Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Danny

Default Rent Tux or Bring Suit

I'm undecided, do I bring my dark suit or rent a tux from the cruise line. What are the advantages or disadvantages of both. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Rent Tux or Bring Suit

Danny,
By renting a tux onboard, saves on packing and luggage space. With your own dark suit, you know it fits etc., so its obviously your choice. I'd recommend in the future if you think you will be cruising more, just buy a tux, just the price of a few rentals would pay for your own nice fitting tux! We found a Giness warehouse sale 2 years ago and was able to get great savings off a brand new tux, they also sold used for very good prices, so keep an eye out for a sale like that.

What ship are you cruising on?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 19th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Rent Tux or Bring Suit

Also if there is a Value City by you they sell suits and tuxes at very good prices. The only thing is they don't alter but you could get lucky with a good fit that just requires a hem. But as Donna says if you plan on doing alot of cruisin then buying would be an advantage.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old November 20th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Danny

Tammy and I are cruising on the Paradise on Dec 15. We will be celebrating our 25th anneversary.
Old November 20th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Rent Tux or Bring Suit

Congrats Danny! Happy sailing!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Passenger

I bought tux last year (adjustable waist), cheaper than renting on board (based on two cruises).
Also bought colored ties to match wife's gowns.
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:09 AM
Admiral

I purchased my tux from Men's Wearhouse in 2001 just before my wedding total bill was a little over $300. Figured it was just as cheap as renting a few times. Now that I may just finally be going on a cruise (had to cancel honeymoon cruise due to stepdaughter's illness) it will finally get used for a second time.

Post Edited (11-21-02 08:10)

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 21st, 2002, 05:33 PM
First Mate

I have been hearing that a Tux is not needed and very few people wear them. A nice suite is the best way to go, I will be sailing on the conquest Jan 12, 2003. Can some one shed some light on this subject for me .
Old November 21st, 2002, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Hi Dan,
Its true, a tux is not needed, but you will see some. If you already have one, by all means pack it, if not a dark suit will do fine.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 22nd, 2002, 07:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

When you rent a tux on board, do you get it for the whole cruise or do you have to rent for each formal night.? If you have to rent for each formal night, this could get quite expensive when there is more than one.

Heidi
Old November 22nd, 2002, 07:59 AM
Admiral

Hi Heidi,
The tux would be for the entire week, with 2 shirts for the different formal nights, so no problem, the price quoted is for the week.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 22nd, 2002, 10:46 AM
Passenger

Danny,

You should think about your spouse when considering this. How often does she get a chance to see her husband smartly dressed in a tux? Think about the photo(s) you can purchase and how pleased she might be by having these memories. If you don't think this will matter to her, than by all means wear a suit. Just remember to relax and enjoy your cruise.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Have things changed a lot since the '80's? We haven't cruised since 1987 and back then, so few people wore tuxes that the few who did looked out of place. Now I hear a lot of people on the boards talking about tuxes. My husband is not the dress up kind of guy. He wants to wear his sport coat. He doesn't own a suit (at least not one that fits anymore). I plan to buy my 14 year old son a dark suit since we also have a wedding to go to soon. Would my husband look to dressed up if we rented a tux and my son was wearing a suit?

Heidi
Old November 22nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Heidi,

I don't believe things have changed all that much since the 80's. The amount of people who wear tuxes varies from one cruise to another and depending on the cruise line. My wife had to drag me on my first cruise because I was in fear of having to do the formal thing. Now, I enjoy these nights the most as I try to look good for my wife and her for me. I tend not to worry about what other guests are wearing. I think this is true for a majority of passengers. On Carnival, it is really not necessary to wear a tux. If your husband feels more comfortable in a jacket & tie, then let him feel comftable doing that. He most likely will be dressed better than some of the other passengers who will come to dinner without a jacket & tie. A dark suit will be fine for you son, wether your husband rents a tux or not. Just remember this, you are on VACATION so relax and enjoy it! I hope this helps your situation.
Old November 27th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Michie

Hi: I found out that renting can be expensive, so I went on E-bay and found rentals to (buy), for $40.00 ea. I also got the shirts/ties for $10 ea. But one good thing about renting - - - you don't have to pack allllllllll that stuff!
Old November 28th, 2002, 11:36 AM
First Mate

I will take my 6th Carnival cruise next week. I have always brought a dark suit, white shirt, and tie. I have never rented a tux for a cruise. I've traveled with a group of people and friends on every cruise http://www.ircruise.com and few men rented tuxes.

Here are the pro's and con's I see to renting a tux:

Pro's:
- You'll look really good!
- Your spouse, girlfriend, partner, mistress, or wife will appreciate it. (That could provided "extra benefits" later the same evening)
- If your wife/spouse, girlfriend, mistress plans to wear a formal gown, you will want to wear a tux so both of you are comparably dressed
- If your cruise coincides with a special occassion (e.g., honeymoon, on board wedding, etc.) you'll probably need one anyway
- If you've never worn a tux, go for it!

Con's:
- Can be expensive
- Depends on the cruise line. On Carnival there were only 2 formal nights on a 7-day cruise. On a shorter cruise, there will only be one formal night. So will you get your money's worth?
- Not many men I've seen rented tuxes. You may be over dressed
- more stuff to pack
- Renting a tux from the cruise line won't help you if you need to dress formally during a pre- or post-cruise hotel stay in your departure city. A lot of the fun of a cruise is to arrive in your departure city 2 days ahead of your sail date, so you can enjoy that port.

I hope that this helps.

George
Ecstasy, Dec. '98
Imagination, Dec. '99
Fascination, Dec. 2000
Destiny, May '01
Destiny, Dec. '01
Victory, next week!
http://www.ircruise.com
Old November 28th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Passenger

I found a great tux on ebay through cheaptux.com
It was about $119.00 for tux- (jacket, pants, shirt, cumber bun, all buttons and tie clips)
Old November 29th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Rieker

Buy a Tux on Ebay...I did...and it is cheaper than most rentals....well...after the shirt and shoes it's probly a wash. But if you need it for more than one cruise, wedding or to host a celebrity roast, you will be money ahead.
Old December 2nd, 2002, 02:08 AM
First Mate

on the cruises i've been on it is easier to rent the tux, less luggage for you to pack and carry.
Old December 4th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Passenger

If you dont have a tux...just bring your suit...there are far more men wearing suits than wearing a tux....hubby has a few tuxes of his own...for business and for cruises...if you are going to go on lots of cruises, then buy one...you can find one for the same as you pay on the ship (and sometimes for less) for one weeks rental...but by all means..dont think you have to have a tux!!
Old December 4th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Fred77

White Tuxedo Coat or Black Tuxedo Coat I have both which one should I bring?
Old December 7th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Fred77

?
Old December 8th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Passenger

My husband wore a suit, and I wore a nice evenig gown. I felt so overdressed. There were alot of ladies in mere pantsuits, and there were alot of men in pull-over shirts. I was very disappointed. I guess they wouldn't turn them away. I was disappointed. Don't sweat it. If I would go again, I wouldn't get so dressed up, no one cares....