Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Are jeans allowed?

BobMack

You state "If you want to dress...please do so. If you want to wear jeans (which has now been established as within the rules)...please do so."

Below are the rules. It clearly states that dress for non formal nights is sport shirt and slacks, since when do jeans fit the definition of slacks?

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit . Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

©Carnival Cruise Lines 2004. All rights reserved.
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Admiral

The post concerning some people that are mentally handicapped has been deleted as well as those posts that refered to it. It was hurtful to say the least and posts like that will not be tolerated on these boards. I'm sure it was meant as a joke, but it was not funny at all.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old April 7th, 2004, 04:05 PM
First Mate

who knew we cruisers would be soooo divided and soooo passionate on this question.

It is really interesting.
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:59 PM
BobMack

Default Re: Re: Are jeans allowed?

Jedar,
In response to your question....jeans are not slacks but please read the following:

quoting from the Carnival brochure;
"Casual attire is in order during the day. For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other eveinings ranges from sport coat and tie to casual resort wear. Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room during dinner"

You will notice that nowhere in the above statement is the word REQUIRED. I do see the phrase "a dark suit or formal attire is suggested." I also do see specific references to Shorts and T-shirts but not a single word referencing jeans. Again, we're talking semantics. It's not specifically included or excluded so again I emphasize everyone should basicly mind their own business, quit worrying about what the others in the dining room are or are not wearing and enjoy themselves. If my walking into a room wearing jeans is so offensive to someone that they feel they can't enjoy a good meal, it's them, not I who have a major problem with reality. Also, as hinted at in previous posts....if people want to whisper about how someone is dressed, how their hair is done, that they have on too much make-up, etc....these people really need to re-evaluate their priorities. Life is way too short to stress over the little petty things. It's time to lighten up and enjoy life instead of tearing others down.
On another note, this message string is no different than most of the rest...there are a lot of people on here posting just to see if they can get a response. There is no reason to get nasty and hurtful.....Thank you Jim Bragg for removing the posts!
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM
First Mate

BobMack

My above post is not something I made up it is copied and pasted from Carnival's web site which was just updated about 1 week ago and is thier latest policy, so don't tell me it is not required, tell Carnival they are wrong.
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:42 PM
LaxAttack19

This is a most interesting thread. I've been on a few cruises and never even noticed if people wore jeans to dinner. I did notice the guy who looked like he was trying to smuggle a sheep under his tank top into the dining room, but even he was allowed to be seated. Will I bring jeans on my upcoming cruise? Probably. Now I remember why I always make sure we have a private table at dinner.
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Bluntsly, jeans are allowed in the dining room during the evening meals. I personally would not wear them and on a formal night I would take offense to the wearer being so crass but the only thing not allowed in the dining room for the evening meals are shorts and t-shirts. That said, please take into consideration that many people save up for a year or more for their cruise and like the feeling of people dressing up for dinner.
Jim

Old April 7th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Admiral

I can't believe this thread was dead for almost 14 months and Stacowgirl revived it. Now it lives again.

When we dine we dress appropriately for the venue. Others don't. So be it!

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

The post was not to be hurtful. If that is how it was taken I am sorry. It was merely to point out the futility in threads such as these. My family and I have lived all over the world as a result of our connection with the Navy. We have seen many customs that were very different from what we would consider as normal here in the U.S. That being said we never looked down on these people for we knew they were the same as us. In this world doing the best they could to raise a family, find happiness and enjoy the beauty of this wonderful world. We will continue this on our upcoming cruise no matter how you and yours choose to dress for dinner.

Post Edited (04-07-04 21:03)

Carnival Inspiration
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:48 PM
BobMack

JEdgar,
you stated "My above post is not something I made up it is copied and pasted from Carnival's web site which was just updated about 1 week ago and is thier latest policy, so don't tell me it is not required, tell Carnival they are wrong."

First, I never said that you made anything up. I respect the fact that you as well as many others on this board have spent time researching this topic. Again, It has been stated over and over again that jeans ARE accepted in the dining room.

As I stated in my first post, I will be wearing a suit on the formal nights. But on the casual night, I will be wearing jeans. The quote that you presented from the Carnival website still does not state that jeans are prohibited....it doesn't mention them at all. It does state that Shorts and T-shirts ARE prohibited...so therefore I can promise you I will not be wearing shorts and t-shirts to the dining room. To continue to argue the point of what is allowed or not allowed is becoming tedious.....the obvious has already been stated....Jeans are accepted in the dining room....like it or not.

