Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Passenger

Default Men's Formal Dress

For the formal nights, is a dark brown and black sport jacket with dress pants enough for a guy, or does he really need a dark suit? My husband does not have a need for or own a dark suit. And, from what I understand, are khakis and a nice shirt suitable for dinner on all other nights?
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Men's Formal Dress

A sport jacket and slacks is really informal wear. If he absolutely does not want to rent a tux (what are your wearing?) then he can get away with the sport coat. Do make sure he wears a coordinating shirt & tie. Docker style pants with cotton sport shirts or izod style shirts work well for Smart Casual evenings. Just no denim or shorts unless of course your luggage has not arrived on the first evening so you can change if he chooses to wear jean to travel in.
Bon Voyage
Old November 7th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Tami, I have been on 14 Carnival cruises, including two on the Pride. A nice sport coat and tie will be fine on formal night. I have a couple of nice suits but when I go on Carnival, I take my old standby dark blue sport coat. Don't worry about it--you will see what I mean when you get there. Go, have fun and don't worry.

Re/ Carnival's shore excursions. you can pull them up from their website.
Old November 8th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Captain

As Ron said He will be fine with the sport jacket and nice pants! You will see others wearing the same. Relax and enjoy yourself.
Old November 12th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Ferdinand Marcos

I wore nice pants, a black silk shirt, and a coat. No tie, and I looked great....well at least my wife said so. Anyway, I saw people in Tuxedos, but most people were dressed nice, but not as nice as I thought. Lets face it, this IS a vacation. Do you want to wear a monkey suit on vacation? I have no problem dressing for dinner, but I wear a tie every day. I don't want to wear one on a cruise.
Old November 12th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Men's Formal Dress

Ah, Ferdinand this is not Disney World : ) I agree with you it is vacation but it is not the typical vacation. While I am sure you looked just fine and I do know that alot of folks don't dress up like they should for formal night. It really irked us that they didn't because the dress code was clearly stated. This is only 2 nights for a few hours. It really is fun to dress up, so be a sport. It's like going to a ball or prom.