Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Deb_76

Default Spirit - Don't hear many comments!

Doesn't seem like I find many comments or reviews about the Spirit - I wonder why! Leaving in 3 weeks
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Spirit - Don't hear many comments!

We are sailing in 3 weeks as well. We are celebrating our 25th anniversary. Hopefully,
someone will respond to this post with more comments. Either way, its getting closer for us.
Old December 12th, 2002, 12:42 PM
hzimm

Hi.

My husband and I sailed on the Spirit last February. We loved the ship and in fact, are going on the sister ship, the Pride, in 3 weeks. We've been on 3 other Carnival ships and found this one, so far, to have the best layout. There were many nooks and crannies where you can always find a quiet place to sit. It never seemed crowded, even in the public spaces. The decor is very nice.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Heather
Old December 12th, 2002, 01:04 PM
BrianL

Default Re: Re: Spirit - Don't hear many comments!

Just returned from the 14 night Panama Canal sailing last month. Had a great time. This was my 11th trip on Carnival. We sailed the Pride in March and actually enjoyed the Spirit's decor more.

Service was outstanding! By far the best room steward we've ever had. We were in an aft balcony 5297 which is not as private as those on the sides but was an excellent choice. Great for sunning first thing in the morning. If you're lucky enough to have Vania Dimitrovia as your room steward you're in for a treat!

The Spirit was by far the most elegant Carnival ship we've been on. Pharoh's Palace was well layed out. Best seating is on the main floor though. Sit back far enough to enjoy the lazer light show.

Dining room service again was excellent. We had table 118 (for six) and our waiter Javier and assistant waiter Claudia were just great. Javier has 10 years with Carnival and is well seasoned. We often times had our desserts when others were just getting their entrees. Food was outstanding and plentiful. We ate at David's on the Pride and had an outstanding experience both with food and service. We chose to eat one night at the Nouveu Supper Club on the Spirit. The food was very good but service was less than perfect. Again we had such great table service in the dining room it was just hard to beat and it didn't come close to the experience we had at David's. Still enjoyed the night though.

Although the crowd was much older than a typical Carnival cruise our entertainment was much more subdued. Only a couple midnight comedians which was sad due to 14 nights, but the ones we did have were very good.

Only one night got lively in the disco and that was thanks to the crew. Several of them came in around 1am and did that get the party started. We had a blast! Again the crowd (average age was probably 65-70) was not much into partying or staying up late.

Good pool games to include Survivor. Other entertainment was pretty typical. Newlywed and No So Newlywed, Horse Races, Bingo etc.

We loved the Spirit. She was an excellent choice and I'd highly recommend her to anyone!
Old December 12th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Deb_76

Default Re: Re: Re: Spirit - Don't hear many comments!

Thanks for commenting!
Old December 12th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Deb_76, Before we took our Spirit Hawaii cruise at the end of Sept, I did a search for Spirit at the top of the page. That gave us a lot to read on the ship.
Old December 12th, 2002, 05:41 PM
seadaze

Brian,

We will be sailing on the Spirit and have a a balcony facing aft. In what way are they less private than those facing port & starboard.
Old December 12th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Admiral

We cruised on the Spirit in March and totally loved her! Also went on the Legend this Sept and loved her as well. This is a beautiful class ship and very well laid out. I wrote a review both as a professional travel reviewer and as a regular passewnger and they can both be found in the review areas.
Jim

Old December 13th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Thanks for your comments!

We are doing Canal 11/01/03, and have an aft balcony. Did you do any tours ? If so, What advice can you give, as to pros and cons of the different ports.

Was the ship anchored in any ports?

Carl
Old December 16th, 2002, 12:49 PM
BrianL

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Spirit - Don't hear many comments!

Hi All,

The aft balconies have angled walls dividing the cabins which you can look around and see the balcony beside you. Also if you're standing at the railing and have a lower balcony, those above you can see you. The morning we pulled into Acapulco, I had just gotten out of the shower and my roommate said to hurry as we were pulling into the pier. I had nothing on but a smile and before realizing it the two ladies in the cabin one deck above us made a few comments about the view. Luckily for me they became extremely friendly the remainder of the cruise!

As far as shore excursions, we had hoped to Swim with the Dolphins in Puerta Vallarta, however the hurricane the previous week wiped that option out. That excursion is rated one of the best top ten around the world. A big disappointment we didn't get to do it. Instead we took the Tequila Factories Tour and would recommend it. Got to do some sightseeing along the way and free taste testing at each of the three factories we visited. The tour was only around $25 per person so not bad. In Acapulco, we just rented a van for the day as there were six of us. The driver took us anywhere we wanted to go. Went to several hotels that had great lookout views of the pier and our ship. A must stop was the Cliff Divers (additional $2.00 per person to get in). He took us to the downtown market place for shopping, Senior Frogs, Hard Rock Cafe and the Acapulco Princess hotel. This was around $25 per person for the entire day. In Costa Rica we took the Poas Volcano tour. Well worth it. Around $87 per person. CAUTION: Extensively long bus ride and take a jacket. The tour was 8 hours of which 3.5 hours was riding in a bus. The bus climbs to 8000 feet where you reach the Volcano park. You're given around an hour to visit and take pictures. This trip included a great Costa Rican lunch at a beautiful botanical garden area. The return trip stopped a couple times for souvenier shopping. We didn't stop in Cartenga due to unstability of the country. We went to Ocho Rios instead. We rented a cab for the day again...WASTE OF MONEY! We ended up at every roadside shop. Finally we told the driver to take us to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville which was within walking distance to the ship. Now that was fun! And they have very nice shopping there.

We were suppose to dock in Puerta Vallarta, however the new Star Princess beat us to the pier. We docked in Acapulco, Punteranus Costa Rica and Ocho Rios and had to tender everywhere else which was a MAJOR disaster. It took us over 3 hours to get off in Xtapa/Zijuantiejo and Puerta Vallarta. That was really the only bad point of the cruise though.

Overall a great trip which I'd do again tomorrow if I could. Two weeks will spoil you. Enjoy!

Let me know if there's anything else.

Take Care and Happy Holidays to you all!

Brian
Old December 16th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spirit - Don't hear many comments!

Hey Brian,

We are on the Panrama deck, which means that we get to look down at all the activity going on below us. I would assume that people up on the lido deck looking aft can look down on to our balcony. I guess we'll just have to try and behave ourselves!!! Thanks for the info.