Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Davidnnc

Default Not what to pack, but how to pack!

In September this will be our 4th cruise and we cannot wait to go. But in the past we have had a huge problem with luggage, there is just too much of it. We have anywhere from 6-8 bags between two people. It is crazy! We do not live together, but we try to consilidate as much as possible. Same toothpaste, soap, that kinda thing but we still are overwhelmed with bags. Anyone got any good packing tips for a 7 night cruise.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Not what to pack, but how to pack!

I found that an easy space saver was eliminating shoes. Also, we rolled all of our clothes which, not only saves space, but basically eliminates wrinkles with your clothes. Hope this helps you some!
Old January 29th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Whether you are a guy or a girl, don't plan on one outfit per day per occasion. 2 Formals for her/one suit or tux for him with acccompaniements, one pair of dress shoes each.
Two swim suits/0ne cover up or a tee shirt for him and her each. For him: 4 pr. of shorts/4 shirts/tee shirts (like Izod style that can also be worn in the evening). 4 pr. of dockers/2 tropical print shirts or silk tees. One pair of loafers or boat shoes. For her: 4 pr. of shorts w/ tops or short outfits/casual mini-dress - one pr. of sandals that can also be worn in the evening, 4 mix & match outfits: pants/skirt sets, sundress, one shawl or sweater w/ One pr. of sandals. Underwear 5 sets/hose & socks. Wash out things in your cabin if necessary. Wear your bulky clothes. If you feel you need a blazer, wear it with dockers & loafers. Pack sneakers or wear them for exercise or walking needs. Don't forget a hat. Use back-pack or tote bag for your beach bag. Wrap dress clothes in plasitc dry cleaner bags. The tighter you pack the less wrinkles. Put socks inside your shoes, Put one outfit for each occasion in your room mates suit case just in case a piece of luggage gets lost. No hair dryer (in cabin), no large size personal care items. Travel sizes are great except for Sunscreen Lotions. We each take a large suitcase that has a suiter unit and a 21" roll-on carryone plus a small tote and camera bag. We check the 4 suitcases. We usually are gone 8 days or more with pre-cruise wear in the small roll-on.
bon voyage
Old January 29th, 2003, 05:01 PM
martinimomma.

Default Re: Re: Not what to pack, but how to pack!

PACK EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO TAKE WITH YOU. THEN TAKE HALF OF IT OUT OF SUITCASE AND RETURN IT TO CLOSET OR DRESSER. You will be surprised, you'll have plenty of clothing and more room for souvenirs.
Old January 29th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Not what to pack, but how to pack!

Nanatravel, I pack like you do but I still end up with 3 bags! I wear everything I pack but it seems like it always takes the same amount of bags. I also roll my clothes esp the ones that would wrinkle easy. I take 1 pair dress shoes, 1 pair nice sandals, i pair tennis shoes and 1 pair deck shoes. I feel this is very conservative but still the same 3 bags are required! Oh well I guess I can't get out of it so off I go to pack because I"M LEAVING IN 3 DAYS!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:13 PM
MichelleM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Not what to pack, but how to pack!

The two of us end up with 2 pullman suitcases and one garment bag, plus an airplane carry on.

We pack 4 sets of t-shirts and shorts. Most of the time the t-shirts and shorts are only on for a few hours and then they are removed to favor the swimsuit. Shoes are a major space waster.
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Davidnnc

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not what to pack, but how to pack!

You guys are great! Thank for all the info. We may look into that Avis agency. We could drive out on vehicle, but I just hate all those miles. Ron, when are you sailing Glory? We are on the Aug, 30th sailing.
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Yeoman

Try packinglight.com for their packing method. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good.
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Davidnnc

Default Re: Re: Not what to pack, but how to pack!

Thanks to all of you for you great advise. This year we are going to travel lighter!
Old January 29th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Try some of the space saver bags...you put the clothes in them then roll them to get the air out and seal them. I've done essentially the same with two gallon freezer bags for underwear and socks...and it does make a big difference!

Old January 30th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Admiral

I too have invested in Packing tools. We own two large Pack-It envelopes that are great for shirts, shorts, even pants, then have one medium size envelope plus a medium size Pack-it cube. Take a look at these great packing tools on e-bags or Magellan's sites. I have used the large zip lock bags, put shoes into newspaper plastic sleeves and just bought some of those plastic space saver bags for luggage, too. With all of the new security, we must adopt new packing theories, too.
Bon Voyage