CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Dining Etiquette At Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/189502-dining-etiquette-sea.html)

Pam & Ken November 24th, 2002 10:43 AM

Dining Etiquette At Sea

Hi

Please Help!!!!

First time cruisers (hubby & I)... Just wondering about the dining etiquette... kinda dumb questions... sorry

1. Do you wait for everyone to be seated before ordering?

2. I read on another web site that people at a table share the cost of wine at the table.. what if you buy it for just the two of you.. do you share with other guesses at the table?

3. When we are done eating is it ok to excuse our selves from the table or are the dinner courses served at each table pretty much at the same time?

I don't want to offend anyone at our table...

Thanks you!!

Pam

Carnival Conquest
Jan 26, 2003

CruisinDenise November 24th, 2002 10:57 AM

Re: Dining Etiquette At Sea

The dining times are assigned, so in my experience everyone was there at the same time. The waiter takes the order for the table and will probably take stragglers' orders when they arrive. Everything is pretty much served at the same time. I think it's more rude for someone to arrive late than for you to start without them. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean about excusing yourself. Your table will probably be done at the same time, and no, you don't have to wait for the rest of the dining room.

No, you don't have to share your wine. If other guests express a desire for wine, you could offer to pay for the first and let them know they can buy the second, or one the next night. Or you can just say you'd like your own bottle. It's your money, you can spend it how you choose. :)

Denise

Donna November 24th, 2002 12:09 PM

Hi Pam,
Congrats on your first cruise, just remember there are no stupid questions here, we've all been in your place at one time. As for ordering for dinner, the waiter will get everyone's order at the same time, they will wait until everyone is at the table.

You can order wine by the glass or by the bottle and if you and your husband order a full bottle and don't finish it, they will save it for another nite, just let them know when you want the rest of it. Its sometimes nice to order a bottle and share it, then take turns. That works out if everyone like wine with dinner. I've had a few where I was the only one drinking a glass of wine for dinner, so I just ordered a glass when I wanted one. Either way should be fine.

I've found in most cases we all finish dinner at the same time, if not, yes feel free to excuse yourselves from the table. Have done that once or twice if we wanted to catch a show.
http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery.../thumb1875.gif

Feel free to post any other questions you may have, there is always posters that can help you with them.

dusty November 25th, 2002 12:10 AM

Re: Re: Dining Etiquette At Sea

this post answed a few of my questions also. i always get good feed-back and tips on this board. my question is, does carnival try to put the single cruisers at the same tables or do they mingle us in with couples? i am going solo and dont know whether to request one of these options or take my chances. it will be fun and interesting either way, im just curious what they do with us "single passengers" . i know i am going to have a great cruise (alaska) and cant wait. sept 10, 2003 HERE I COME.

Harry Martin November 25th, 2002 12:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Dining Etiquette At Sea

Dusty, my experience has been that they will give you a larger table with people about the same. For instance, we were traveling with 3 female friends (and we are a gay couple), so we were at a table for 10 with one single man, two women friends traveling together, and one woman traveling alone. It worked out great.

I have since begun to call it the oddball table, because it happens a lot with us (on the Spirit last month, we sat with three women friends traveling together, a widow and her former daughter in law. We all had a blast.

Harry

ArkJudy November 25th, 2002 02:16 PM

Every dinner and table situation from cruise to cruise may vary. So, no rules except simply etiquette applies. Here's a couple of hints from past situations.

We were at a table with people that lingered forever over dessert and after-dinner drinks, but we wanted to make the late show, so YES we excused ourselves and left. No hard feelings!

We buy wine by the bottle for dinner. One cruise other couples at the table did the same. As the week went by, we all shared, because we were all buying. It was very nice!

Another cruise, everyone else ordered tea or water. So, one night we brought our own bottle of champagne in for our anniversary and asked our waiter to offer the others at our table glasses to share it with. Only one person refused, again no hard feelings. And, we all shared our bottle with toast around!

We always try to tell our waiter if we aren't planning to be at dinner, so no one will be left waiting for us. The waiter will only wait so long before taking orders, but they do try to allow time for everyone to arrive and be seated.

We've always been seated with other married couples, never with singles. Don't know if this was planned or just happened. I would enjoy singles, too, I'm sure, don't know if they would enjoy us!

Happy cruising!

george November 28th, 2002 12:16 PM

Congrats on your first cruise. You will have fun! There are no stupid questions. I have traveled both with groups and only with my wife where we didn't know anyone else at our table.

Q. Do you wait for everyone to be seated before ordering?
A. In the restaurant, seating times are assigned, so you everyone at your table will be served at the same time. You don't have to wait for late-comers.

My wife and I prefer the early seating times. One one cruise, we were with a group that had the late seating: 8:30 pm. So we moved our mel tme to the early seating: 5:30. On newer ships like the Destiny, everything is computerized, so changing your seating time is easy. Just see the maitre 'd.

Q. I read on another web site that people at a table share the cost of wine at the table.. what if you buy it for just the two of you.. do you share with other guesses at the table?
A. You can buy wine by the glass or by the bottle. The choice is yours. I have found people on cruises to be very friendly. Everybody wants to have a good time. You will probably make some new friends. Let that be your guide as you would anywhere else in life. If there is an anniversary or birthday at your table, you may find yourself singing congrats to the person along with everyone else nearby. So, relax, have fun, and make some new friends.

Q. When we are done eating is it ok to excuse our selves from the table or are the dinner courses served at each table pretty much at the same time?
A. This is your curise. While everyone at your table is served at the same time, you can leave early if you want or if you finish dinner sooner. I have found that I like to meet the othr people at my table. So leaving early was never a problem.

My wife and I love the dining experience. Remember that you can order as much as you want. So when it's lobster night, you can have three lobster tails if you want. Just ask your waiter. The same for the prime rib night, or for our favorite dessert every night.

On my cruises I tell the waiter to show me only chocolate desserts. They learn really fast what your preferences are. You will enjoy yourself.

George
Ecstasy, Dec. '98
Imagination, Dec. '99
Fascination, Dec. 2000
Destiny, May '01
Destiny, Dec. '01
Victory, net week!
http://www.ircruise.com