Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2002, 04:50 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default Price Reduction

Hi all...now i've seen this happen to others, but it never happened to me. We're booked on the sensation for january 16th. Final payment has been made and now the price of the cruise went down...substantially in my opinion. We booked it at $321.00 and now it's $229.00. both an excellent price for a weekend cruise. anyway, sent a note to my travel agent..Best Price Cruises, and waiting to hear. My question is what do they usually do? refund? on board credit? nothing if final has been made? Also, if something CAN be done and my agent tells me nothing can be done, what's my recourse? thanks all, any help would be appreciated

suzanne
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Price Reduction

Is Best Price advertising the newest rate? I booked mine thru them back in Sept and it's still the same rate. I am curious too how they will handle. I've checked mine with other sites but still no reduction.
Old December 17th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Price Reduction

I booked my cruise through cruise411 they are now showing a reduced rate on their site, we booked 3 cabins ( 2 cat. 6 and 1 cat. 11), in our 6a the price went done 200.00 per person, I spent the day on the phone with the TA and Carnival, they did alot of finger pointing but the bottom line is they won't do anything, we also have made final payment. Carnival did offer to move one cabin up a deck which makes it a 6b, I mentioned that our 2 category six cabins were adjoining so we would want to move both or not at all, this upgrade amounts to about 30. per cabin, and does not really reflect the price reduction, in any case Carnival said no. I would be very interested to hear how the rest of you do with this issue. This is only our second cruise so I don't really know what is reasonable to expect. Do most TA or cruise lines adjust for rate reductions? Any insight would be appreciated.
Old December 17th, 2002, 08:52 AM
emgrace

Default Re: Re: Re: Price Reduction

We booked a 5night cruise back in Sept. for February through Travelocity. I noticed about a month ago the the total went down by $200. I called an agent at Travelocity and, after a lot of waiting, we had our price adjusted. No problem at all! So now the total cost for both my husband and I is around $1,400. I 'm surprised other people have had trouble with Carnival and we didn't. Does it depend on who the T.A. is?
Old December 17th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Price Reduction

We also book our Jan 4th cruise through Travelocity. The price went down after our final payment and they gave us on ship credit for the difference.
Old December 17th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Admiral

It usually depends on how soon it happens to the sailing date. As your cruise is under 30 days I would suspect that no refund will be forthcoming and that that rate will apply to only new bookings as they are trying to fill the ship as that date probably had poor sales. The up side is that you may well get a nice upgrade and/or maybe even a shipboard credit.
Jim

Old December 18th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Michele

This same thing just happened to me. I booked through bestpricecruises also. I booked in November, the price went down $90 a week later and they refunded the money. Just looked again and the price went down another $50. I asked our TA for a shipboard credit. She said they don't usually give credit for such a small amount, but said she would try for an upgrade. We were upgraded from 4C to 4E (verandah) on the Imagination sailing Jan. 30. I'm excited about that! Try for an upgrade. It can't hurt.
Old December 19th, 2002, 12:54 PM
First Mate

I think some of you are missing the point about paying a few dollars more for a cabin than someone who books the last minute.

You have a distinct advantage when you book your cabins in advance, in that you get the sailing date you want and the cabin choice you want. Usually you pay more for that ADVANTAGE.

I wish I could book a cruise 3 months in advance, or as I see on some of these countdown clocks a YEAR in advance ! ! My station in life just doesn't allow me to plan on getting away that far in advance. I MUST always book a cruise a week or less away from its sailing date. Because of this "situation" I'm in, I RISK NOT getting the date or cabin I wanted. Any other itinerary than the Mexican Riviera is usually out of the question because of the added days of flying and the problems the cruise lines have getting a hotel room on such short notice.

I only use the cabin to sleep, shower and change clothes, so I really don't care what cabin I'm in and that part of the problem is solved. However, when I see a window to get away, I often get a "FILL THE SHIP"price which would probably infuriate some individuals on these boards. But I RISK NOT GOING AT ALL if the ship is filled 3 or 4 days before the cruise !! That's the DISADVANTAGE of last-minute-cruising. However, when this happens I alleviate some of the disappointment by jumping on a plane and flying to my favorite "village", Puerto Vallarta and watch all the ELATION cruisers hit town on Thursday... :-)

God, I love this country ! !

Cruise on,

Gary