Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Passenger

Default My friend did miss her 10:55 return flight ! no lysol can on

I am the one who posted a question about whether a 10:55 RETURN flight was too early. I had the 1:15 flight time. My friend did book the earlier flight and talked to the purser on the Carnival Imagination about her early flight. They changed her color on her luggage and everyone that had to get off the ship early had to meet at 8:00 am the morning we were getting off the ship. She got off the ship at 9:00 and took a taxi to the Miami airport. She arrived at the airport at 9:30, paid the taxi and about the time she got inside it was about 9:45 and she stood in line to check in her luggage. They told her she was too late to board her plane. Our flight was the next one leaving Miami coming to RDU at 1:14 and it was FULL and the flight after that was also FULL. She had to wait to see if 3 people didnt show so she could get on the plane if seats were available. Now it is time for us to start boarding and no seats were available BUT................ they announced that there was a problem with our plane and the maintenance crew were checking it out. So we waited about 30 minutes and they announced that the plane was taken out of service and we would have to fly to RDU on another plane. Well is turned out this plane was larger than the one we had booked. We had booked the plane with 2 seats on one side and 3 seats on the other side. This NEW plane we were having to take had 3 seats on BOTH sides and there was room for them. LUCKY!!!!!!!!!
About the LYSOL................... I took a can of lysol with me from RDU to Miami. (I wanted to use this in our cabin on the cruise, I was worried about catching a virus), I did NOT even use it. Once I got on the ship all my worries left me. On my return flight from Miami to RDU they took my can on LYSOL. So if you are flying don't take any aerosol can (at least not leaving from Miami airport). They told me NO aerosol cans. I had not idea. I don't fly much. We came back off our cruise on Jan 6, 2003.

Post Edited (01-10-03 16:14)
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Todda

Default Re: My friend did miss her 10:55 return flight ! no lysol ca

I thought she would have made it. 930 at airport not bad. Did she have an E-Ticket because with that there is normaly no waiting to check bags and can go right to the gate.
Old January 10th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: My friend did miss her 10:55 return flight ! no lyso

Yes she did have electronic tickets. Someone at the airport told her she might would have gotten on the plane if she had checked her luggage in outside. ( I didnt see it but there is a way for you to swipe your tickets and not have to wait in that long long line at Miami, so I was told). She is inexperienced in flying also and just went inside and waited in line thinking she would have the time. She had everything checked in before 10:55 but barely but they told her it was too late. I wasn't at the airport yet so I don't know all the details. I know I was surprised when I went in and saw her standing there. Anyway we all got to ride back together.
Old January 10th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Todda

Default Re: Re: Re: My friend did miss her 10:55 return flight ! no

I made a 10 00 AM and used E=ticket machine for bag check-in. I guess I should have not posted my comments that it wouldn't be a problem. I carry a spray starch can that has not been taken away in the states but was in Japan when they said only spray cans allowed had to be for the body like hair spray. Glad it all worked out.
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Rule of thumb that is even more applicable since 9/11...never book any flight before noon, period. In addition, no aerosol cans are allowed on the plane. You can take spray bottles, but those that are pressurized are not allowed and will be taken from you.
Jim

Old January 13th, 2003, 01:14 PM
DonnaAldred

No Aerosol on plane? Does that mean I can't pack hairspray in my checked luggage?
Old January 13th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: My friend did miss her 10:55 return flight ! no

Donna,
Yes, you can pack the hairspray in the checked luggage, just not the carry-on.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 13th, 2003, 05:05 PM
MichelleM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: My friend did miss her 10:55 return flight !

Glad it ended up working for your friend. We were happy to see that our flight time got changed from 1:30-2:00pm that extra half an hour can help sometimes.
Old January 14th, 2003, 10:58 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My friend did miss her 10:55 return flig

I would never book a flight from Mia to Bdl before 2:00pm. Missing a flight is a bummer, especially on a weekend when all the flights are full because of the people coming off the
cruise ships. Besides after 911security could be a major problem when trying to make a early
flight it is not worth the stress.
Old January 15th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Passenger

Default My can of lysol was NOT in my carry on luggage

My can of lysol was not in my carry on luggage it was in the luggage to check in. When we were showing our ID's checking our luggage in they asked did I have any aerosol cans in my luggage. I told her I did have a can of lysol. I did not think about the hairspray. I know everyone in our group look hairspray and it was not problem taking that on the plane. I saw that they had taken a can of bug spray out of someone elses luggage because they put my lysol can beside it. I do not flying anyway and will looking to see when Carnival has another cruise leaving from Charleston, SC or Norfolk VA. because I can easily drive to those. But I guess it will be a while before we can cruise again but it is fun to look and plan on where you want to go next. I want to go somewhere different. I have been to Cozumel 3 times and I am looking at maybe Bermuda. I know last year they did have a cruise departing from one the ports I am interested in.
Old January 15th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: My can of lysol was NOT in my carry on luggage

Gosh, I thought you can have a can in your check-in luggage, just not carry-on. How are you supposed to take like a can of shaving cream?? We've just started packing it in the check-in, although last trip my husband totally forgot to pack it at all?? Any ideas out there?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 15th, 2003, 10:59 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: My can of lysol was NOT in my carry on luggage

I would not put anything in your suitcases that has a lot of density to it because of security
reasons. If you are going on cruise most cruise lines supply certain items,such as shaving
cream and razors,etc. If your are a land lover buy them there.You can not take anything in
your carry on that can be used as a weapon, so think about it.
Old January 15th, 2003, 01:12 PM
martinimomma.

