Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Default Carnival policy on charge card holds

After I called my bank today to confirm the maximum amount I could use on my VISA check card if I used it as a charge card (which, BTW was a whopping limit of $3,000 per DAY, and the amount I could get from an ATM was $300 per day), I called Carnival to confirm the amount that is "held" for each person when you use your credit card. The rep. told me there *was* no set amount.

When I told her that the brochure says something entirely different, she said that no matter, there IS no set amount.

I was under the impression that the ship "holds" from $200-$300 per person (depending on the length of your cruise), much the same way a hotel holds (or freezes) that amount when you reserve a room with a credit card.

On our last cruise, the frozen amount (according to the purser's desk it was $250 per person) was released the night before our final day and the correct FINAL amount was taken from our card.

Anyone have any insight from personal experience?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:57 PM
HOSKI

Default Re: Carnival policy on charge card holds

watch Carnival on releasing those holds. Carnival does not usually activily release them they let them expire. Just had a problem with this in June.
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Admiral

When do they expire? I didn't realize that the holds were only good for a certain period of time. I've heard one other poster complain about this same thing.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 7th, 2004, 08:11 PM
HOSKI

Default Re: Re: Carnival policy on charge card holds

I've heard 10 days but am not personally sure because our bank removed it themselves when we called them back after the overdraft. Carnival managed to completely screw up our transaction. It was a little of our fault because we decided after the first day to switch to a credit card. Stood a long time at the Purser's desk and he guaranteed us all charges from minute one would go on the credit card. I knew to ask because of posts on another board. Ended up they charged to that point on my debit card plus the original holds and then the remainder on my credit card.
Old July 8th, 2004, 05:16 AM
bjkeen

It's much easier to put whatever you intend to spend today on your Sail-n-Sign card today, it is deducted after the purchase and you don't have a bill after you return home. I had the credit card bills after I returned home once and it took away from the cruise fun everytime I opened the bill.
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Admiral

I agree bj. I used my VISA check card. Although it "acted" as a credit card, all the charges came directly out of my checking account. Nice to come home knowing I won't have a big bill coming in the mail! It also forces us to only spend what we have...

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:22 PM
retiredldo

Default Re: Re: Carnival policy on charge card holds

We have always used our charge card, received the final bill and watch it post to the account within a couple of days and no holds of any sort have ever showed up on our bills. I am sure they do that to ensure that the credit is good, rest assured the cruise lines are not going to lose money

One of the funniest things on a cruise is to watch the folks get their bills, I remember once, the gent came out and picked his bill up and then I thought he was a drill instructor, off he went we charged another cruise blah blah it was funny stuff

Pete