The main problem as I see it is the perception that if someone dresses too casually, it will ruin the experience for everyone else in the dining room.
Let's take a look at it from the other perspective. If we are so concerned about offending others by our dress, then let's ban leather handbags and furs for the ladies. Wingtip shoes (or any other non synthetic shoes) for the men must go too. PETA (people for the ethical treatment of animals) will be happy that we are no longer sacrificing animals so we can look good for the sake of those others in the dining room. Maybe we should just not allow the ladies to wear jewelry, it may make others that cannot afford the diamonds and precious stones feel inferior and therefore ruin their dining experience.

Do you see how silly this can be? this is basically the same arguement as the others are posting against jeans... but in reverse.
People, wear what you confortable in, that is not against the rules (again jeans have not been prohibited), and again....enjoy YOUR cruise.

Again, my two cents.
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:09 PM
First Mate

Thomas,

I didn't even notice the date of the last post I was just reading ones marked not read. Sorry!!!!

Old April 14th, 2004, 09:31 AM
First Mate

sorry to resurrect this thread, but the responses are alway so interesting....

It seems that Carnival is silent on this topic. Probably because it is so highly debated. I guess the most important thing in the dining room is good table manners and respect for other diners. That does not translate to dress, but to behavior.

I once traveled with a friend (we tend to cruise in groups...like a flock or a cult (lol)....when one gets separated, the whole group goes in search.....the men are usually located on the topless deck, eating melting ice cream!!) anyway, this friend dressed impecably, however she showed up for dinner, shall we say, in her cups...and we are talking knee crawling, drunk. Our friends accross the pond would say she was "pissed". Anyway, she did things like snap her fingers to get the waiters attention., slurred her words very loudly and spoke down to the waiter. My DH and I were soooooo embarrassed, that we simply did not mention our next cruise outing to her.

anyone else have any "challenging" dining experiences??
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

y'all crack me up! i cruised jubilee last summer. i can tell you some people were dressed to the hilt and looked wonderful! in our family, we ladies wore church dresses on formal nights and the guys wore slacks with collared shirts, no ties. the other evenings i wore capris and i honestly don't remember what my hubby or kids wore.

my girls enjoy dressing up, which requires multiple pairs of shoes, jewelry and of course, clothes. hubby and i, however, are not big fans of dressing up on the ship. main reasons are: 1) with a family of 5, suitcase space is tight 2) on a full ship, you take the stairs a lot so you don't have to wait on the elevator.

i certainly would not be offended by anyone being in jeans or shorts for that matter. once they sit down, you can't see their pants anyway. however, i would be offended to be expected to leave because someone didn't like the way i dressed. yes, i remember dressing formally to dine at steak & ale in the 70's. i can also remember the first time i saw someone eating there in jeans. you know what i thought? hey, you mean i don't have to freeze and be uncomfortable to eat here anymore?

i would rather eat with someone in very casual clothing than with someone in a suit, drunk off their butt, unfriendly or overly critical. clothes do not define who you are or how much class you have. in fact, i have known people who try to fool others into thinking they are something they are not by the way they dress.

now that i've rambled on, what i'd like to say is just enjoy yourself. stop worrying about what others are wearing or what others are thinking.

p.s. it's van halen
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Deanna said: <<<<i would rather eat with someone in very casual clothing than with someone in a suit, drunk off their butt, unfriendly or overly critical>>>>

Wow! Do they require you to make a choice? Seriously, it's hardly an 'either/or' proposition but I'm inclined to think that people who have such disregard for the custom and protocol of the cruise experience that they insist on wearing casual clothes to formal night are more likely to be the drunk, unfriendly type.
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM
First Mate

Behavior and mode of dress do not necessarily go hand and hand.

I bet the wait staff in those dining rooms have some stories!!! Imagine if someone is rude on the first night of a seven day cruise....and the waiter/waitress has to deal with them for the next seven days!!!

I would never asked to be moved because someone wore jeans (although I am on "dressing up for dinner" team ), but I would asked to be moved in a minute to a new table if someone was being rude to the wait staff. I would also inform the maitre 'd

BTW---do you all tip the maitre 'd and if so, why?

Royale 5/85; Oceanic 7/85, 5/86, 5/89
Veracruz 7/88; Fantasy 7/97;
Tropicale 6/98; Sov. Seas 6/99;
Sensation 5/03, 5/04; Glory 9/03,Triumph 9/04; Pride 3/05
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Captain

Kenster people that dress up can be and many times are rude and they also can and do get drunk and obnoxious just like some people who do not dress up. To think that a person who dresses up is better than others is a huge mistake.

I personally dress accordingly to match the dress code but I could care less what others are wearing and rarely notice what others are wearing. I do notice people who are drunk and obnoxious and they are NOT just people who are not dressed according to the suggested dress code.