Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Default Are jeans allowed?

Our HORRIBLE travel agent told us that no jeans are allowed in the dining room at night. Is this true on the Conquest? I have been on 2 other cruises and jeans were allowed. Also she won't give us an itinerary of the week. Like what nights are formal and so on. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Are jeans allowed?

As far as I know, no jeans or shorts or Tshirts in Dining room.

But I am wondering if jeans are allowed in bars and niteclubs...
Old January 9th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Bobby

My TA told me that jeans are ok. I figure that its MY vacation and I will be wearing jeans (neat of course) to dinner. My sail date is 1-12-03 on the Conquest.
Old January 9th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Re: Are jeans allowed?

Blue jeans and T shirts are NOT supposed to be worn in the dining room. I've seen people who do, but depending on the ship you MAY be turned away from the dining room.

If anyone's TA has advised them that jeans are ok, they were simply trying to close a sale, and not being helpful.

Regards,
Kuki
Old January 9th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Jenny24

No jeans at Dinner, they can be worn for other things just not dinner. What people wear to dinner shows there cass from what ohers say. People who wear suites to dinner and tuxes on formal nights are the rich sophisticated type. And people who wear all suites are the middle class. People who wear jeans are looked down upon, This is what i have been told not my opinion, this is just what i was told.
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Todda

I have gone to jeans with a nice dress shirt and have not felt look down on even on Celeberty. So for me it's jeans for casual and semi and a tux for formal.
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Admiral

Folks, NO JEANS! Look in the info Carnival sends with the docs, they indicate the dress. I don't care if it's your vacation. You want jeans, then eat at the buffet. I am sure you would not go to a fancy restaurant wearing jeans so think of this as the same. The TA either does not know what they are talking about or just wanted to close the deal. This is a huge cruise pet peeve of ours, is the people who find it so hard to adhere to the dress code. On the 1st night it would be ok along with shorts so take advantage of that if you want.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Jamie Gunter

Default Re: Re: Re: Are jeans allowed?

From the Carnival Web Site:

What should I pack?
Casual attire is the order of the day, both on board and ashore. For one or two nights, a dark suit or formal attire is suggested. The dress code for other evenings ranges from sport coat and tie to casual resort wear. For Alaska and Canada cruises, sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested.

Note: Shorts and T-shirts are not permitted in the dining room area during dinner.

I would read that to mean shorts and t_shirts are the only attire that cannot be worn. My last Carnival Cruise, I wore nice jeans and a polo shirt. There were even people not dress up at the formal nights.
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:46 PM
First Mate

Despite what many people believe to be true, jeans are not prohibited on Carnival ships. Carnivals policy is that shorts and t-shirts are are not permitted in the dining room area durning dinner. On formal nights they recommend cocktail dress for women; a dark suit or tuxedo for men. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner; that includes sport shirts for men and slacks for women. However it is my personal opinion that one should not wear jeans to dinner in the dining room as one would not do so in a comparable restaurant on shore.
Old January 9th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Todda

A nice pair of jeans and dress shirt looks better than a dumb polyester outfit.
Old January 9th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Passenger

I have only been on one cruise and it was Carnival. I did not see anyone wearing jeans to dinner. Why would you want to draw attention to yourself like that?
Old January 9th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Your TA is not horrible. They are merely trying to stress the level of "expected" attire that most people will be wearing so you will feel comfortable. If you are traveling to the Caribbean, jeans are plain heavy and warm, so leave them at home or for traveling to the port. I have seen men with nice jeans and a navy blazer, ladies and men in nice jeans for Country and Western night, etc. Most people choose to dress for dinner like they are going on a "date". They try to look their best. Have a great cruise. Your TA also does not have a copy of your "itineary". You should be able to get that on line (Carnival's web page) or in the cruise line brochure. Of course itinerary is always subject to change and that is written in the cruise contract. If you want the tours, email Carnival on their site and ask to have it faxed to you.
Bon Voyage
Old January 10th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Beginner