Default Re: Re: Re: My can of lysol was NOT in my carry on luggage

Take the lysol or clorox WIPES, they work just as well. And for shaving, Caress or Dove liquid shower also doubles as shaving cream for both men and women. And I ditto the remarks of previous listers -- do not book any flights prior to 1pm when you arrive back in port at 8am. You get too rushed, and it can ruin your return home (yes, as in missing your flight). Bon Voyage.
Old January 19th, 2003, 03:35 PM
grumpy

Default Re: Re: My can of lysol was NOT in my carry on luggage

for shaving cream i use aloe vera gel it works great and its not aerosol
Old January 19th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: My can of lysol was NOT in my carry on luggage

Hey Gumpy,
Thanks for the shaving tip, will keep that in mind :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 19th, 2003, 11:33 PM
mtngrl

You can carry hairspray. I do it all the time. I only carry regular size deodorant and hair spray and have never once had anyone say anthing to me. The corkscrew and clippers surprised me also. I have carried those several times also and not had a problem. As of last week anyway.

check out this site:

http://www.tsa.dot.gov/interweb/asse...ted_011703.doc
Old January 19th, 2003, 11:35 PM
mtngrl

As for the long lines at the airport, I always use a skycap and avoid at least one huge line. The tip is well worth the time saved.

Sorry to hear about the problems encountered with an early flight, but glad it all worked out in the end.
Old January 20th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Shipbound

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: My can of lysol was NOT in my carry on lugga

You know I was talking about the density of the can not necessarily the contents of the can. The point i was trying to make is do not pack anything dense in your suitecases , they may be opened.
Old January 20th, 2003, 02:58 PM
TomS

Aerosol cans are officially banned from checked and carry-on baggage. This is because there is a risk of explosion because of the preasuure differences (even in an airplane, you are at the equivilent air preassure as if you were at 8,000 feet above sea level, the equivalent of a Colorado mountain resort town) The following is taken from the TSA website on permitted and prohibited items

Begin Quote

Flammable Items Checked Carry-on
Aerosol (any except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities) No No
Fuels (including cooking fuels and any flammable liquid fuel) No No
Gasoline No No
Gas Torches No No
Lighter Fluid No No
Strike-anywhere Matches No No
Turpentine and paint thinner No No

Note There are other hazardous materials that are regulated by the FAA. This information is summarized at http://cas.faa.gov/these.html

End Quote

You can find the full list of permitted and prohibited items at
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=12
Old January 20th, 2003, 07:42 PM
mtngrl

I also found this list at www.tsa.gov and it says you can carry toiletries with aerosols, in limited quanities (such as hairsprays, deodorants). I fly all the time and carry these items all the time. According to the tsa site, they aren't banned.

Can I take it? Carry-on Checked
Personal Items
Cigar Cutters Yes Yes
Corkscrews Yes Yes
Cuticle Cutters Yes Yes
Eyeglass Repair Tools (including screwdrivers) Yes Yes
Eyelash Curlers Yes Yes
Knitting and Crochet Needles Yes Yes
Knives, round-bladed butter or plastic Yes Yes
Nail Clippers Yes Yes
Nail Files Yes Yes
Personal care or toiletries with aerosols, in limited quantities (such as hairsprays, deodorants) Yes Yes
Safety Razors (including disposable razors) Yes Yes
Scissors-plastic or metal with blunt tips Yes Yes
Scissors-metal with pointed tips No Yes
Toy Transformer Robots Yes Yes
Toy Weapons (if not realistic replicas) Yes Yes
Tweezers Yes Yes
Umbrellas (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed) Yes Yes
Walking Canes (allowed in carry-on baggage once they have been inspected to ensure that prohibited items are not concealed) Yes Yes

