Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:17 PM
On the ship

Default Re: Re: Will Carnival Comment?

It is worth 76 postings for the people on the ship. You are being very rude and insensitive. People just want to know what really happened. Carnival lost all its credibility with me. Honesty goes a long way. I would be completely satisfied even if they made a announcement the next morning
Old November 2nd, 2002, 10:20 PM
On the ship

Default Re: Re: Destiny Man Overboard

I didn't want anyone to hold my hand, I wanted a announcement informing the passengers what had happened. If you were not there, you have no idea what occurred so I would appreciate it if you would stop making light of a very frightening experience.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Destiny Man Overboard

I guess the horse has multiple lives.

I don't think anyone here intends to say that people were not, at least momentarily, frightened by something totally unexpected. It's what happened later.

Had there been an emergency situation that impacted upon the passenger complement, you can bet that there would have been announcements all over the place.

I cannot understand why passengers would take it upon themselves to determine that the ship was capsizing, put on their life preservers, and start running around the ship in a panic.

I don't want to sound less than compassionate, because I am certain it was scary. However, if folks paid attention to the lifeboat drill (very few seem to) they'd know that if there were life danger TO THEM that instructions would be instantly forthcoming from every speaker on the ship even in the cabin if the speakers were turned off. There is an over-ride for emergencies.

As a practical matter, the lack of information is GOOD information. It means you are in no danger. You might be wondering, "What the He!!?" but without being told there is danger, there isn't. That simple.

Carnival has issued an official statement. It was published here. If the "incident" was over, it was over. As Anne said, nobody was killed. It seems that injury reports are second-hand at best.

No story. Further, it's simply impossible that anyone was turned "upside down" in a bed. It's that kind of inflammatory language and description that simply add fuel to a fire that should be going out by now.

As to the idea that such a turn could have thrown "others" off the ship, it's not very likely. Next time you sail, stand against the rail on a weather deck and see where the rail "hits" your body. Naval architects are paid to think about these things. And I'll bet $5 that your center of gravity is well below the top of the rail.

Personally, I find it bothersome that those who have attempted to explain what might have happened from a calm, practical, experienced point of view are being excoriated.

Post Edited (11-02-02 23:15)
Old November 3rd, 2002, 10:54 AM
On the ship

Well pamda you were not there. Yes, my husband was thrown out of bed. Yes our room was trashed. Everything we had on the counter or tables fell. Our glasses broke and quite a few things got ruined. I WAS THERE... My possessions were detroyed. It was a fear I felt. I never said the boat went "upside down", sorry if that is what you read into it. I think you have alot of nerve criticizing someones real fear. And when something like this happens, it is only instinct to grab for your life perserver. It is human nature, after the initial announcement people were not running around crazy with their life jackets. (not on my floor anyway). People were justifiably scared. I don't know if you are a parent, but as a parent, I will do anything to save my child. Yes rationality leaves you in certain circumstances and the real fear those parents felt was justified. I don't want anything from carnival, never asked for anything but a truthful explanation of the nights events. And yes, I do think the passengers of the ship Destiny were entitled to that.. If they could make nnouncements during this that turned out to be false, why couldn't they state the truth after gathering all the information. A announcement the next morning would have been sufficient to all passengers.
Old November 3rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
Not so shocked anymore...

I thought this issue was put to bed...however, you have pushed a button I can't ignore.

What exactly is 'CM First Time Cruisers Editor and author of cruise control' anyway??? You have made many posts and I still don't understand your authority. So far your comments have not been worth responding to. You have nothing to base your comments on because you see, HELLO, you weren't there. Please hold your self back from responding anymore. Those of us that WERE there will appreciate not hearing from you again. I'm not a rude person, but you seem to bring out the anger in those of us who did have the terrifying experience.

I'm sorry to the rest of you but enough is enough!

Anne you said Carnival has responded here, could you please refer me to that post? I would be interested to read what they had to say. Again, thank you for all of your help with this. I picked up our pictures of our cruise today and I actually had thoughts of cruising again. As terrifying as this incident was, life will go on and hmmm...cruising may be a part it :-)

It isn't practical flying to all of the islands we saw in 7 days and thought of not seeing them again would be tragic.

