Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2002, 11:48 PM
First Mate

Default Previous Destiny cruisers....

Hello all
I would like to know how your embarktion process went?? I noticed that the majority of ships sail in the midday while the Destiny on it's southern route leaves at 10 PM !!! Hence, I have not been able to find out information about what time is best to arrive at the port etc...
We will be in Puerto Rico for 3 days prior to sailing so we will be able (and of course completley willing) to get to that port at the best possible time (picture two 6 year olds not being able to sleep the night before xmas out of pure anxiousness/excitement......pretty sad, but that is what it is going to be like guys!!). Is there a time minimum at which we can arrive?
Also, I did hear that the terminal in San Juan leaves a bit to be desired........any comments on that? And of course, if you feel like divulging your entire experience about this cruise......feel free.........my eyes are wide open and ready

Thank you so much and here's to all the wonderful food, wine, friends, and family that you deserve

waters

Old December 23rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
MichelleM

Default Re: Previous Destiny cruisers....

The Destiny leaves San Juan so late to accomodate the flight times. Not to mention it only takes about 2 hours to sail slowly to St. Thomas which is the next port so they can leave late.

We have done 2 southern caribbean cruises. The first one we arrived at about 1pm and boarded in under 15 minutes. The second one we arrived at about 3:30pm and it took over an hour to board even though we had pre-registered at the airport on arrival.

I would say arrive early. 1pm is a good time. That way you can go right to your cabin, any earlier you just sit around on deck waiting for the cleaning to be finished. You also miss the airport rush because most flights from the US have not yet arrived in San Juan.

We had a great time on the Destiny. The ship is very nice, it was out first time on a Destiny class ship. Make sure to try the pizza it is very good.

I have a review of our destiny sailing udner the member reviews part.
Old December 23rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
Alex

Waters,
We were on Destiny last Christmas. We arrived to San Juan day before the cruise (Saturday night) and planned to spend first half Sunday morning walking around Old San Juan. However, our plans changed due to the rain and bad weather. So, instead, we had a slow start Sunday morning and went straight to the ship around noontime. To our surprise check-in already started. (Our papers said check-in starts at 2 pm). It took us no more than 30 minutes to get to the ship. They ask you not to go to the cabin before 1 pm since it may not be ready. However, our cabin was already prepared.

You can read a small review of that cruise and see pictures here:

http://home.attbi.com/~uporin1/destiny/index.html

Have fun!
Old December 24th, 2002, 01:40 PM
First Mate

Dear Waters:

We sailed the Destiny twice in 2001 from San Juan to Southern Caribbean. Fabulous both trips! Both trips there was an embarkation line, but it was not long. Maybe 40 minutes max. We arrived early ~ 11 AM. My wife and I use the embarkation line as an opportunity to meet other passengers. The second trip was after 9-11 so we spent a little more time in line since all luggage had to go through the scanners.

You can read my cruise reviews about the Destiny ship and ports:
http://www.ircruise.com/reviews_2001.html

George
CCL Ecstasy, Dec. '98
CCL Imagination, Dec. '99
CCL Fascination, Dec. '00
CCL Destiny, May '01
CCL Destiny, Dec. '01
CCL Victory, Dec. '02
Gonna sail CCL Conquest, Dec. '03
Gonna sail NCL Majesty, Jun. '03