Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Destiny Man Overboard

Thanks Pamda, I hope you were able to set some folks straight. This has really gotten annoying because some one won't let it go and she wasn't even there. I realize Jim may have gotten harsh earlier on up the thread but after what happened to the last topic similiar in nature he really needed to but unfortunately it did not work. Folks, please get a grip, for the ones that were there I am sure it was horrifying and it's funny that they aren't the ones yelling out for compensation. It's ridiculous. I agree an explanation at least after things calmed down and maybe there was one but some people did not hear it! Things happen whether we are on vacation or during our daily lives. I try so hard to take things with a grain of salt. Life is not perfect and if that's what you want then you need to go somewhere else because IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN HERE!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Destiny Man Overboard

I don't know about cruise ships, but part of our training back then was "fright flights." When I was an instructor we'd take our wanna-be stewardesses up in the air, give them a nice lunch (instructors served as FAs) and then the Captain would cut the engines and we'd drop like a stone. Anybody who freaked was on the next plane (or, in extreme cases, train) home.

Thanks, Pamda, for reminding me why I do not want to be a flight attendant. I would have totally failed that test. Sounds like one of my worst nightmares.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

(Who refuses to ride roller coasters or any rides that drop)

Old November 1st, 2002, 10:08 AM
Genrd

I am sitting at my desk, laughing. This is so ridiculous. Just think: if a loved one of yours fell overboard, wouldn't you want the ship to take any measures possible for their safe recovery? And if your bottle of rum ,that you probably smuggled on board anyway, got broken, big deal. The captain was trying to save someone's life. So, get over it folks. The ship, the cruiseline, the captain - no one owes you anything. You should all be thankful that someone's life was not lost. THAT would be tragic.
Old November 1st, 2002, 11:23 AM
Admiral

The part of this thread that irks me is the request for compensation.

Some people today think they are entitled to a risk-free life. If anything inconvenient or injurious happens to them it is someone else's fault and they should pay! It's ridiculous.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 1st, 2002, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re:Destiny Man Overboard

Well if everyone had known before hand that they were going out to save a life it would have been different but the stupid part it they were not told. After it happend was when lies were told by security and announcements were made. What makes me sick is that if it was any of you, YOU would be the first ones to be pissed. And as for that person who yelled man overboard.. I can bet they didn't give a rats "butt" about it!

And obviously people will panic when they are not told what is going on. Even after Security told them 3 people, then 2 people went overboard. humm what was all that?!
Old November 1st, 2002, 12:47 PM
jwendt

Default Re: Re:Destiny Man Overboard

i just wanted to thank who ever started this chaos , 13 of us leave this sunday on the destiny . A few cruises ago my wife and i went thru a tropical storm on the celebration after trying to out run it off the coast of Cozumel. It was not the most pleasent trip for my wife and after reading this she is reluctant to step foot on another ship.....so i hope those that want their compensation get there $100 drink voucher to help them sleep better at night
Old November 1st, 2002, 01:13 PM
Admiral

In my opinion, it would be better not to tell everyone that 'they were going out to save a life', why? Then you'd have the gawkers getting in the way while the crew are trying to do their job.
Old November 1st, 2002, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Gee, Jen, think about your request for an announcement BEFORE the manuever occured - in the time it would take to make that announcement, at the speed the ship was traveling, if there was someone who had gone overboard, it would probably be too late, they would have been sucked underneath the ship. Seconds matter in an emergency situation, evasive manuevers need to be done IMMEDIATTELY,not after making an announcement to pacify others on board! I, for one, would rather the Captain and crew do everything they are supposed to do in that situation first and THEN explain. And I think CruiseAholic makes a very valid point - if an announcement had been made, how many passengers would have rushed onto deck to try and gawk, thereby making it even more difficult for the crew to do a headcount and ascertain for certain if anyone had gone overboard.

Old November 1st, 2002, 01:40 PM
Passenger

Exactly, CA.......I was not going to post since this thread is getting SO long, but since you said what I was going to say, I figured what the heck...
We once had medical emergency on a ship I worked on involving a seriously ill crewmember. While preparing to airlift the crewmember to hospital the crew were required to provide "crowd control" in keeping passengers away from the site where the helicopter would carry out it's rescue. This was extremely difficult as the passengers would not listen or do as they were told because they were just too interested in getting video and photos of this "amazing" rescue, thus putting the crew trying to do their jobs, and other passengers in danger. When there is an emergency on board ship PLEASE do as instructed.....the crew are trained to handle all emergencies and (should be) drilled at least once a week.
Having said that, I by no means am trying to downplay what you went through on the Destiny. Of course it is a very scary situation but emergency protocols are followed and address the most immediate danger first. I am very sorry for what happened to you but let's just be happy that the captain and crew responded in the best way possible to a man overboard emergency. It could be worse.....they could have just kept sailing and said "oh well, looks like we lost another".
Old November 1st, 2002, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re:Destiny Man Overboard

I agree with you Jen, and apologize for my misrepresentation in my above post. I had originally put a paragraph in there stating that in this case a prior announcement would've reduced the (potential) liability the cruiseline might have for any injuries sustained in the manuever. But I removed it before posting because I thought that might lead this thread into the legalities of negligent behavior and passenger's reasonable expectations of prior knowledge of potentially hazardous conditions.