Just got back yesterday from a 5 day cruise out of New Orleans. My daughters had on jeans a couple days in the dining room and no one said anything. Most people were dressed up.
Old January 10th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Imho jeans are just to dark and heavy for a Caribbean cruise, think light airy tropical clothes, if your jeans are neat, clean, crisp with no rips, tears or anything like that and you absoutley, positively have to wear them or you will go into denim withdrawl then wear them with a nice sports shirt and nice shoes - NO SNEAKERS in the dining room Pleeease!!!!
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Okay, lets see if we can put the information out there so you can know what to expect. Shorts and t-shirts are not permitted in the dining area during the evening meal. Jean used to be listed as also not permitted. This was directed at the blue deniem type jeans. I have seen the occasional person on some ships wearing them but they are not looked upon with any favor. I have also see people told that they are not attired correctly and 'suggested' they not wear them again. Cruising isn't going to the local motel or DisneyWorld people. The ship is a large part of the vacation and the traditions are also a large part of it. Tradition requires one dress for dinner EVERY night. Be it formal or resort casual which consists of at the minimum dockers, slacks, dress pants, and at least a collared shirt. To do otherwise is just impolite and disrespectful of others. You would not think of going to a fine resturant dressed in jeans nor should you do so on a cruise ship, it is just plain tracky. Will you be tossed out, doubtful but it has been known to happen. Will you be looked upon as a crude person, yes. Will you lower the experiance of others, yes. Come on, just help preserve this tradition and show the respect and enjoy cruising the way it is supposed to be and dress up for dinner, you will be pleasantly surprised at how good you geel about yourself and how much better the whole experiance will be for you. If you want to go to a fast-food style dining, then go to the buffet and stay out of the restaurant.
Jim

Old January 10th, 2003, 10:11 PM
First Mate

Well said Jim. I couldn't agree more.
Old January 11th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Sue Sue

My hubby and I have had the opportunity to move around alot due to his job transfers. And I have found that the exceptable level of dress varies from one area to another. In the Northeast, depending on the State and area, it seems that folks will dress to the resort casual level without much fuss. Dress/casual trousers and shirts for men, dresses or slacks with dress/casual tops for ladies. Very often the attire is very simple, but resort casual. Unless of course you are in the bigger cities ie: NY, Boston and then that is another story. There I see more dress up for all occasions . After 36 years in the northeast, we were transferred to TEXAS and have been here for 7 years. Where, very often, jeans are found at formal occasions. Also, boots and hats (of the cowboy kind, but don't call them that-just boots and hats) are exceptable , if not expected formal/resort casual attire. One reason I believe where the difficulty comes on the cruising topic of formal and resort casual, is that so many folkshave a different point of view. However, what is lost in the interpretation is that folks should understand what they are signing up for. Meaning, that if you are cruising or attending a function of some sort, there may be a dress code that is different from what you consider normal. I guess the best way is to say it is "When in Rome......." . Dress is very much part of the attitude of cruising or any function for that mattter. And when any invitation says "suggested attire" , it actually is a courtesy or polite way of saying "expected dress". So, folks, keep the jeans and shorts for the buffet restaurant.
Old January 11th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Shipbound

I've been on 17 cruises with Carnival and I have never been turned away from the
dining room because I wore jeans. When i did wear them nobody has ever looked
down at me. Carnival has two formal nights but the other nights I believe you can
wear anything but t-shirts or shorts. However I will check with Carnival to see what
the dress codes are in the dining room.
Old January 11th, 2003, 12:57 PM
First Mate

I believe that you wear what is comfortable for you, as long as your not breaking the rules of the cruise lines. If they allowed jeans and you are comfortable wearing them then wear them. I've been on many Carnival cruises and I have worn both. Jeans with a collared shirt and SNEAKERS and I have never been "LOOKED DOWN UPON". If I was I didn't notice because I don't pay attention to people like that. If one who wears jeans ruins the experince of cruising of another passenger, then my cruise experience must be ruin because they have a topless deck and i'm sure that isn't a tradition of cruising. <G> This reminds me about the part in Titanic when they were talking about "NEW AND OLD MONEY" and who can forget about "STEERAGE" and if thats the case we are all "steerage"because we all look to pay the lowest fare.<G> Lets remember, how one dresses doesn't tell us how one is......

