Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2002, 04:21 PM
glen

Default New Legend Review

Hi,
Just posted a new Legend review in the Member Reviews area.
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2002, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: New Legend Review

Hi Glen,
THanks for sending in your review, I know quite a few cruisers were looking for one recently, going over to read it now :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 22nd, 2002, 08:21 AM
glen

It isn't there yet. I guess it will take a few days before they post my submission so, I'll put it here too....

Cruise to Nowhere October 17 through the 19th.

The day before the cruise, we couldnít find my birth certificate. I called Carnival and they told me that under no circumstances would I be allowed to board the boat without it. They were also very quick to tell me that I couldnít get a refund either. So, the day of the cruise, we left early and went to the town I was born in (Denville, NJ) to get a copy of the certificate. It happened to sort of be on the way from Pennsylvania to NYC, so it was no big deal and went without a hitch.

Carnival said that the ship was to start boarding at 1:30. There was an accident a few cars ahead of us in the Lincoln tunnel heading in to NYC from Jersey so we were backed up. We got to the pier and waited in line for about half an hour. It wasnít too bad and we were able to check in pretty quickly. Guess what?!?! They only looked at my photo driverís license and they didnít check the copy of my birth certificate! I wasnít too thrilled about that, but I was on.

There was a line as soon as you got on the ship for the elevators, so we walked to another bank of elevators and carried our own bags to our room. The good thing is you are never more than a few steps away from an elevator on this ship.

We got to our room (4211) and opened the door. There was more room than I thought there would be and lots of closet space. The bathroom was nice size with plenty of room to move around. On the vanity, there was a basket filled with everything you needed including tooth paste, Tums, deodorant, mints, razors, soap, shampoo and conditioner. The only thing you need to bring is a tooth brush and shaving cream. There were no outlets in the bathroom and the hair dryer was in a drawer in front of a large mirror in the main room. There were two double beds separated by a night table. When we cam back later, the night table was moved and the beds were pushed together. The room opened up to a small balcony with two chairs and a table. Nice view.

The ship itís self is huge, but it didnít take me too long to get my bearings and I was able to find things quite easily. We went up to the top deck, hung out and had some drinks. Then we went inside for a look around. On the Lido deck, they had burgers, fries, pizza and all the fixings. Iíve seen some people on the message boards saying that the dťcor on the ship was ugly. I wouldnít necessarily agree, but it was extravagant.

We had the late seating for dinner. The Truffles restaurant was huge and nicely decorated. Our seating assignment had us at a smaller table with a couple from Connecticut. The food was good although the service seemed a little slow. We were in no hurry to go anywhere, so we didnít mind. The food was well prepared and tasty.

By the time we left the restaurant, it was 10:30 and we were tired due to a water problem we had at home that kept us up the previous night, so we called it quits and went to bed.

The next morning, we woke up to a rocking ship. It wasnít much, but you could notice it occasionally. There was a noríeaster a few days earlier that stirred up things up and caused 9 foot waves. The captain changed course and headed south. By the afternoon, you didnít feel any waves at all. I was quite surprised that the shipís stabilizers didnít fix the problem. Like I said, it was no big deal.

After a great breakfast on the Lido deck, my wife and I walked around and decided to catch a trivia game in Billyís Piano bar. Everyone had a great time but unfortunately, I didnít win the plastic ship trophy they were giving away for the most correct answers. After that, we headed to Follyís Lounge for ďThe Game ShowĒ. That was fun too and everyone laughed their butts off at the audience members who participated. In between having drinks, a cigar on deck and eating, we also went back to Billyís for a name that tune contest. Again, it was a great time.

Dinner that night was excellent, but slow again. Afterwards, we went to Follyís for the main show. It was nice, but half we through, we decided to head back to Billyís for the sing along. We had a great time and hung out with our dinner-mates until 2:30 in the morning (so Iím told).