Bonnie Hoffer
Old November 3rd, 2002, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Destiny Man Overboard

Hi Bonnie,
Here is the link to the response from Carnival from a Carnival rep:

http://cruise-forums.com/forums/read...=21543&t=21470

I must say, I was so glad to hear that you have thoughts about cruising again some day, I hope they continue, because like you said, its a great way of seeing a lot of islands in one week that you couldn't do ordinarily. Its unfortunate that this accident on your cruise did scare you so badly, but hopely in time, it will effect you less and you can start planning that next one, sure hope you do!

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 3rd, 2002, 07:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Would everyone just snap out of it.. Opinions are opinions, and that's final.. Hey all I said was if people could get compensated for Delays then this should not have been a problem to compensate for ths.. BUT The truth is far more important.... NOW there are a lot of people here who yes were not they like myself.. but wow I didn't know there were soo many careless people.. Sure if I went overboard I would want someone to come for me but here is what no one gets.... AN ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE THE FACT WOULD BE NICE.. that's all I'm saying.. I own nothing to any of you.. I am ONCE AGAIN saying it's an opinion...

And as for Carnival.. you actually think they will state the truth.. get real.. they are just trying to cover their own rear ends....

You have a problem with my freedom of opinion.. email me don't bother here..
Old November 4th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Default For those on the ship.

Does anyone have any pictures from this event they can post in the gallery?

I sympathize with those on the ship and wonder why an announcement wasn't made by Carnival after the fact. It seems a prudent thing to do, unless I'm missing something.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 4th, 2002, 12:12 PM
travelmayer

Default Carnival DID NOT Comment?

Anne, I believe you stated that someone from Carnival had a response? I contacted Carnival personally and asked them for their official comment. They adivsed me that they did not have one, and would get back to me.

Since I was told on the phone they did not have an official comment, I'm not sure I believe the response you mentioned.

"You" stated that Carnivals official comment was that there was a "Medical Emergency" and someone shouted "man overboard" instead of "Help". If this is the case, then why would we continue to search for 2 hours, and why would the Coast Guard Helicopter arrive? Wouldn't they just resume the cruise and say it was a false report?

I believe there are too many questions and not enough answers. Personally I want to hear it from Carnival and no where else. I think everyone else who was on this cruise should also request a personal response from Carnival. You can send your emails to grelations@carnival.com

As for fear of cruising, I have none. No one else should either. I'll be sailing Saturday, November 9th onboard Carnival.

Bon Voyage!

Ken Mayer
Old November 4th, 2002, 12:20 PM
travelmayer

Default Carnival Comment

I want the phone number for Jennifer de la Cruz from Carnival.

I asked the Guest Relations Department for a response and they stated they DID NOT have one at this time. That was Saturday, November 2nd.

Perhaps I'm getting the run around, but I want to hear it from Carnival. So if someone has an email or phone contact for PR Director Jennifer de la Cruz, I'd like to have it.

my email is ken@galaxseaonline.com

Thank you
Old November 4th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Can't we all just get along?

That's all I really have to say. I just wanted to post the One Hundredth Post on this thread. Woo hoo!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 4th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival Statement

I asked Carnival's Jennifer de la Cruz for the REAL story on what happened aboard Carnival Destiny. Here's her statement. This is the LAST time I'm posting it.

The last night of the voyage somewhere around 1:30 a.m., some guests reported a "man overboard" off the starboard side the ship. The bridge was notified and quickly did a maneuver that is designed to swing the tail of the ship away from the side of the vessel where the person went over. This is apparently intended to swing the ship's propellers away from the vicinity of where the individual allegedly landed in the water.

The ship then started slowing its speed so it could do what is called the Williamson Turn which is conducted during man overboard situations and is designed to rapidly turn the ship and bring it back to the approximate vicinity of where the person went overboard.

In the midst of this process, we notified USCG and started conducting a roll call to account for all guests and crew. In order to most efficiently and expeditiously accomplish the accounting of all souls on board, guests were asked to remain in their cabins. Once that was completed, we determined no one was missing.

It is my understanding that an announcement was made to explain to guests that it was a man overboard situation and that the resulting maneuvers are what caused the toppling of items that weren't secured. Unfortunately, that is sometimes going to happen when you do these maneuvers but they are conducted to try to save the life of whoever has gone overboard.

Further, when someone reports a "man overboard" we have to give them the benefit of the doubt and conduct the maneuvers.

Anne Campbell
Editor-in-Chief
www.CruiseMates.com

"Give me ambiguity or give me something else."

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old November 4th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival Comment

I am certainly not providing the phone number of any cruise line contact. The put out a statement about what happened LAST WEEK, which I posted. I'm certain that Carnival -- like most folks -- has moved on to more important things.

