Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:32 AM
First Mate

Default Another alcohol question...

Ok, here is just one more alcohol question...Say hypothetically I do put a single bottle of booze in my luggage, and it is discovered during the x-ray process while entering the ship. I plan on keeping my luggage locked for this period of time, but if it is found, how will they confiscate it? Will they break the lock, or track me down while on the ship so that I can unlock it for them to get into my suitcase? Just trying to decide if it's worth it...
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2003, 10:08 AM
MichelleM

Default Re: Another alcohol question...

Honestly I don't think they really care. How do they know from the x-ray that it isn't a bottle of mouthwash? It just shows up as a bottle with liquid in it.
Old January 29th, 2003, 10:32 AM
martinimomma.

Default Re: Re: Another alcohol question...

you probably won't have a problem taking a bottle onboard the ship in a checked bag, or even a carry on. where you may run into a problem is packing the bottle in a checked bag ON THE AIRLINE. If the airline wants to open your bag to inspect what is in the bottle, they can break the lock on your bag, without having to ask your permission or notify you. SO: (1) DON'T LOCK YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE IF YOU ARE GOING TO CARRY A BOTTLE IN THAT BAG. (2) Otherwise, stop at a liquor store after you are off the plane and on your way to ship, then pack a bottle in your checked luggage before you give it to porters to put on ship. I know what you are talking about when discussing bringing a bottle on board. My last cruise I bought a bottle of Absolut from the bar -- $50USD!!! YIKES!!!
Old January 29th, 2003, 10:49 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Another alcohol question...

The whole airline thing is confusing to me, I have called the airline a couple of times, and each time I get a different story. Can I carry alcohol in my carry-on on the plane if it is a small sealed bottle? It just confuses me, because they do sell alcohol in the duty free shops in airports, so what do they make those people do with their liquor? Such a thing to get in a tizzy about
Old January 29th, 2003, 11:02 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Another alcohol question...

That is a good question. I would think that if the seal is not broken it wold be ok to bring it on an airline.
Old January 29th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another alcohol question...

I am flying on USAirways and they said it can be carried on if the seal is not broken, does not exceed 70% alcohol in volume and not over 5 liter size. If you are getting different stories each time you call then I would ask for a supervisor, but frankly I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Every time we go on a cruise we always buy lots of liquor as it's cheaper and never have a problem bringing it home.

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 29th, 2003, 01:34 PM
rukidding

Default Re: Another alcohol question...

Believe me it is not worth it!!! I totally read the posts last year and decided to buy little gift bag put it in my carry on and pretend it was an anniversary gift. WRONG!!! You think I was smuggling a bomb on board. I had to empty everything, they took the bottle of Kalhua I signed a form and looked forward to another line up on my way home to pick up my bottle. Of course the other couple who did the same went through with no problems what so ever. So it is a chance you take. If you pack it in your suitcase I hope it is well protected as it could end up in a bin with 200 other heavy suitcases on top of it.
A shame to start out with soiled clothing to save a few dollars.
Old January 29th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Passenger

My cousin is an airline scanner, she usually works with checked luggage.
This is what she was told and I am just posting it, not sure if it is common practice for every airport.

"You can pack it in checked baggage as well as carry on. the only kind of alcohol that is flammable is Bacardi 151, but we don't open the bags to see what brand is in there. I see bottles every day (in checked baggage) I asked a guy that used to work the checkpoints (carry on screening) and he said they can also go in there, just be careful if you put it in a purse, if the airlines see it they might confiscate it (if opened) until the end of the flight because they don't make money on the mixed drinks. but otherwise, not a problem."

I thought there were other flammable alcohols, who knows. I strongly suggest to buy it in Miami or wherever your ship is leaving from. I've had sealed bottles of toiletries etc. leak due to pressure on the planes. It's not worth sitting in the laundry the first day of vacation. Good Luck and have a WONDERFUL time!
I'm going back to packing. Leaving for Miami Friday morning.

Julie and Gopher
VICTORY 02/02/03
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Yeoman

I bought a bottle of Absolut in St. Marteen and paid $5.00 USD. Such a deal!