Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2003, 12:40 PM
First Mate

Default Camera film & luggage scanners

According to news sources, the new airport scanning equipment does indeed damage both unexposed and undeveloped camera film. During my Carnival cruise last month from Miami, I noticed that Carnival also uses similar luggage scanning equipment at the cruise ship terminal.

Does Carnival's scanning equipment also damage camera film? Does Carnival use the same scanning equipment in all of its ports and onboard the ships? I've written to Carnival, but haven't yet received a reply. I was wondering if anyone on this board knew the answer. I want to keep my camera film safe. Thanks.

George
Ecstasy, 12/98
Imagination, 12/99
Fascination, 12/00
Destiny, 5/01
Destiny, 12/01
Victory, 12/02
Gonna sail Conquest, 12/03
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2003, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Camera film & luggage scanners

According to my professional photographers (this is the business I am in) here is the scoop. The machines used by security to scan your carry ons (both at the airport and at the cruise ship terminal) will not damage your fim unless you have either very fast film (800 speed or higher) or run the film through a whole bunch of times. Two or 3 scans will not hurt it.
THE SCANNERS USED FOR CHECKED BAGGAGE WILL DO SERIOUS DAMAGE TO YOUR FILM. These are 10 times more powerful than the ones used for carry on.
DO NOT PUT FILM IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. Put your film in your carry on, take it out of the boxes and put it in a clear plastic bag. Ask if they will hand check your film, they should, and having it in the plastic bag makes it easier. If they won't, the xray for carry on will not ruin it. Over 800 speed film, you MUST have it HAND CHECKED or it will get ruined.
Other solutions, get the film processed on the ship, xrays will not damage photos, bring mailers with you and mail it to the processor between the ship and the airport or mail it home to yourself.
Ultimate answer, go digital.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 01:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Camera film & luggage scanners

PapaBill:
Thanks for the fast reply.

While I understand what happens at the airport, my question really focused on Carnival's scanners and policy. I hadn't seen anything from Carnival in writing about what their scanners do or don't do to film. I noticed that the onboard ship scanners are different than the scanners at the cruise ship terminal. Obviously, cruise ship security and scanning are in flux and will keep changing.

Also: I do not use the on-board ship film processing because the photo development lab I use automatically creates BOTH prints and JPGs, so I can easily upload the JPGs to my Web site.

George
Old January 2nd, 2003, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Camera film & luggage scanners

The scanner used at the pier to scan your carry ons will be the same as that used at the airport. Film can be run through it, or, once again you can ask to have your film hand
examined. You will find them to be more cooperative than the security at the airport.
Enjoy your cruise.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Camera film & luggage scanners

Wow great info, I'm cruising in a few weeks and this is a concern. Now Papabill ? for you. I am considering a digital camera. This has to have good pix but must be easy to use for 1st timers. Any recommendations? I've been looking at a Fuji Fine Pix 3800 but is there anything better and of course I don't want to spend alot. Thanks!!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 3rd, 2003, 09:51 AM
Passenger

I have been looking on the Internet for the lead bags that protect film against X-Ray Machines. I have found something called Film Shield. What would you suggest in this type of product? I am using film higher than 800 speed.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Camera film & luggage scanners

If you pack film in a lead bag and put it in a check in, it is likely that your bag will be opened . If you put it in a carry on, they are going to ask you to open it. Kind of defeats the purpose of the lead bag. Save your money. Pack the high speed film in a clear plastic bag. Have it "handy" when you get to security. Place it in the little bucket they give you for your watch and pocket change and explain that it is highspeed film you want hand inspected.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Camera film & luggage scanners

Our photographers shooting digitally use cameras that cost the price of a two week cruise in the penthouse suite on a Crystal cruislines cruise. So I am not an expert on consumer priced cameras.
Can only recommend this, think about what you are going to do with the photos. For snap shot sized photos or for emailing 2 mega pixels is Way More than enough.
Get a camera that has optical and well as digital zoom. (typical point and shoot zoom
film cameras are 1.5 to 3x optical zoom). Best bet is to read something like Consumer Reports to get an idea as to what is good. Once you buy the camera, don't look back.
Like computers, the price will be lower and technology better almost as fast as you buy the camera. I have my digital over 3and a half years now. It was state of the art at the time and $800. Now it is about 3 generations old and I could replace it for about $3 to $ 400 dollars. I still cannot replace the years I've had it, thousands of photos taken and shared. Used it Christmas day , took 75 photos of the grandchildren opening presents.
Enjoy your cruising and photo taking
Old January 3rd, 2003, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Camera film & luggage scanners

Thanks for the info PapaBill! The camera I'm looking at has 3.24 megapixels, 3.2 digintal zoom and 6 optical zoom. The cons that I have read about with this camera is the shutter delay and hard to see LCD in low light but it got a good rating value wise around $300 and the consumers highly recommended it. So I think I will give it a shot. Thanks again.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 6th, 2003, 07:44 PM
PackerFan

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Camera film & luggage scanners

Does anyone know about the underwater camera's you buy and take with you? Will they be damaged if you put them in your checked bags as well or should we put them in our carry-on?
Should we take them out of the boxes they come in and put them in a plastic bag?

Thanks
Old January 6th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Camera film & luggage scanners

Hi Packer Fan,
I would think those underwater disposable cameras should also be in your carry-on, after all, they do contain the film that will most likely get ruined by the scanners, so play it safe and carry it on with your other camera.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 6th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Packer Fan,

Just get some super high speed film and leave it your checked bags and keep your fingers crossed.

Bear Fan!
Old January 7th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Honestly I have been on 3 cruises in the last 2 years and have never thought of damage to my film etc. I use anywhere from 400 to 800 speed and no damage. I also brought underwater disposable cameras as they are cheaper than buying them on board and again no damage. I think it's ok but I believe I will ask for them to be hand checked just in case.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 11th, 2003, 08:34 PM
First Mate

Everyone:

You may find this web site helpful. It is opeated by a group that tracks camera film issues for airport travelers:

F-Stop: film safety for traveling on planes
http://www.f-stop.org/

George
Ecstasy, 12/98
Imagination, 12/99
Fascination, 12/00
Destiny, 5/01
Destiny, 12/01
Victory, 12/02
Gonna sail Conquest, 12/03
Old January 11th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Cruise Maniac