Nobody died, nobody was injured. Got that? If you think there is some sinister conspiracy here, fine.

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old November 4th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Ken... if you reread Jennifer's explanation, there was no mention made of a medical emergency, only that someone reported a man overboard, and the appropriate maneuver began, and was reported to the coast guard.

I would think at least 2 hours would be necessary to complete the search, and check all cabins (both passenger and crew) to make certain no one was missing.

Jennifer further states that an announcement was made that it was a man overboard situation. Whether this was lost in the fear of the moment, or if something else was announced, I don't know. I wasn't there, and no one has who was has made any reference to what was announced.

While I'm sure it was a frightening situation when it occurred, thankfully it was a hoax, and no one was lost.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 4th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Admiral

"Nobody died, nobody was injured. Got that? "..............Anne Campbell

Stillshocked posted on 10/29 she (a Registered Nurse) treated a young girl who's knee was swollen three times it's normal size. And she said she was sure there were many injuries.

I'm calling Judge Joe Brown to remedy this dispute! <grin>

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 5th, 2002, 12:10 PM
travelmayer

Default Speak the Truth Please

I received a telephone number for the Carnival Public Relations Department. And I telephoned. I was unable to speak directly with Jennifer, but I was told that there has been NO official statement from Carnival regarding this incident.

Why would you say there has been a statement, if Carnival says there is not?

Once again I'm being referred to the Guest Relations Department of Carnival. I would like an explination directly from Carnival, and I'm sure everyone else thats writting would too.

I only want to hear the comment from Carnival, not from anyone else. Once I speak with them, or receive an email, then I'll be satisfied.

Ken
Old November 5th, 2002, 12:20 PM
travelmayer

Too many emails with lots of rumors. I did read that response again, and you're correct there is no mention of a medical emergency.

So, if this was a hoax, why would we continue to search even after the room count? Too many things just do not add up in my opinion.

Thats why I would prefer to hear things from Carnival. Maybe we'll never know?

Ken
Old November 5th, 2002, 12:34 PM
travelmayer

Default Carnival Says

I finally received my response from Carnival.

They said the call was a hoax and nobody went over board.

The explanation for the emergency actions that we're taken was a result of the hoax call of "Man Over Board".

I hope they know who made the "Fake Call" and deal with them appropriately.

If you we're on this cruise and would like to receive your own comment from Carnival, then contact their Guest Relations Department.

If you're not happy with this then call 20/20. I have a quarter.
Old November 5th, 2002, 08:42 PM
On the ship

Default Re: Speak the Truth Please

Thanks Ken for checking this out. I agree with you.
Old November 6th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Winner

Jennifer de la Cruz IS the spokesperson for Carnival; it is for that reason that not everyone call Carnival directly. Why second-guess her statement? She is also quoted on Cruise Critic. Put it to rest: Cruisemates has kept us all informed, as has Carnival through Ms. de la Cruz. Enough, already!
Old November 6th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Winner

Jennifer de la Cruz IS the spokesperson for Carnival; it is for that reason that not everyone call Carnival directly. Why second-guess her statement? She is also quoted on Cruise Critic. Put it to rest: Cruisemates has kept us all informed, as has Carnival through Ms. de la Cruz. Enough, already!
Old November 7th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Rosanne

Were you actually aboard the Destiny that night? I was and I don't buy Ms. de la Cruz explanation for one minute. Carnival does pay her salary after all.
Old November 7th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Rosanne

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Destiny Man Overboard

I've only just discovered this board after searching for some truth and closure to the traumatic night aboard Carnival's Destiny.

I'm sorry to have to inform you, Jim but what you report is NOT the truth... perhaps one more rumored account. Rumors were running rampant the next day.

The gentlemen that reported the "Man Overboard" were just a few cabins from mine and I spoke with them that night. There is not an ounce of doubt in my mind that they heard what they said they heard... a woman in the water screaming in desperation for help. I spoke to these gentleman eye to eye that night, they were clean cut ,and appeared to be completely sober and they appeared to be extremely concerned about the woman whos cries they heard.

I don't believe for a microsecond that this was a hoax. It was terrifying and extremely traumatic. I too sustained an injury that night and was seen by the ship's doctor and a nurse that night. I was offered a trip to the San Juan hospital upon our arrival but declined. I don't expect compensation from Carnival but I DO expect the truth and I do believe that Carnival owes each and every one of us a personal letter.