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old January 11th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lets look at this from another perspective. I am not anti-jeans, I own and wear jeans but not on cruises. They are too hot anyway. I wear shorts(Fl.) 99% of the time but not at dinner on cruises.
The different way of looking at this question. When you read the brochure and all other literature from the cruise line and then you buy your cruise. You expect and demand that the cruise line live up to their promises as written. Thats a contract between you and the line. However if their literature says no jeans, in buying your cruise YOU HAVE agreed to the contract as written So that if you wear jeans, or shorts, or a Tshirt to dinner, you have violated the contract. If you wrote to the cruise line and said "I would like to purchase X cruise but I must be allowed to wear jeans to dinner" and the line wrote back OK. Thats a counteroffer and acceptance. Then you could wear jeans as contracted. I know that its your vacation but you have agreed to a legal contract.
Dan

Not a lawyer, just having fun.
Old January 11th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Todda

Jeans are not PROHIBITED in the dinning room.
Old January 11th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Sue Sue

Correct, Jeans are not Prohibited, however, it is a courtesy not to wear them in the main dining room for dinner.
Old January 11th, 2003, 07:47 PM
First Mate

Courtesy to whom? The other passengers? I don't even notice what other people wear! If you let what someone wears or doesn't wear affect your cruise then in my opinion you have nothing else better to do with your time. Is this a fashion show?

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old January 11th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Sue Sue

When it comes to courtesy to other passengers, the answer, in my opinion, is yes.
Old January 11th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Tom M.

If jeans are not prohibited and you want to wear jeans, don't let anybody stop you. You are on vacation, you should do anything you want without worrying what others think of you. Forget courtesy, do what's best for you. If I was older I would probably dress up to look nice for my girlfriend. But I'm 19, and with my own money put into the cruise alone, I am not willing to spend a fortune on a tux. I assume for those who can't afford it(and for those who want to do what they want), whatever you have, whether they be khakis and a golf shirt, will suffice.
Old January 12th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Familiar Face

The night that we got on the ship for dinner was very causal and you could wear what you wanted since some people did not have suitcases by dinner time. We had a second night when short were allowed the night we were in Cozumel. Didn't need dress c lothes for 2 of the nights.
Old January 12th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Admiral

I vote for wearing uniforms ! ! ! Then there is no question about what's accepted.

Wonder if I can still fit into the navy pants, white shirt and bow tie we had to wear in grade school. <wink>

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 12th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Lois

Been on 14 cruises and I have never seen anyone "looked down upon". In fact,
most people couldn't give a tinker's toot what anybody else does....they are just
there to have a nice vacation. I do know shorts are not allowed in the dining room
at dinner. I have seen dressy jeans with nice shirts...both men and women. But,
not on formal nights. We don't go to formal nights anymore...been there, done that.
We eat at the buffet those nights and enjoy packing less "stuff".

Old January 12th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Lois

cruisin4fun!!! I agree with you. I don't go on a cruise to people watch. I go to enjoy
my vacation. And, if people watch me....sad they have nothing better to do!
Old January 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Apparently a number of people do feel that "dress codes" are meaningless and do not apply to them, they should and can do what they want. While I'm not old, nor rich, nor 'fancy' I do follow and respect traditions and dressing for dinner is one of them onboard a cruise line. I'm sorry if I just can't understand this type of attitude of "me first and I'll do as I please, I'm not hurting anyone". While this may be true, it is still rude. Do those of you that demand to wear whatever you wish because you are paying for it also demand to ignore "jacket and tie required" signs at land based dining establishments? Come on folks, this isn't McDonalds or Taco Bell, it is a nice restaurant and there is a dress code. It isn't putting you out and you may just find that it does lend something to the dining experiance.
Jim