If you re-read my post above you'll see I am a proponent of an announcement prior to making the turn so people could have taken some precautions. I stand by this. In fact, I was the one who first mentioned it. Yes, expeditious reaction to a man-overboard situation is clearly important, but so is the safety of 2000 other passengers. If, as Anne stated, it takes 19 miles to turn a ship around, then a ship traveling at 25 knots would take roughly 45 minutes to make the turn. For the safety of 2000 passengers and crew I would think the 8 seconds it takes to make an announcement prior to turning would have been a wise choice.

I'm sure some others will think that the cruiseline did the correct thing and there was no room for improvement. That the captain didn't have time "to pat the head of every passenger to calm them" as one posted. However, I do not think that passengers who did not suffer any damage should be compensated. Those that did suffer damage should take it up with the cruiseline.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 1st, 2002, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Just because I always like to have the last word ...

and I hope this is. In case it isn't , I am putting on my flack jacket.

With all due respect to Jen who, apparently, was not on the ship and is working with second- and third-hand reports, this is W-A-Y out of proportion.

Take a deep breath. Take another.

You are the Master or senior officer on the bridge. You recieve a "man overboard." What is your first concern? Glasses in the dining room? No. A life that may be lost on your watch.

Would any thinking, caring human being complain about a bump or a bruise if a life could be saved?

Ah, but we forget the lovlieness of a Class Action Suit where passengers should be compensated for those bumps and bruises. Would people sue if there were a rogue wave that accomplished almost the same thing as a hard turn? Who is the defendant then? God? Mother Nature? They don't have checkbooks.

When you book a cruise, you put yourself in the hands of the Master of the vessel. It is his call, and his call alone, or his designated subordinate, as to what takes place. You also put yourself into the hands of God and Mother Nature. When we sail upon the seas or, even, drive down a highway there are risks that we might not imagine. Would one instigate a lawsuit against a state's Department of Transportation because some dolt who might be drunk starts a multi-car accident on I-95?

In any emergency/panic situation 20:20 hindsight applies. THIS could have been done better. THAT could have been done better.

This horse is dead. Stop beating it.

Gratuitously, if people did NOT hear the announcements because they were not listening. if people went into panic mode rather than calmly waiting for instructions, that's their set of problems and they should just get over it.

Asking for financial compensation just rots my socks.

If anyone can come up with a reason why it should be granted, I'd be interested to hear the logic.

Old November 1st, 2002, 05:10 PM
Captain

Default I started this mess

Yes, it was my post that started this mess.
I was interested in more information, as we recieved very little on the ship.
I have been on over 15 cruises, maybe more, we never counted.
Our week on the Destiny was perfect. It is a humongous ship,
It is beautiful, and except for trying to find the Onyx lounge, easy
to navigate around. I was involved in a group of 34 people,
a group which I started 14 months ago. Our entire group was happy
with the cruise, and ready to book again. After the "little incident",
the opinion in our group was "Joe knows how to throw a party".
The manuver mentioned in the above string is a life saving manuver
designed to save a life in the water, even at the risk of breaking a few
dishes onboard. Yes, there were people frightened, yes, we were awakened
at one in the morning, and yes, we all came home in one piece.
If I was scheduled on the Destiny tomorrow, I would not hesitate.
If I had the opportunity to spend another day at Megans bay, a little "bump"
in the night would no stop me. Go and have a good time, just tell
"Jorge" thet we on a previous cruise felt a little left out of the information loop.

Joe Kelly
Old November 1st, 2002, 05:17 PM
jwendt

Default Re: I started this mess

thanks for the words of encouragement , we will ask lots of questions of the crew about the incident while on board and may be able to shed some light on the subject next week when we return
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:39 PM
Still Shocked...

Default Re: I started this mess

Well Joe I guess I qualify too! I was on the Destiny that night and a week later I am still shocked at the magnitude of fear I (and others) felt during/after this terrifying incident.

Since reading these posts and talking to others, I think I'm getting a better picture of what happened. I am disappointed that this was not handled in a better way. It would be wonderful if our 'chats' will help to change protocol. After the emergency something should've been said indicating this type of turn was normal procedure, nothing was said.

