Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Jenny24

Default Tipping On the Conquest

Is the tipping procedure on the Conquest cash or does it go to your sail and sign card at the end of the cruise. Also if you set up your sail and sign account with a visa do they still take a deposit out of that. Could someone who has been on the Conquest shed some light on this process for me thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Tipping On the Conquest

It goes on your sail and sign. If I am not mistaken, they only put a HOLD on your credit card for a certain amount. That means that even though you haven't been charged yet, it does go against your credit limit. At the end of the cruise you are given your statement, and, if you used a credit card as your deposit, that card will be charged accordingly. If you charged less than what they put a hold on, you will get the hold released after a couple of days.

Old January 4th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Jenny24

so if my credit card has a 1000.00 limit and they put a hold on 200.00 that only leaves me 800.00 to spend without overdrafting my account, Correct/? How much does it usually cost in just tips on the Conquest for the 7 days?
Old January 4th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Paul Beighley

Default Re: Re: Tipping On the Conquest

We just came off Conquest on Dec 22nd. I think it comes out to about $63 per passenger for the week. Tips to the matre de are given in person the last day, if you care to do so. I thinkk service suffered a bit as a result of the autiomatic tipping.
Old January 5th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Tipping On the Conquest

That could be Paul but you can still change the amount you want to tip to be less or more so they still need to continue to provide good service. Also the head waiter tips, if wanted, are in cash in person. Those are not added automatically. We do not tip the head waiter or MD unless they have provided us with a kind of service. Honestly we never saw them after the 1st evening when they introduced themselves unlike on RCI the head waiter esp showed up at our table every night for a brief chit chat and make sure everything was AOK.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 5th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Passenger

With all due respect, Diane, the head waiter IS part of the automatic tipping process. The Maitre D' and your host/hostess is not included in the tips. Here is the breakdown of the SUGGESTED tipping guideline of $9.75 per person per day:

Room Steward $3.50 per person per day
Dining Room Team Service (Head Waiter and Assistant Head Waiter) $5.50 per person per day
Alternative Dining Service(Buffets,Alternative Restaurants,etc...) $0.75 per person per day

As far as to tip or not to tip the Maitre D'. You might see him, you might not. But keep this in mind. Do you really know what they do??? They are in charge of everything that you see in the dining room. They are in charge of the entertainment in the dining room. Heck, some of them even sing!!! There are alot of things that go on behind the scenes to ensure that you have a pleasant dining experience. Whether or not you directly benifited from your Maitre D', I can assure you that you did benifit, though indirectly. Ken, from Ireland, was our Maitre D' on our recent Conquest sailing. Though we never came into contact with him, on the last night of our cruise, we made it a point to tip him as he did ensure our pleasant dining experience. He sang most every night, and you'd swear Frank Sinatra was singing. In our dining room(The Monet) on the Conquest there were also 2 host/hostesses. One for the lower level and one for the top level. We were on the top level. Our hostess was Arta. She was great. She made it a point to be at our table every night. She also received a tip from us. Have a great trip.

Post Edited (01-05-03 15:33)
Old January 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Jenny24

Reservation Only Supper clubs, If you decide to eat in the reservations only club how does the tipping work in these?
Old January 5th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

The tip is included in the $25 pp fee to dine ther - you can add to that amount if you want. There has been debate on this issue about whether the tip is included in the amount, but on another board someone specifically asked the question of the head of the hotel department if the tips were included in that fee and he said very emphatically, "yes"!

Old January 6th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Admiral

No problem Brian, I understand the process fully. I just gave another option. Maybe they recently added the head waiter to the automatic tipping as that was not the case when we went! But I think you may have misunderstood the meaning. I was referring to automatic tipping for the waiter and his assistant. The head waiter is over many more tables and he does usually provide a direct service to you like the waiter and assistant does on a daily basis for lunch and dinner. This is what they have been called on the cruises we were on. Yes indeed you tip the folks that directly serve you. But the "headwaiter" and MD were at your discretion.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97