The ship docked at 7:30 the next morning. We woke up, showered, had breakfast, purchased some pictures and were off the ship by 9:30.

My biggest complaint is it was too short! Overall, I would rate the ship as follows (out of five stars)Ö

Service 5
Atmosphere 4.5
Room 5
Food 4.5
Fun 5

Glen
Old October 22nd, 2002, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Glen, I just looked at your photo gallery since you added more pictures. They are great. I am not a digital photographer but use SLR. How did you get the dome and mural in the Golden Fleece to not be Pink? Every photo I have taken comes out pink with the reflection from the red glass funnel/dome. I have seen others mention this same thing.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 12:29 PM
glen

Default Re: Re: New Legend Review

I wish I could tell you, but I have no idea. I used a cheap digital camera and I just pointed and clicked. One thing that may help is I took it very late in the day and I think the clouds were covering the sun at the time.
Glen
Old October 22nd, 2002, 02:22 PM
Passenger

Glen

We are sailing on the Carnival Spirit in April 03. We have vacationed on other Carnival ships (Fantasy Class) that have a private area for topless sunbathing. My wife who was born and raised in Europe enjoys this form of sunbathing, but does not want to offend other passengers or families. Carnival has told us that there is an area on the Spirit/Legend class ships that are separate from the rest of the open deck areas. When we look at the deck plans for this ship, we can't seem to find an area that is separated. Can you confirm if there is an area for this. We would like to know before making our final payment
Old October 22nd, 2002, 02:49 PM
glen

Yes, the do have one. I replied to your other posting on this subject. Have fun!
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Glen, enjoyed your review! I just have to comment though that some people feel amazed that there is motion on a ship........you are on the ocean! Even when it appears calm there are currents, etc. To feel no motion in 9 foot seas is something that cannot happen, even with stabilizers, depending on wave, wind and current direction. Some of the times I have been most affected by mild seasickness is when it has appeared very calm outside.

Old October 23rd, 2002, 10:23 AM
Bruce Tyko

Thanks for the great review.

Is there a formal night on the two-day cruise to nowhere? I have heard conflicting reports.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 11:11 AM
glen

Default Re: Re: Re: New Legend Review

Bruce,
Yes there is. We found out last minute from our travel agent (my aunt). I wore a jacket with a nice shirt and pants because I figured it wouldn't be too dressy for a nowhere cruise... I was wrong. There were also some people who were very casual and they stood out. I think Carnival should do a better job of letting you know when they send you your documents. Next time I'll bring a suite.
Have fun!
Glen
Old October 25th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Peggy R

Default Re: Re: Re: New Legend Review

In a message from Nanatravel they stated your photo gallery was great. Do you have pictures of the Legend and if so where can I view them. We are sailing on the legend in April 2003. This will be our 3rd cruise with Carnival (Destiny & Triumph) both was great cruises. We had the honor of having John, as the Cruise director on both ships, he is great. Do you know who the cruise director is on the legend?

We are sailing to the Southern Carb. Any information on what and what not to see would be great.

Peggy Sailing date April 3, 2003
Old October 28th, 2002, 08:40 AM
glen

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: New Legend Review

Hi Peggy,
Here are the pictues I took... http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/view.php?id=678
I'm not sure who the CD for the Legend was, but he did a good job.
Our cruise was a trip to nowhere, so I couldn't give you advice on the Southern Carbian.
GlenPeggy R wrote:

> In a message from Nanatravel they stated your photo gallery
> was great. Do you have pictures of the Legend and if so where
> can I view them. We are sailing on the legend in April 2003.
> This will be our 3rd cruise with Carnival (Destiny & Triumph)
> both was great cruises. We had the honor of having John, as the
> Cruise director on both ships, he is great. Do you know who the
> cruise director is on the legend?
>
> We are sailing to the Southern Carb. Any information on what
> and what not to see would be great.
>
>
> Peggy Sailing date April 3, 2003