Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Re: Re: shorts allowed in dining room?

If the person wearing shorts doesn't bother you.... how about if your tablemates were a family with kids, who were undisciplined, and allowed to act as they please because they paid a pretty dollar for their vacation..... or how about if your tablemates lit up a cigar, or cigarette at the dinner table because they saved long and hard for their cruise and were going to enjoy it.... or how about if your tablemates drank too much of that booze they brought onboard with them and were falling down drunk through dinner, and loud and insulting. Or many other similar scenarios... They all paid for their vacations too.

It really isn't about the clothing!!!! I agree, it IS about the "double standards"! It is about everyone deciding deciding which rules apply to them and which don't. It's about respecting the rules the cruise line set out, and respecting your fellow passengers by living by them... and that's not a matter of money.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 21st, 2003, 08:24 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: shorts allowed in dining room?

Why do some posters(and you all know who you are) write such ridiculous comments!! How many people would consider someone wearing shorts(after they are sitting down at the table you can't even see their legs) the same as unruley children or someone blowing smoke in your face. I think the people who judge other people for what there wearing, are just control freaks who have to have everything going THEIR WAY. Would you like to pick out our outfits for us? (so we can look just like you) NO THANKS!!!!!!!
I for one DO NOT wear shorts in the diningroom for dinner. What I said was if someone was wearing them I wouldn't let it ruin my dinner. And being as I am not a busybody I probably would be enjoying my dinner and not even notice.
CLWallag
Old February 21st, 2003, 09:14 AM
cruisepimp

Default Re: shorts allowed in dining room?

I ve never been sober enough on a cruise by dinner to care lol
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: shorts allowed in dining room?

The perfect cruise ship for shorts, beer, and butts-------get a big flat barge, add about 200 old rusty trailers, tie up a few mean dogs, and some on these boards would have the perfect cruise. If you book a cruise , what's the problem with going along with the rules set forth by the cruise line and the ship that you book. You know what they are ahead of time. If you don't like it, don't go.
Old February 21st, 2003, 11:12 AM
cruisepimp

rmchunter... where can i book that one? I want to invite Rick along also. Sounds like a fun sailing. Does this one do Westerns also?
Old February 21st, 2003, 11:48 AM
Passenger

cruisepimp, I think they just do a deep southern for now, but may add more if needed.
Remember---book early and cruise often.
Old February 21st, 2003, 12:56 PM
Jodi

Don't plan on it when you pack, but if they do have an evening where they will allow shorts, there will be an announcement in the daily letter. Note that they did have 1 night on our cruise (Triumph), it was on the day that we were docked in Cozumel until midnight - I think they did on that day so that it is easier for people to come and go in the evening and get back to the island - and not overload the Lido Deck Casual dining area.
Happy Sailing!
Jodi
Old February 21st, 2003, 01:35 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: shorts allowed in dining room?

WELL SAID KUKI! CHAR
Old February 21st, 2003, 02:30 PM
First Mate

Excellent metaphors, Kuki. Right on target.

As for the "IT'S MY VACATION, I PAID FOR IT, I'LL DO WHAT I DAM WELL PLEASE" crowd, just once, I'd like the Maitre d' to wait until they are in the middle of the dining room walking to their table and then using the MICROPHONE say, "Would the couple that have obviously just been hired on the maintenance crew, the couple in the center aisle wearing the work jeans please see me, you're supposed to be getting your grub in the crew's mess hall. This is a dining room for the cruise passengers".

I would probably just die.

I think at this point we would all learn whether or not they CARED what OTHER people thought of them.<grin> It would probably be their last Carnival cruise, but they'd be hard put to find another cruise line more liberal in their dining attire requirements. (other than that fishing barge, of course)

Gary
Old February 23rd, 2003, 01:37 PM
First Mate

Dear Kuki,

I have to agree with CLWallaq...if you can compare someone who is simply wearing nice jeans and shirt with drunk, obnoxious people with unruly, spoiled rotten children, welll, I think you can hardly compare the two. My husband & I got along very well with our tablemates, and we enjoyed them immensely too, to the point where we all continue to correspond. No one's dinner was ruined by what we wore...what's that about apples & oranges?

I think we ALL need another cruise! You can never have too many! hee hee

Happy Cruising!

...Jean
Old February 23rd, 2003, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Author: Jean (adsl-63-199-202-124.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: 02-23-03 13:37

Dear Kuki,

I have to agree with CLWallaq...if you can compare someone who is simply wearing nice jeans and shirt with drunk, obnoxious people with unruly, spoiled rotten children, welll, I think you can hardly compare the two.

Jean... they aren't really different. They are similar because they are "suggested rules of behavior" onboard. It is people choosing which rules apply to them that I have a problem with.
There is no difference in rule stating no shorts, or rule stating no smoking... other than they deal with different matters. They are both still set rules.

I've cruised different lines, and their rules vary, and I adjust my behavior accordingly.

Carnival has actually removed the "no jeans" restriction from their suggest rules... so I have no problem with jeans.
And to be perfectly honest, once onboard, no one's dress really affects my enjoyment of my cruise.

To me the discussion is about showing respect for people in your community (the ship being your community for the week) by adhering to the suggested rules of behavior.

Imagine the person in shorts and a tank top arguing with the person saving seats in the show room. Which one is right?

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 24th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Passenger

Well, I'm a regular Celebrity cruiser and my family and I will be trying Carnival for the first time and will be sailing on the Elation. I've always enjoyed dressing up on Celebrity and am a little disappointed that Carnival is a little more casual. I actually don't have a problem with what others wear even if they're shorts but I guess I can look forward to looking better than a lot of people.
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Gary R

Nicky,

Relax. I've cruised Carnival 9 times and have NEVER seen anyone in jeans at dinner, much less on formal nights. I must admit, I'm not all that conscious of it, but have just never noticed anyone at dinner wearing shorts or jeans or tank tops.

Have a great cruise.

Gary R