Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:02 AM
Passenger

Default Carnival or Royal Caribbean?

Help me solve a dilemma! My parents and I booked two cruises - Both are Western Caribbean cruises leaving on May 25. One is with Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas and the other is Carnival Conquest. I have to decide which to put a deposit down on by tomorrow.

What are the differences between the cruises? On Royal Caribbean, we have a category B room and on Conquest, we have a category 11 (Both the 2nd highest category). Do you know what the differences in the quality of the rooms are and if we'd get anything extra in them?

What are the differences between the two cruise destinations? Which are preferable? How about cruise ship activities? Food? The gym? There's always the issue that Conquest will be only a few months old - does that tend to make it a better ship?

Which should I choose? Let me know today please!
alison
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Carnival or Royal Caribbean?

Alison, I don't know the exact itinerary of the Voyager but do have the Carnival itinerary in front of me. Conquest will be the newer ship and well broken in by then. Carnival cabins historically are bigger. Food and variety especially in the lido buffet was great on Pride and Legend, so it should be similar on Conquest. I see Conquest sails out of New Orleans. That could be a big issue if you don't need air arrangements. The gym and spa were great on the too new ships of Carnival, so expect it to be as large if not larger. Carnival offers the Supper Club option for an additional fee. Voyager offers Johnny Rockets, the promenade within the ship with many cafe's and stores. They have parades and ice skating shows. If you are active or have kids, there is the Rock climbing wall, roller blade ring, ice skating rink, etc. Check you times in port; 8 hrs. in port is better than 6 especially if arriving at 7 a.m. you actually don't get off until about 9 a.m. At ports like Grand Cayman, this is very important. You will tender from any ship which takes up valuable port time. Someday, we would love to try a Voyager class ship, but have not found the value for us as yet.
Bon Voyage
Old November 21st, 2002, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Alison I have not been on either ship but I have cruised on both lines. The Voyager is a huge beautiful ship. I myself definately want to sail on this class at least once. The Conquest is new and it's always fun to sail a new ship.

When I have this dilemma I always base my decision on the ports of call and time available. Both lines are good and comparable, as are the room cates you are looking at. I think Carnival may have a larger room. Service is equally good along with everything else. With these lines you are comparing granny smith to red delicious vs apples to oranges. Now the biggest obvious difference is the Voyager has the rock climbing, ice skating, roller skating, mini golf and basketball from what I can remember. If this is something you are interested in and would use then I would suggest that ship. Otherwise as stated earlier whichever iten you prefer is what I would base the decision on.

I hope this helps you out somewhat and happy sailing!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old November 21st, 2002, 02:44 PM
tabitha

I have sailed both Royal Caribbean (Voyager) and Carnival (Fantasy,Paradise and Jubilee). My vote is for the Voyager. I found the food and service to be much better on RC.
Old November 21st, 2002, 05:42 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Carnival or Royal Caribbean?

I myself also have a category 11 on the conquest, right above the bridge and on the corner so we have a coner balcony and a great view. Since we did a room assignment and not just a gaurentee we are not eligable for an upgrade to a 12, but I wanted the coner view. I wish there were actual pictures of the category 11 on the conquest. I saw the category 12 pictures here and they are nice, I just wanna see the difference between a 12 and an 11.
Old November 21st, 2002, 05:49 PM
Ariana.

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival or Royal Caribbean?

Carnival Conquest!
Happy sailing..