CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Patch vs. Dramamine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/189874-patch-vs-dramamine.html)

njdave January 15th, 2003 11:52 AM

Patch vs. Dramamine

Just looking for opinions.

LHP January 15th, 2003 01:33 PM

Re: Patch vs. Dramamine

I always use Bonine. (get it at WalMart) Non-prescription. It is never made me sleepy and I have never been sea sick....even with some bodacious waves. One every morning (and then you can take another at night if needed).

Barb S. January 15th, 2003 02:01 PM

Re: Re: Patch vs. Dramamine

I would agree with LHP. You can buy over the counter bonine or meclazine at most pharmacies. They don't make you nearly as sleepy as dramamine. The patch has many bad side effects including dizziness and double vision. Guess I would stay away from them.

salem January 15th, 2003 02:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Patch vs. Dramamine

DO NOT USE THE PATCH! I hated it, and I still felt seasick, so half way thu the cruise I took Bonnine, worked great, and no side effects.
Mary Margaret

MattADL January 15th, 2003 02:25 PM

dude your not gonna get sea sick my dad gets motion sickness in his water bed and he doesn't even get sick on cruises dont worry about it

robbie January 15th, 2003 02:37 PM

Take Bonine if you are the least bit worried about motion sickness. My wife has a tendency to get car sick but with the new cruise stabilizers, she has never had to use anything on a cruise ship, including a storm with 50 foot swells (now THAT was fun!).

dack32 January 15th, 2003 03:50 PM

Don't take the patch!! I used it on my last cruise and it had too many side effects including dizziness and double vision - i was better off taking a anti nausea pill - there were no side effects and it took me over 7 days to get over using the stupid patch! Its not worth it - take the pill!!

rickyray January 15th, 2003 03:51 PM

anyone have any experience with those wrist bands???

Sissybrat January 15th, 2003 08:52 PM

We both used the behind the ear patches, and never once had a problem!

Paradise
W. Caribbean
May 2002

Robyn January 16th, 2003 06:03 PM

OK, I need clarification. I have a presription for the patch at the pharmacy - Dr. said only way to go. BUT, I don't want to use it if it makes me drowsy, etc., although drowsy is definitely better than sea sick. First time cruise, Caribean second week of Feb., big ship (Triumph)...what to do????? (And I do get sick when I read in the car...)
Robyn

Denny January 17th, 2003 04:09 PM

Last cruise in Dec.02. we tried the sea-bands for our daughter. They worked great. Didn't need any medication. I would recommend the wrist bands.

rodm January 17th, 2003 04:38 PM

Everyone is different. What works for me is a bonine and a margarita about one hour before sailing! That is a cure for many things!!!!

salem January 17th, 2003 04:56 PM

As I said before.....the patch is horrible...at least for me...my throat was so dry, if felt like I had strep...I am gona use Drammine or Bonnine next cruise. My doctor warned me about all the side effects of the patch, but I did not listen, I sure wish I had!
Good luck in what ever you do..
My husband was in the Navy, he said secreat is keep your stomach full, crackers are the best bet.
Mary Margaret

shawcross January 19th, 2003 12:10 PM

the wristband is the most effective mode for those who do not want the limitations of the drugs. they operate an a pressure point identified by the chinese hundreds of years ago (when you could really get seasick)
the patch needs to be applied before you get on-board and you should not drink any alcohol if using any drugs or patches.