they will automatically upgrade you, so check with your travel agent and see if there are any promotions like that. You can also book a "guarantee" cabin catagory and that will guarantee that specific catagory and possibly better, so thats always a good option if you don't desire a certain cabin.

Here ia a link to an article that explains booking the guarantee way:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...guaranteed.cfm

Hope to hear soon that you've booked a cabin and already received an upgrade:-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 15th, 2002, 07:32 AM
jess98ac

Default Re: Re: Upgrades

We booked an 8A in June for this November on the Pride. We were upgraded to an 8E, then and 8I, and then just heard from our TA on Friday that we're now in an 11!!
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Upgrades

I understand and am familiar with such upgrades close to sailing; but in the 20 years we have been cruising have never heard of such upgrades 8 months before sailing (immediate upgrade from inside to balcony upon booking). What happens closer to sailing when you want to book a balcony and there are none available because of all the upgrades, and only inside cabins available. It just doesn't make sense to me. Are the cruiselines in such a bad shape that they don't believe they will fill the ship. We are experienced cruisers and have never got an upgrade. We have been paying for a balcony, but now I feel as if we have been taken. We just got back from a Yangtze River cruise and booked a suite. On boarding, people had the opportunity to upgrade at a lower price than we did. That is understandable because all the suites were not filled, but to think that we are booking a balcony at the same time others are booking inside cabins and being upgraded to a balcony makes me very MAD!
Old October 15th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Wow I never heard of such a thing either. I know that for the past few months CCL was offering 4 cate upgrades for bookings but they stated it was inside to inside, oceanview to oceanview etc. An inside to balcony 8 months prior is unbelieveable! The best I ever got was inside to oceanview. I want to take that cruise and book with that TA!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Hey gail (or Alexa - you seem to change identities from board to board) - I receive a lot of promotions from TA's offering immediate upgrades (book an inside and get a outside, book an inside and upgrade for $1 to a balcony, etc) from on line TA's - this is not common but does occur.

Old October 16th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

We booked a 4A and upgraded automatically to a 4C. We are going to upgrade to a 6A once Carnival starts upgrading the ocenview rooms. I call once a week to check with the Carnival agents. Also they run the specials for past guests, and they are giving handouts for those sailing up until March right now. The Carnival rep I spoke to yesterday told me to call back the first week of November and they should then be extending through April which is when we will be cruising.

Legend OTS 12/26/07
Carnival Destiny 7/1/07
Radiance OTS 12/26/06
Carnival Destiny 7/17/2005
Carnival Inspiration 12/30/2001 - Honeymoon
Old October 16th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Hey Lisa whos the TA giving balconies for $1?

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 16th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Default ? for DecBride

What kind of handouts are you referring to? Did you book directly thru Carnival? Did you book thru a TA but Carnival is giving you the upgrades when you call them? What are you asking for? I booked last month for this Feb cruise. I paid for a 4a cate and because I'm a past cruiser I got a upgrade to 5a. I went from an inside room to porthole room but I would rather have oceanview. The only balconies this ship had are with the mini suites and it was more than double what we paid so I'm interested in learning more about what you are saying.

Thanks

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 16th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

I want to know who that travel agent is too!!!!! Please let us all in on this!!!!
Old October 17th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Joanne A

HI everyone!!
I'm new to this site & never been on a cruise, but have wanted to for longer than I can remember. From reading about upgrades it seems that you really need to know the system to get a fair deal. Which would be best for me, using a TA or calling carnival myself? Also do any of these great rates your talking about have hidden charges?

Thanks Joanne :-)
Old October 18th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

When I was speaking of the handouts I was speaking of upgrades. We booked with a TA. I do not call the agent when inquiring about upgrades, I call Carnival directly. The agent at Carnival gave me the information about upgrades at this point. She told me that right now they are having specials for those cruises through March. She also said that if there is a change in price or any upgrade status we will be credited and will know about past guest benefits for April in November.

I am not sure if I answered your question or not. Let me know if I can be more specific in any way.

Legend OTS 12/26/07
Carnival Destiny 7/1/07
Radiance OTS 12/26/06
Old October 18th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Default Thanks DecBride

I just called Carnival before I checked the board because I swear this morning I could not find my post. Anyways Carnival had no idea what I was talking about so I got no where with them. I'll try again maybe I'll reach someone who knows or will make the effort to find out. Thanks again.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 18th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Thanks DecBride

I called Carnival too. They knew of no promotions. There must be a secret! We have been cruising for 20 years; you would think we would know how to get these upgrades by now! Duh! I would love to pay for an inside cabin and immediately get an upgrade to balcony. Do not want a "guarantee" as we would rather pay for a balcony than to take the chance we "might" get one on embarkation. But, I would love to know how to get these immediate upgrades upon booking. Please let us know which TA's are getting immediate upgrades!
Old October 18th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know that as far as upgrades go you are always told to book the minimum category cabin that you would be satisfied with. Some people just book and inside and get upgraded, or an inside gurantee. Last time we cruised we picked an oceanview gurantee, but only got upgraded one floor. I suppose that was because it was a New Year's cruise. Booking an inside and getting upgraded to a balcony is the stuff that dreams are made of! I wish the upgrade fairy would sprinkle that kind of dust on me!!!

Legend OTS 12/26/07
Carnival Destiny 7/1/07
Radiance OTS 12/26/06
Old October 18th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Admiral

I want that dust too! I'm perfectly happy with an inside room because frankly I would prefer to spent the extra money for a balcony cabin for shopping or another cruise. I would however like to get that balcony from only booking an inside, ha, that what dreams are made of.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old October 19th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Passenger

This is just my PERSONAL opinion, but I don't think anyone should be disappointed if they do not recieve these upgrades you are speaking of. Come on...you are going on a vacation...for that matter, a cruise! Why put so much energy into worrying about an upgrade. Enjoy the moment. You will always be disappionted if you are constantly wishing you had more. When I was younger, my parents would always remind me to be very careful what I wished for.....you may not like outcome. Be happy with what you know you already have!
Old October 19th, 2002, 12:02 PM
MEMC

we usually always book the category we want so that we know we will be happy. since the Costa Atlantica will never again sail without the balcony. so we won't leave that to chance. However, we sail on the Victory over Christmas and twice have been offered an upgrade from 8A to 8C but it is the same cabin only higher up in the ship. we like amidships plus our kids have two inside cabins on the same deck (upper) as we are, which we also booked on purpose. So we turned down the upgrades as we are right where we want to be. The boys would be thrilled with an upgrade to oceanview but I keep telling them don't hold your breath. Also, our cruise rate has gone down twice since we booked last November. Once quite drastically and once 50.00 per person but that means more to spend on board. When you have 7 people going, that can really add up. Now I found that the rate has decreased but we are paid in full. SO, thanks to the boards, I will be asking our TA to get us an onboard credit. That works for me!
Old October 19th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Upgrades

Hey Jayne I don't think anyone was complaining that we want something for free, as I stated in my prior post I'm happy with an inside room and that's usually what I book. I am a frequent CCL cruiser and if available I will be happy to take an upgrade. By all means I agree to book the cate you will be ok with and I do. There is nothing wrong with hoping to get an upgrade. I do agree it's ridiculous to book an inside and hope that you get a balcony. I was raised the same as you but there is nothing wrong with getting a little lagnippe. That's what makes for variety and the spice of life.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97