Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2003, 09:21 AM
First Mate

Default Mexican Riviera Tours

Can anyone recommend any good tours for the Mexican Riviera cruise (Elation)? The stops are Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Luas. Is it safe to buy tours from non-Carnival sponsored tours? Any advice on the ports is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2003, 10:00 AM
MikeNy

Default Re: Mexican Riviera Tours

My wife and I just returned from the Elation cruise on Jan 15th. In Mazatlan, we went on a non-sponsored horseback riding tour and it was fantastic! The tour is Randi's Happy Horses and you can find information at www.mazinfo.com. Recommended that you make reservations at least 1 week in advance. It is about 1/2 the price of the Carnival tour and 10 times better!
Old January 28th, 2003, 10:33 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Mexican Riviera Tours

Thank you! This is my first cruise, so I'm not really sure what to expect...just looking to have a good time!
Old January 28th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera Tours

Mandy, when are you going? I'll be on Elation this weekend. So if you are going after that I can let you know how we faired.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 28th, 2003, 11:38 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera Tours

I will be going the week of February 9th...any info you can share would be a great help! This is my first cruise...
Old January 28th, 2003, 05:03 PM
ehogan

Default Re: Mexican Riviera Tours

We took the Elation last January - it was wonderful

I would suggest you take an excursion in Mazatlan - the city is not attractive. We took a long (7 hour) excursion that was quite good. It went to a town inland that is an art centre, included a lunch and stops at a brick making area and craft area.

Puerto Vallarta is a very interesting town and if it is your first time, you probably do not need an excursion.

You can grab a local bus just outside the pier which will take you downtown for about 35cents. When you are ready to head back, walk up one block away from the ocean and take the return trip.

our time in Cabo was short, we went into town, but next time I think I'll take a tour - Other than some souvenier shopping, there is not much in town.
Old January 28th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Mexican Riviera Tours

Mandy I won't be able to help you out because as I'm coming off the ship you will be going on. Sorry about that! I did do some online searching and Cabo San Lucas has the arch that I heard was a must see. Mazatlan also had some interesting features so I am sure we will find something interesting to bad. Enjoy your cruise!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 28th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Jeff & Trish

Default Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera Tours

We will be on the Elation on Feb 9 and been down the Riviera before. Puerto Vallarta is a very modern town and there are plenty of sites to see, very jungle like. I can not remember if there were tours offered from the pier or not. Mazatlan is more industrial but you can get some good off ship tours from the port. The last time we were there we shared an open air taxi for a tour of the area, it was much cheaper than the tours offered on the ship and it was more personalized. Cabo is a short stay, only did sight seeing there.

Hope this helps and maybe we will see you on board.
Old January 28th, 2003, 11:58 PM
MikeNy

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera Tours

We just returned from the Mexican Riviera on Jan 15th on the Elation. My wife and I had a wonderful time! Puerto Vallarta was the nicest day and it sure is nice that you spend the longest day there. We went through town and shopped, then spent the rest of the day at a pool in one of the many fine resorts. There are tours at the pier you can take if you want to do something like that.

If you have any questions about the Elation, let me know.