Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: sick of non-smokers complaining!!

My parents smoked when I was very young... I woke every morning to the sounds of my dad coughing and hacking. Mom said, "don't smoke." I thought, "WHY would I want to ??!!" Thank God they both quit but I ended up being allergic to cigarette smoke (I had tests done in my early teens... after enduring 80 scratches on my back and 20 needles in my arm, I defy anyone who says you can't be allergic to cigarette smoke). I hate the smell but it gets my eyes and nose all irritated... itcy, watery, sneezy, you name it. So I avoid it... I don't go to bars, etc. I booked a balcony stateroom on my last cruise and had to endure someone smoking nearby. They might have been next to me, above me, below me, 30 feet away... I have no idea. But I could not enjoy my balcony, and that's just not right.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool... think about it!

Cathy in O-Town
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

my mom smoked up until my first child was born. my in-laws (both now deceased) smoked their entire adult lives. my hubby watched his grandpa die from emphysema, hooked up to an oxygen tank 24/7. my mom always told me to never start smoking. her line was "do as i say, not as i do". i have tried 2 cigs my entire life. i choked, thank God!

y'all, smoking is very addictive. my in-laws tried to quit with the help of a smoking center to no avail. my mom quit with the aid of nicorette gum. it is not an easy thing to do.

i despise cigarette smoke. it stinks and it makes everyone exposed to it stink. hubby used to play in a r & r band. eyes burning & itching, showers a necessity at 4am, not the most fun. now he plays at church, where no one smokes.

anyway, i think non-smokers are very sensitive to that smoke smell. i work at a veterinary clinic and i can tell when smokers walk into the front lobby (which happens to be pretty large). that smell stands out above all the urine & dirty dog smells i have encountered. i can't help but wonder when someone reeks of smoke and is bringing in their cat because it acts like it has asthma. i can smell smoke at the little league field coming from behind the bleachers (mind you smoking is not allowed at these fields, but people choose to ignore that fact).

to summarize, we non-smokers don't like smoke - probably part of the reason we never started smoking. BUT, please understand, fellow non-smokers, there are smokers out there that would like to quit, but this is not an easy task. yes, it's a nasty habit, just like farting in someone's face, but let's not hate each other over it. in the words of 3 dog night, try a little tenderness. smokers, i won't say anything ugly to you about your habit, but please don't be offended if i move away when you light up. please consider quitting for the sake of your health and your family's health.
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Admiral

My father died of lung cancer after smoking two packs a day for 40 years.

Neither my wife, myself or our two children have ever smoked.

There is probably nothing worse than the smell of a cigar in a confined area.

Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray.

However, I have NO RIGHT to determine someone else's behavior. If smoking is legal where you are, smoke away. It is your right. If you die from smoking, that is also your right.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to branflakes1991 Send a message via Yahoo to branflakes1991

I think Carnival should only allow smoking in bars, cabins, and the lido deck(all of it) There is open air there! I feel sympathy to those who are allergic, but you shouldn't complain to smokers who are at there designated area, because they'll probably cont. smoking anyways. I, personally don't care either way. I can't stand the smell of smoke, but I'm used to it, so...