I would like to thank Anne for your posts. Your information was wonderful in helping me to sort this mess out! Others of you have added some wonderful insight also, thank you. When people are afraid, they need compassion and understanding...some of you need to learn that.

The Destiny is a wonderful ship and for the one(s) that are leaving next week, have wonderful time. It would be interesting to hear what the crew has to say about our 'incident'! Blessing's to all of you and let's pray we made a difference~

Bonnie Hoffer
Old November 2nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
travelmayer

Default Will Carnival Comment?

I think it's time for Carnival to make an official statement. Even if their statement is "No Comment".

I've been on more than 17 cruises and never had any type of occurance like this. I was not upset about what occured. Heck if I went overboard, I'd hope they'd stop and search for me. But why did we search if there was not an overboard situation?

Too many questions and not enough answers. I've sent my comments to Carnival. If I receive and answer I'll let you know.

P.S. It's still my Destiny to cruise. And yes Joe does know how to throw a party! When are we going again?

Ken@galaxseaonline.com

aka "The Cruise Guy"
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:05 PM
On the ship

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Destiny Man Overboard

You were NOT on the ship, so you can STOP making your comments. For those passengers that were on the ship it was very upsetting..... What you report is not FACTUAL and maybe no one will ever know the truth, but please if you were not on the ship as we were, keep YOUR opinions to yourself. It was a horrible, unfortunate incident to a perfectly wondderful week. Many passengers got hurt and were VERY scared, I was one of those passengers. I was asleep when it happened, all still don't know the truth, but know that I was more scared than I have ever been.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:09 PM
On the ship

The Galaxy is the dining room on the ship Destiny.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:16 PM
On the ship

Default Re: Re: Re: Destiny Man Overboard

You really are an insensetive jerk, Jim. Remember YOU WERE NOT ON BOARD, WE WERE!!!!!
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Will Carnival Comment?

Carnival DID comment. It's on this thread and a separarate posting above.

Nobody died. Nobody was injured. Enough said.

Why this topic is worth 76 postings is beyond me.

Anne Campbell
Editor
CruiseMates

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:26 PM
On the ship

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Destiny Man Overboard

We were on the ship and experienced this, if you were not there you cannot imagine it. I will not believe anything because Carnival was not truthful with us. If you would have been turned upside down in your bed and then heard the panic and fear in the CD voice that night, you may be singing another tune. People were running around fearing for their life.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Because they are busy SAVING the life. Turning a ship around is a very big deal.
Please, give them the benefit of a doubt that there are priorities over public announcements, including conducting a very complicated maneuver.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:40 PM
On the ship

First of all you were NOT on the ship, I was... It was terrifying and the ship did turn enough for someone to have fallen off, my husband fell out of bed and everything we had on the counter and bedstand toppeled over. What is to say that a person couldn't have. I thought Carnival initially did a good job of informing us, but I was real upset that in the end we were not told the truth. IF we were told the truth, I would have let it go and not be on this message board... I will not be going on a cruise for a very long time. That incident will be forever with me. Everytime I closed my eyes for the next couple nights, I had flashbacks of what happened.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:43 PM
On the ship

Easy for you to say
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

On the ship - maybe cruising is not for you at all. You might have been frightened, but remember one thing - THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW IF A MAN OVERBOARD SITUATION IS REAL UNTIL MANEUVERS HAVE BEEN MADE AND A HEAD COUNT DONE!!!! Would you like to have been better informed, yes; but is that possible in real life in real time? NO!!!! Be glad that the crew did what they were supposed to do instead of holding your hand!

Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:51 PM
On the ship

Default Re: LIGHTEN UP, FOLKS!!!!

Anne it is easy for you to say lighten up, you were NOT on the cruise. For those of us that were, it was extremely frightening. Everyone was terrified. If it wasn't that extreme, why was everyone so frightened. I am not a paranoid freak, nor is my husband and we were both scared. After the "incident" we got up and dressed and grabbed our life jackets. If it wasn't so bad, why did most of the passengers do that. Please do not make light of this, it really was very frightening.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:56 PM
On the ship

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: LIGHTEN UP, FOLKS!!!!

Debate, what is there to debate. If you were not on the ship, you have no room to talk, especially you Mr. Bragg. It is really easy to comment when you did not experience this.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 11:03 PM
On the ship

Diane I was there and there was no announcement.... I wish everyone that wasn't there would stop putting in their opinions because you don't know
Old November 2nd, 2002, 11:05 PM
On the ship

I don't have a problem with the turn nor the way the captian handled the initial search. It was the fact that they did not tell us the trith in the end
Old November 2nd, 2002, 11:12 PM
On the ship

We understand that, they could have told the truth in the end
Old November 2nd, 2002, 11:14 PM
On the ship

Don't need compensation just the truth..