Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2002, 04:30 PM
First Mate

Default Conquest Moving to GulfPort Mississippi?

Gulfport is about 70 Miles from new Orleans and its in Mississippi. (Gulf Coast) Also at 5 pm today central time in new orleans there will be a meeting on this matter. If they dont raise the power lines then the boat will move. Its not New Orleans its Entergy that is being difficult. There lines are blocking the waterway and in there original contract it states that they would have to move them if a vessel requested it but now they say they dont have the money to do it. I live in New Orleans so ive been monitoring it closely. Flat out , Entergy is resposible to move the lines not the city or state. They signed the contract so they have to stick to it no matter how old it is. Also if the boat moves i want a discount, I am sailing on the 12th of Jan. and even now its too late to re plan for me.
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Pam & Ken

Default Re: Conquest Moving to GulfPort Mississippi?

Could you let us all know what the out come of the meeting is... We are sailing on the Conquest Jan 26th and would also like to know if we have to do some replanning....

thanks pam
Old November 25th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Conquest Moving to GulfPort Mississippi?

We should all make entergy give up some kind of refund. I bet they wouldn't want a class action suit against them.
Old November 25th, 2002, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

Hmmmm, I would bet that if it doesn't get moved that Carnival will have some sort of shuttle bus to take passengers from NO to Gulfport. I find it odd that this subject hasn't come up before now as Carnival announced this ship coming to NO quite awhile ago and I am sure they had to furnish "specs" on the ship's height, etc. Sounds like Entergy is being stubborn and could cause Carnival to move it's operations out of NO. Things that make you go hmmmmmm....
Chyna

Old November 25th, 2002, 10:28 PM
First Mate

They have short term plans as of right now, Entergy is trying to get the money up to re route the lines, make them higher up or move them under ground/ under water. Only bad thing is entergy customers will have to pay higher bills. Carnival said if they cant figure out set planes then the ship will move in january to Mississippi.

The Flat Out point is Entergy agreed when they put the lines up that they would move them if a vessle needed them moved. And thats the only way the Army Core Of Enginerr's would let them put the lines up. Now even though that was 30 years ago its still a contract and they need to abide by it. As far as the ships specs, yes they were sent ahead of time I am assure but some one was lacking from entergy. The Mayor of New Orleans and Gov. Of the state want the boat to stay and said entergy needs to fix the problem because they will loose 50 Million a year if it goes to Mississippi.

One last ?
What about next year when the new Royal caribbian Ship comes to NO will it be going to Mississippi also because it will be just as high probably.
Old November 26th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Passenger

As of right now Entergy says they have a long and short term fix for the problem. They will get together on Dec. 3rd and let Carnival know what the long term fix will be. Entergy is flip flopping the wires for a short term resolution. The high voltage wire and the low voltage wires will flip/flop causing the low voltage wire to be the lower of the two.
Entergy can also de-entergize the wire which will cause it to rise somewhat. Neither Carnival nor the city of NO wants the boat to move. I am sure that our new "business oriented" (as opposed to crooked politician) mayor, will make sure that the boat will remain in the Crescent City.
Old November 26th, 2002, 08:14 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

I sure hope so, it would be a shame to have NO lose it's cruise ship business because of a single company who refuses to honor previously signed contracts!!
Chyna

Old November 26th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

What really stinks about this is that the Army Corps of Engineers is not going to enforce the contract that was made with Entergy!!!! And on top of it, the water level on the river rises in the winter which also means that the navigable channels on the river change. Right now the Conquest has to hug either side of the river when going under those power lines. And to do that, no oil tankers can be loading at their terminals in that section of the river and the rest of the river traffic has to be brought to a stop. The Army Corps of Engineers and Entergy need to fix this problem - they are the ones that caused it in the first place.

Old November 26th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Heeey so I'm sailing on December 1st, so what does that mean for me and 3 thousand other ppl? Are they going to lift it or something temporary while were passing it?
Old November 26th, 2002, 03:43 PM
cmann

Cruise line and Entergy agree to find solution
11/25/2002

Associated Press

Carnival Cruise lines and Entergy have agreed to find a solution to the problem of low-haning power lines on the Mississippi River by next week.

A state Senate committee brought the two sides together Monday to try to reach a compromise. Carnival Cruise lines had threatened to move its new ship, the Conquest, to Gulfport if the power lines weren't taken care of by the time the river rises this winter.

After the meeting, Carnival announced it had entered into an agreement with Entergy to have a short-term and long-term solution in place by Dec. 3.

Entergy Corporation has said they'll de-energize one of the lines as a temporary solution.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

hope this helps !
Old December 4th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Pam & Ken

Here's the update....
On the local news last night here in New Orleans, Entergy Energy Co.
has decided to bury the low hanging power lines under the Mississippi
River. That is according to a spokesman from Entergy. A spokesman for
Carnival was more than enthusiastic. As to when exactly this project is
slated to begin is yet to be seen. In the meantime, the mega-liner
Conquest will have to maneuver its way in and out of port.
The Conquest has been sailing a couple of weeks now. It would be
great to "hear" a review of the experience. I myself have seen the ship
exterior -- massive...but have only seen the pictures of the interior.
I must say i was hardly impressed. Come on ya'll...give us all some
info on the Conquest!!! I've "past up" Conquest for my next cruise and
decided to go with Royal Carribean -- Granduer of the Seas.
It's like they say...."It's not the size of the dingy (boat that is!)
that counts, but what you can do with it"). That is yet to be seen. I
hope i didn't offend anyone with that comment.
<smile>

~jackson~
Old December 4th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Pam & Ken

Default Re: Re: Re: Conquest Moving to GulfPort Mississippi?

this was from a nother news group