Furthermore, I find it appalling all the garbage I've read on this board from people who were not on that ship that night. I, personally, have spoken to a friend who was on a Carinival Cruise that had a "man overboard" situation. Her accountings of the announcements and of the degree of tilting to the ship during the maneuvers don't hold a candle to what we on the Destiny experienced on that night.
Old November 7th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Rosanne

Default Re: Re: Carnival Comment

Anne Campbell wrote:

> Nobody died, nobody was injured. Got that?

To my knowledge, you're right, Anne, nobody died. BUT... MANY people were injured, myself included. AND the ship's Doctor personally told me that there were several passengers with injuries "far more serious than" mine.

Furthermore, our suite was on the Starboard side, deck 7 and we (my husband and I) personally saw the ambulances that met the ship.
Old November 7th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Rosanne

Ali wrote:

> Just wanted to add, as a former crewmember that yes, all
> protocol suggested here for a MR. MOB (man overboard) is
> correct......this has only happened once on all the ships I
> have worked on, but the captain announced that he would be
> making a sharp turn, to be heard on all open decks and alerted
> the pax to go inside in order to avoid anything like another
> pax falling overboard.

Sadly, this didn't happen on the Destiny. We were not advised that the ship would be making a sharp turn. There were no announcements to protect passengers who might be on their balconys or near the rails of the shp. The first indication anyone had that there might be trouble was that of the shipping quickly tipping greatly and everything crashing to the floors. No announcements came until nearly 1/2 hour later and the panic in the cruise director's voice certainly wasn't reassuring.

Perhaps the maneuvers were correct and surely a life in the water calls for swift action. No one would dispute that. However, the communication (or lack thereof) leads those of us who were on the Destiny that night to wonder what really happened and did the person go into the water before or after the shipped leaned so dramatically. I realize that the "official" statement was "false alarm" and the statement we received at 4AM was "hoax". Sorry.... I just don't buy it! It doesn't gel with everything I know to be true.
Old November 7th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Rosanne

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: LIGHTEN UP, FOLKS!!!!

Anne Campbell wrote:

> it quickly and safely. Letting the passengrs wait a bit until
> it can be fully explained is understandable. After all, those
> aboard the ship were in no danger at all. There were no
> injuries.

WRONG WRONG WRONG and totally presumptuous of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 7th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Rosanne

BRAVO.... STANDING OVATION!!!!!

What astounds me is the pompous, self-rightous, callous attitude of pamda and a few others I've read on this board. Geesh... we were there ... THEY WERE NOT! My husband and I are getting more and more ired as we read the stuff that has been written by these creeps who were not there. And... by the way... the writer of Carnival's official statement is employed by Carnival. Truth???? You decide!

On the ship wrote:

> Well pamda you were not there. Yes, my husband was thrown out
> of bed. Yes our room was trashed. Everything we had on the
> counter or tables fell. Our glasses broke and quite a few
> things got ruined. I WAS THERE... My possessions were detroyed.
> It was a fear I felt. I never said the boat went "upside down",
> sorry if that is what you read into it. I think you have alot
> of nerve criticizing someones real fear. And when something
> like this happens, it is only instinct to grab for your life
> perserver. It is human nature, after the initial announcement
> people were not running around crazy with their life jackets.
> (not on my floor anyway). People were justifiably scared. I
> don't know if you are a parent, but as a parent, I will do
> anything to save my child. Yes rationality leaves you in
> certain circumstances and the real fear those parents felt was
> justified. I don't want anything from carnival, never asked for
> anything but a truthful explanation of the nights events. And
> yes, I do think the passengers of the ship Destiny were
> entitled to that.. If they could make nnouncements during this
> that turned out to be false, why couldn't they state the truth
> after gathering all the information. A announcement the next
> morning would have been sufficient to all passengers.
Old November 9th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Bonnie Hoffer

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Destiny Man Overboard

I am so glad to hear from you. I have tried to understand (and believe) the story Carnival has told. I was on the ship in cabin 8-279 and it was horrible/terrifying. I have spoken with others, including the coast guard, they either tell me what we've been told so many times in this message room...'you were too emotional and that's why you think it was worse that it was' or 'that doesn't sound like a true man overboard situation'. What is the truth and please don't sent posts telling us to drop it! My email address is: bhoffer1comcast.net for those who were there would like to discuss how to get to the bottom of this. I have tried to talk myself into believing them but something just isn't right.