Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Sherry&Bob

Default bringing liquor on board?

Hi

My husband and I cruised on the Pride last year and really got taken with the high price of liquor, especially since you had to but those little bottles if you wanted a drink in your cabin. Does anyone know how to bring liquor on board? I know Carnival says you can't do this, but reading your reviews I realize that some people can. How?
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2003, 01:22 PM
emgrace

Default Re: bringing liquor on board?

We plan on bringing clear liquor, either gin or Vodka on our ckecked baggage. We will put it in empty water bottles, sealed inside ziplock bags. Probably a bottle of juice cocktail or soda to mix with it as well. I have read that you should not put the liquor in your carry-on, as it could get searched and dumped out. People seem to have better luck if it's in the suitcase. Hope this helps!
Old January 26th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Holly Cutie

Default Re: Re: bringing liquor on board?

Do not put it in your carry on. Put one bottle in each of your suitcases, that should be your best bet. I ahve never had aproblem with that. Also I have placed 2 bottles each when returning home and have never had a problem. They do not X ray your luggage coming off the ship they only x ray it going on .
Old January 26th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Shipbound

Well in the past( before 911) I took two Liters of coke poured one about 3/4 out ,poured
captain morgan's run in then filled it with the other liter of coke and carried in on the ship in my carry on. I have took a 2.75 L of clear spirits in a plastic bottle and put it in my luggage. I do not know how this would work since 911.
Old January 26th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Holly Cutie

Default Re: Re: Re: bringing liquor on board?

I just came back 2 weeks ago and have been on 3 cruises since 9/11. They are not looking for alcohol really so their guidelines to this specific item has not changed that much. I still do the same thing as I have posted before in this thread and have not had any problems.
Old January 26th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

What about bringing liquor in checked baggage on a plane? Isnít there a rule about packing flammables? I guess the question may be, Is liquor (alcohol) considered a flammable? Most airports have these new hi-tech scanners, if they detect bottles of liquid, do you think they may want to open the suitcase?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Post Edited (01-26-03 15:52)

Carnival Truimph
Old January 26th, 2003, 05:07 PM
martinimomma.

you have to buy your liquor AFTER you get off plane. don't take booze in your carryon. they will make you either (a) drink it, or (b) pour it out. Happened to me in Washington, DC on getting onto a CHARTER FLIGHT!!!! Pack it in checked baggage before you give to porters at dock. Tip them well, they will really take care of your luggage. they don't want folks bringing on cases of hooch, a bottle won't make them open your luggage. REMEMBER, if on Carnival ship, you are allowed to bring on a superior bottle of wine/champagne for drinking in dining room ($10 corkage fee), not really that bad.
(bring good bottle of champagne, they charge way too much!!!)

BON VOYAGE!!!

Imagination 1997 Western Carribean
Vision of the Seas 1999 Panama Canal
Millennium 2001 Mediterranean
Sensation 2003 Western Carribean
Constellation 2004 Baltic
Old January 26th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Martinimomma, what about champagne and flavored water on the plane? We plan on bringing both but I don't want to pour it out or drink it until I get to the ship. Can you advise on that? I haven't flown in many many years and we are leaving this Sat. Thanks!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 26th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Passenger

I'm checking this out with my cousin who works as a scanner at the airport.
I'll let you know if I hear back from her.
Old January 26th, 2003, 11:53 PM
martinimomma.

O Lord. Please only buy it when you reach a destination. Otherwise, I am sure you will have to dump it out/ or at the worst, pack in your checked luggage and pray!!! ox
Old January 27th, 2003, 11:50 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: bringing liquor on board?

Hey Holly:
That is good to know because I'll be sailing on the Spirit on March 8, 2003.
Thanks for the info.

Gary
Old January 27th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Lauralord

I just came back from the Pride last week, and I brought 2 plastic "traveler" bottles of Captain Morgan's in my luggage with no problem at all. I also put them in gallon size ziploc bags just in case they cracked. I also did this with all my shampoos, lotions, etc.
Old January 27th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lauralord,

Did you go thru an airport with your luggage?
and
Was your luggage carry on or checked in?
Old January 27th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Passenger

hi, I cruised on the Legend earlier this month and had no trouble what so ever bringing my booze aboard. I think the policy is in place to weed out the yahoo's that carry on board cases of liquor or beer as opposed to us that just want to have a token drink in our cabin before dinner.

I purchased two bottles of wine at Winn Dixie's in Ft. Lauderdale (really cheap!) and brought with me from Toronto in my luggage 3 - 12 oz plastic containers of vodka.

My suggestion to all of you planning to pour out the water or scope bottles and fill them with your favourite hard stuff is not to. The worst that can happen is that they take the bottle from you and I didn't see or hear of that happening at all. I took the smaller bottles in case they did find one hidden away but again that wasn't necessary.

Oddly enough I ended up bringing one of the 12 oz vodka's back with me and leaving roughly $500.00 US at the various bars and lounges aboard the ship.

Have fun!!!!!

Dan from Toronto
Old January 27th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

So Dan, if we pack our vodka in our luggage before leaving Pearson we will have no problem? My husband is trying to tell me that I have to purchase at duty free and then stash in my luggage before boarding the ship. I f you purchase at duty free on the way down how does Carnival know??

Merry from Burlington
Old January 27th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Admiral

If sealed..TSA is not going to make you drink or throw away your wine. Saying that TSA will make you drink it is very funny...lol. Whats even more funny is some of the things you all do to "sneak" liquor aboard. A lot of you talk about smoking, dress, and behavior rules on ship....but you break other rules when it suits you. The word hypocrite comes to mind <G>. I always carry a couple bottles of dinner wine in our carry bag...and it has never been a problem pre or post 911. Gezzzz people, you spend thousands to take a cruise but you can afford to buy a couple drinks on the ship? Sad.

Old January 27th, 2003, 05:57 PM
First Mate

Hey Rick my thoughts exactly I wrote that in the cruise gripes section of theses boards too funny <VBG>

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old January 27th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rick,

You are absoutlly right. We all hoot and holler about one rule and we want to break another. However the boose rule is very different from the other rules we have all been bickering about. The boose rule is about WHERE you buy your boose, not if you are consuming boose. Very different.

There is a ton of money in the boose business, and the cruiseliners want to capitialize on that. The boose rule is about money. People spend a lot of money on cruises, and finding a little relef helps. If curiseliners included the boose within thier fares, there would not be a boose rule.

Joe
Old January 27th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Rick, I just want to take my favorite champagne which BTW the cruise line does not sell! Now they do allow me to bring it on board so tell me what is wrong with that? I just want to make sure it's not a problem on the airline which frankly I don't see why. What if I buy liquor in MX, you mean I can't bring it home?

Ok I called USAirways, you can carryon alcohol as long as it is less than 5 liter size, does not exceed 70% alcohol in volume and seal cannot be broken. Folks if in doubt call your respective airline!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 27th, 2003, 07:11 PM
DonnaAldred

Here Here Rick! You are so right! Everyone is ganging up on everyone on the "are jeans allowed" post...

Hey the way I see it, rules were made to be broken. .

I'll be wearing jeans and packing my own booze too. What other rules out there can I break???