Note Some personal care items containing aerosol are regulated as hazardous materials. The FAA regulates hazardous materials. This information is summarized at http://cas.faa.gov/these.html
Medication and Special Needs Devices
Braille Note-Taker, Slate and Stylus, Augmentation Devices Yes Yes
Diabetes-Related Supplies/Equipment, (once inspected to ensure prohibited items are not concealed) including: insulin and insulin loaded dispensing products; vials or box of individual vials; jet injectors; pens; infusers; and preloaded syringes; and an unlimited number of unused syringes, when accompanied by insulin; lancets; blood glucose meters; blood glucose meter test strips; insulin pumps; and insulin pump supplies. Insulin in any form or dispenser must be properly marked with a professionally printed label identifying the medication or manufacturer’s name or pharmaceutical label. Yes Yes
Nitroglycerine pills or spray for medical use (if properly marked with a professionally printed label identifying the medication or manufacturer’s name or pharmaceutical label) Yes Yes
Prosthetic Device Tools and Appliances, including drill, allen wrenches, pullsleeves used to put on or remove prosthetic devices, if carried by the individual with the prosthetic device or his or her companion Yes Yes
Electronic Devices
Camcorders Yes Yes
Camera Equipment The checked baggage screening equipment will damage undeveloped film in camera equipment. We recommend that you either put undeveloped film and cameras containing undeveloped film in your carry-on baggage or take undeveloped film with you to the checkpoint and ask the screener to conduct a hand-inspection. Be aware that screening equipment for carry-on baggage may also damage your film if the film passes through the X-ray machine more than 5 times. You may always request a hand inspection. Yes Yes
Laptop Computers Yes Yes
Mobile Phones Yes Yes
Pagers Yes Yes
Personal Data Assistants (PDA’s) Yes Yes

Note Check with your airline or travel agent for restrictions on the use of these and other electronic items during your flight.

Sharp Objects
Box Cutters No Yes
Ice Axes/Ice Picks No Yes
Knives (any length and type except round-bladed, butter, and plastic cutlery) No Yes
Meat Cleavers No Yes
Razor-Type Blades, such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors No Yes
Sabers No Yes
Scissors – metal with pointed tipsScissors with plastic or metal blunt tips are permitted in your carry-on. No Yes
Swords No Yes

Note Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

Sporting Goods
Baseball Bats No Yes
Bows and Arrows No Yes
Cricket Bats No Yes
Golf Clubs No Yes
Hockey Sticks No Yes
Lacrosse Sticks No Yes
Pool Cues No Yes
Ski Poles No Yes
Spear Guns No Yes

Note Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
Guns and Firearms
AmmunitionCheck with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. If ammunition is permitted, it must be declared to the airline at check-in. Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply. No Yes
BB guns No Yes
Compressed Air Guns No Yes
Firearms No Yes
Flare Guns No No
Gun Lighters No No
Gun Powder No No
Parts of Guns and Firearms No Yes
Pellet Guns No Yes
Realistic Replicas of Firearms No Yes
Starter Pistols No Yes

Note Check with your airline or travel agent to see if firearms are permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply. Firearms carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and declared to the airline at check-in. Only you, the passenger, may have the key or combination.

Tools
Axes and Hatchets No Yes
Cattle Prods No Yes
Crowbars No Yes
Hammers No Yes
Drills (including cordless portable power drills) No Yes
Saws (including cordless portable power saws) No Yes
Screwdrivers (except those in eyeglass repair kits) No Yes
Tools (including but not limited to wrenches and pliers) No Yes
Wrenches and Pliers No Yes

Note Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.

Martial Arts/Self Defense Items
Billy Clubs No Yes
Black Jacks No Yes
Brass Knuckles No Yes
Kubatons No Yes
Mace/Pepper SprayOne 118 ml or 4 Fl. oz. container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. For more information on these and other hazardous materials, visit http://cas.faa.gov/these.html . No Yes
Martial Arts Weapons No Yes
Night Sticks No Yes
Nunchakus No Yes
Old January 20th, 2003, 07:49 PM
mtngrl

I meant to add, I do believe that they won't let you bring a can of lysol, if I am reading this correctly. But I do not understand they difference between a can of deodorant and hairspray being allowed, and a can of lysol not. You would think aerosols would be aerosols.

But it is a pretty informative site.
Old January 20th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Thanks Mtngirl,
I thought you could pack a travel size can of shaving cream, so we will try and hope for the best.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:25 PM
mtngrl

Donna, my hubby carries shaving cream and has had no problems. He carries the regular size, not the travel size when he travels. I think you will be finw.

I do find their rules a bit odd though. An aerosol can is an aerosol can, be it a can of deodorant, hair spray or lysol. You would think they would ban them all if there was some problem. It must be a government thing!

Happy cruising to everyone!
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:42 PM
Admiral

MTNGIRL

Will be packing a trail size in the carry-on and hope it gets through, if not the husband will get by fine :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 22nd, 2003, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Donna - just flew yesterday back form FLL. I had my can of aerosol hair spray in my checked luggage - it was not a problem. In fact one of my suitcases was opened and checked (and yes I got the little note saying it was opened and checked) - but that was the suitcase that did not have the powerstrip or the hair spray in it (also no booze, chocolate, etc..) Go figure.