CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Another Port Canaveral Question (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/190017-another-port-canaveral-question.html)

Davidnnc January 29th, 2003 02:02 PM

Another Port Canaveral Question

Thanks so much for the info on my other post. I could not add this message to that one for some reason, maybe I just do not know how. Anyway, we are driving down from NC and if I drive one way in a rental car and drop it off at the airport in Orlando, how far is it from the airport to the port? Anyone know how much a taxi would cost?

Thanks.

Ron January 29th, 2003 02:29 PM

Re: Another Port Canaveral Question

It is about 45 min-1 hr from Orlando to Port Canaveral ( all depending on the traffic, which is usually bad around Orlando) You would be going a long way out of your way to go that route. A taxi would be a fortune. Check with the car rental agency to see if they have an office at or near the port in some of the hotels.

Not meaning to be nosy, but could you possibly drive your own car down and back? Parking is $70.00 for the week but thats cheaper than a rental and it's painless parking right at the dock.

Tami January 29th, 2003 03:00 PM

Re: Another Port Canaveral Question

Another option would be to book the shuttle to and from the Orlando airport through Carnival. You can do this through your travel agent. I believe it was $30 a person (not positive on that though) for a round-trip ticket. For going to Port Canaveral, they shuttle people from mid- / late-morning to early afternoon. Then, they bring your right back to the airport after the cruise. We did this (we were in Orlando for a few days prior to the cruise) and it worked out great for us. It was nice not having to worry about directions to the port, dealing with your luggage, parking, etc...

Knat January 29th, 2003 03:29 PM

Re: Re: Another Port Canaveral Question

There is a rental car agency at the Port Canaveral Radisson that has a free Shuttle to the Ports. THe smartest thing would be to use this that is what we did. I believe it is avis

Good Luck

Stosh

MichelleM January 29th, 2003 05:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Another Port Canaveral Question

Don't most car rental companies have an extra fee if you drop off the car at a different location then you pick it up? I have seen that fee be as much as $40, so that is $80 if you are planning on renting a car to take you home after the cruise.

Davidnnc January 29th, 2003 05:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Port Canaveral Question

You guys are great! Thank for all the info. We may look into that Avis agency. We could drive out on vehicle, but I just hate all those miles. Ron, when are you sailing Glory? We are on the Aug, 30th sailing.

nushnakka January 29th, 2003 05:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Port Canaveral Question

David, I am flying to LA and getting a rental car from Avis at the airport. I have told them that I'm going to port of LA and they are letting me drop off the car at a place closer to the port and they will take us to the ship! All you have to do is ask. BTW whereabouts in NC are you? We live in Charlotte. Not only have we driven to Port Canaveral but we also have driven to Miami and Ft Lauderdale ports. It's really not too bad of a drive but I guess it would depend on where you are starting from. Happy sailing to you!

Ron January 29th, 2003 06:34 PM

We are sailing Sept. 20th. ( Like to flirt with the huricanes)

Still sounds like the easiest and cheapest thing for you would be to drive straight down I-95, make one exit, go straight to the port. You can park within a stones throw of the ship.

Anyway, whichever is best for you. The main thing is to relax and enjoy your cruise.

Davidnnc January 29th, 2003 07:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Port Canaveral Question

Ron, you make it sound so good! haha. I think we may just drive my car down. I am looking forward to the shorter drive this year. It is like 16 hours to Miami, it is awful.

Davidnnc January 29th, 2003 07:40 PM

Oh, we are almost neighbors. I am in Greensboro. We have driven to the port in Miami three times, I have hated it everytime. It is about 16 hours from here, but a little closer for you I guess. I am looking forward to the shorter drive this year! We are both scared to fly, but we are talking about Hawaii next year so I guess we will have to brave it!

Ron January 29th, 2003 07:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Port Canaveral Question

I agree that 16 hrs. is a long time to be on the road.
I live just off Brunswick, Ga. on Jekyll Island. For me to drive to Port Canaveral is about
31/4 hrs. Not bad at all. Maybe you can use that as a gauge for your driving time.

nushnakka January 30th, 2003 08:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another Port Canaveral Question

Well hey neighbor! It took us 9 hours to drive to Port Canaveral, about 12-14 to Miami. It is definately a better drive. I understand your apprehensions about flying. I haven't flown in 11 years and we are doing it this Sat to LA and my stomach is already nervous feeling. So are you thinking of a Hawaii cruise? I would so love to do that and then I'll have to do Alaska because my husband has been wanting to do it for years. Me, I'm the warm weather island type and he is a polar bear. Well happy sailing to you!

njdave January 31st, 2003 06:24 AM

Hey!!! see you on board. Talk about counting the days. if you are wondering how long until your cruise then just take a look at my countdown clock.
I have not read every reply here but budget and avis as well as enterprise have local drop off available with a ride to the ship.

cruise_0_matic February 1st, 2003 01:31 PM

when you arrive at the orlando airport on cruise day there are shuttle busses just outside your baggage pick up area. you can book your transportation there for $30.00 per person round trip with a shuttle rep on the sidewalk. they will have an i.d. badge and will be very busy directing people to the correct bussesnjdave wrote:

> Hey!!! see you on board. Talk about counting the days. if you
> are wondering how long until your cruise then just take a look
> at my countdown clock.
> I have not read every reply here but budget and avis as well
> as enterprise have local drop off available with a ride to the
> ship.
>
>