Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2003, 01:31 PM
emgrace

Default using porters

How does everyone feel about using porters for our luggage? Years ago we allowed them to bring our bags on board with no problem, but I just found out that they are not employees of the Cruise Line. I'm thinking It might be safer to just bring them on ourselves. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: using porters

Basically all that these folks do is load your bags into those huge storage bins that are then loaded enmass onto the ship. After loaded into the ship the stewards are the ones that bring the luggage to your cabin. The porters do very little handling of your bags. It's just a way for some folks to make a living. It wouldn't bother me or slow the process down one wit if they just had the passengers place their luggage in the bins or on a conveyer belt but these porters woiuld go nuts if that happened. <G> I have seen recent complaints on the Internet where a porter that works Disney Cruise Lines is complaining because they only make $10 and hour plus tips and they want more so want it unionized. <>
Jim

Old January 10th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Working as Porters at the seaport is their job! They depend on tips. A few dollars in the hand is worth it. Terminals have airport style security screening devices. All luggage, camera bags, pocketbooks, etc. must be scanned. Carnival distinctly posts that bags must be 11x18 or carry on size or smaller. Don't put anythimg that won't fit or is vaulable like jewelry camera or money in your suitcases. You will just have to walk outside and check the luggage anyway if it doesn't fit.
Bon Voyage
Old January 10th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Todda

What I don't like is they have been known to openly say tip us if you want to see your bags again, so everybody gets scared and tip more than they should. Also sometimes you don't get your bags until after you sail so hand carry what you need like swim wear. I personal like to bring every thing on ( roller bag and hook for duffel) so I can unpack and nest right away. .
Old January 11th, 2003, 08:03 AM
emgrace

Default Re: Re: using porters

Wow! That's a little scary! So what kind of tip do they expect in order for our bags to make it to the cabin? I think after hearing that, my mind is made up.
Old January 11th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Todda

Default Re: Re: Re: using porters

It's the intimidation factor thats so bad but a tip of five or so will work.
Old January 11th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Lisa L

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: using porters

On my last cruise on RCI one of our bags was loaded onto the wrong carosel It took us 2 hours to find it. There were 4 of us and 10 pieces of luggage between us. The porter was willing to wait until we found our lost bag but I wouldn't let him knowing full well this was how he made his living. He left to help other passengers but periodically came back and checked on us. He was there when we found our luggage and helped us get it to the car. A $20 tip did not seem enough.
Old January 11th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Threats or any type of intimidation by anyone should never be tolerated and should immediately be reported to a supervisor. I have no problem with tipping and actually tipping well but never tell me I better tip or else. <G>
Jim

Old January 11th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Emgrace,
We've always used the porters at the pier to deliver our luggage, usually $2 per bag should do it, we have enough to carry with the carry-on anyway.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 11th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

You essentially have to turn luggage that is larger than what will fit through the xray machine at security over to the porters...if it doesn't fit you will have to go back outside and hand the luggage over to them. The size of the scanner is the same size as at an airport security checkpoint - just big enough for a regulation size carryon and that's it. I've been on 7 cruises and have never had a bag not delivered.

Old January 12th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Todda

About the size thing. The screener does not have template to limit size to exactly to carry on limit. They may make you check it at the pier and your bag maybe to big anyway but a roller with hook and duffle fits. I'm ten for ten. Thats just me and the easy way is to give it to the porter.
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: using porters

Usually a $1 per bag is regarded as acceptable. Donna says $2 per bag is enough. She is right, it is enough. I had one problem with my luggage once when one of my onboard sandals in the mesh netting on the outside of my luggage didn't make it.

Hmmmmm, maybe I ought to up my porter allotment to $2 per bag. <grin>

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM
emgrace

Thanks everyone for all the info! I think we will use the porters. We will just tip them $2 per bag, as Donna suggested. I think we can afford it! We will be on vacation after all! It sounds as though nobody has had a problem with them, so I won't worry. Thanks again!