Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2002, 09:32 PM
tjfrancis

Default Ocho Rios

Anyone have any suggestions for what to do in Ocho Rios. I have done the Dunn's River Falls, and want to do something different. I would like to see some beautiiful sights and enjoy this port fully. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2002, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Sterling Silver
Default Re: Ocho Rios

I have the same question as you tj. Also is the "downtown" area considered "safe" nowdays? Last time we were there we just stayed on the ship because of some recent incidents with tourists (a couple years ago). Have not heard any negative publicity re. Ocho Rios lately.
Old December 31st, 2002, 01:06 PM
Pat F.

I was there in March 2001. I opted for the Martha Brae river rafting trip. The river rafting part wasn't bad, a peaceful raft ride down a quiet river. The bad part: a 45 minute bus ride from hell. Jamaican drivers obviously have no fear of death. I wish I could have been knocked out for the bus ride so I wouldn't have had to spend the next half hour trying to calm down. As far as Ocho Rios, the only part I saw was the shopping center a few blocks from the pier. That was okay, just got harrassed a little on the walk back to the ship. I'm heading there again in March. I'll probably do the Dunns River falls thing since I haven't been there (at least it's a short ride). Have fun.
Old December 31st, 2002, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Ocho Rios

SS,
Whenever we go to Ocho Rios my wife and I walk to the downtown area by way of the route alongside the beach and visit both Straw Markets. We have a great time interacting with the locals and usually end up with a couple of bargains. Just enjoy and have a great time, be honest and with a sense of humor and smile and you will have a blast.
Jim

Old December 31st, 2002, 02:00 PM
Jeff Clark

My son lived on the Island for 2 years (LDS Missionary) and in Ocho Rios for about 6 months. He never had any problems with the Jamaican people while he lived there other then getting his bicycle stolen because he didn't lock it up. We visited Ochie about 11 months ago and had a great time. We booked the Peat Taylor tour (which included Dunn River Falls) and were not disappointed. It also included a tour of fern gully and a bunch of other places in his air conditioned mini van. Yes the driving is an adventure in it's self and that is worth the $25 we paid. The nice thing about Peat is at the end of the tour if part of you want to go back to the ship and part want to just shop, he will take the whoever wants to the ship back and then come back and check on the shoppers. After shopping some wanted to go back to the ship and the rest wanted to have some traditional jerk chicken lunch and Peat recommended a nice little restuarant and took the others to the ship while we ate lunch. He returned shortly and checked on us and then took whoever wanted to return to the ship, but my wife wanted to continue to shop until just before the ship left Ochie. Peat was there when we were finally ready to leave. Any questions please e-mail me wiz@cableone.net thanks, Jeff
Old January 1st, 2003, 07:59 AM
Pisgah

Default Re: Re: Ocho Rios

I've never been there but I have not heard positive thing about the port. The fact that Carnival (Conquest) moved to Montiego Bay recently because of concerns over passenger safety is not a good sign. You might need to get more info from someone who just got back from Jamaica. Good luck. We sail on the Conquest in March 03.
Old January 1st, 2003, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Ocho Rios

I think the Conquest goes to Montego Bay simply because it adds a differant port for ones selection and there may have not been room for it in Ocho Rios due to scheduling conflicts.
Jim

Old January 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Ocho Rios

Jim,
The walk along the beach to the straw markets sounds good, how long of a walk is it?
Old January 1st, 2003, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ocho Rios

It's less than a half mile I would think. At least I have been able to walk it without my ankles or knees giving out on me. What you di is as soon as you leave the fgenced in area, turn hard left and enter this sidewalk that has a gate at it. It circles around between that large hotel/condo place and the bay. It is a pleasant winding walk with flowers along the walls. There are usually a couple of vendors there and they have some nice things and were never really pushy to me, just lots of fun to interact with and have fun talking to. You come out at the main entrance to this private pay-style beach on one side and a mall like area on the right. Lots of regular stores there. If you walk through them you are on the main drag right downtown and between the two straw markets.
Jim

Old January 3rd, 2003, 08:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan

Last June my husband and I did the Brimmer Hall Estate Tour and ended up at Dunn's River Falls. We really enjoyed the tour. It was not well attended, so I am not sure if it is still in the schedule, but we really enjoyed seeing all the different fruits and coffee being grown. We rode on a tram like wagon pulled by a tractor I believe. There was only about 8 people on this tour. It was a working estate. Beautiful.
Old January 4th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Ocho Rios

I'll second that statement. I've been in the past and it defintely was not my favorite place. It's a shame becasue the island itself is so rich and beautiful. We also had the bus ride from hell.My husband has a BIG fear of flying.....after that mini-van ride it's now in second place!!hahh CONQUEST March 30

gail