Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default shorts allowed in dining room?

Some cruisers have made reference to the possibility that Carnival may allow shorts to be worn in the dining room for dinner on the two days that they are in port all day (Barbados & Aruba). Does anyone know if this is true?
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Holly Cutie

Default Re: shorts allowed in dining room?

Dont wear shorts, its listed on their web site that shorts and T shirts are not allowed. Pelease do what they ask because you may offend other people by wearing them since they say they are not permitted.
Old February 7th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: shorts allowed in dining room?

That's why I figured I would ask. I would never dream of going against policy, it's just that on some reviews it was mentioned that since the ships are in port until late at night, Carnival realizes that many people would only be coming back to the ship to eat & therefore to make it more convient for the passengers, they were allowing shorts in the dining room.
Old February 7th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Admiral

The only time shorts are allowed in the dining room is the first night as some people may not have recieved their luggage and had time to change. Second seating is expected to wear pants.
Jim

Old February 7th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Oh God--here we go again.
Old February 8th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Dennis Van Rumund

What about THONGS? Is that ok? It's not shorts?
Old February 8th, 2003, 10:22 AM
thoth

Default don't go there

Remember the "are jeans allowed" thread?
Old February 8th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: don't go there

Shorts are allowed at breakfast and lunch. But not dinner.

REgards,
Thomas
Old February 8th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Thanks Thomas, I should have specified that. It IS published that shorts are not allowed during the evening meal in the main dining rooms. It is no longer published about jeans. While onboard the Fascination two weekends ago there was a sign outside the dining room entrance stating that proper attire is REQUIRED for admittance and they seemed to make no bones about turning anyone away that was not dressed according to the posted rules.
Jim

Old February 8th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: don't go there

Seems like if someone stayed ashore all day doing whatever, that when they came back onboard, they would want to clean up prior to dinner, regardless of what they had been wearing for the day.
Old February 9th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: don't go there

..............that would make sense. However, the cruise reviews that I have read in which it was stated that shorts were allowed were only on the two nights that the ship is in port until 10pm. Apparently, alot of people also come back to the ship during the day for lunch (and dinner on these two nights). That being the case, to me it is a logical question. Why would they get changed to eat dinner only to get changed back into shorts to go back out into the port? I am a first time cruiser & I thought the message boards would be a place to get some real answers to questions that I may have. I have read everything I can, including the Carnival brochure - that doesn't mean that exceptions are not made. I am not someone who would go against policy. However, I am trying to find out all I can so that I am informed & bring along the right clothes.
Old February 9th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: don't go there

Again, shorts are allowed in the dining room for breakfast and lunch but not dinner. However, on the first day of the cruise shorts may be overlooked in the dining room for dinner because it is generally recognized that some people may not have received their luggage in time to change from their boarding clothes to their dinner clothes.

I've never heard of a change in the rules just because a ship is in port for the evening. And I've never seen people in shorts in the dining room on those days.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 9th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We were on the Carnival Legend a couple of weeks ago.. we didn't leave Barbados until late, yet the "Carnival Capers" stated each day.. including our Barbados stop over.. that Shorts and T shirts are not allowed in the dining room.

However, on pretty near every night we did notice people coming to the dining room in shorts and T-shirts and even tank tops, and no one was turned away.

From this, I'd gather that Carnival's approach, regardless of what they print, is that you can wear pretty much whatever you want in the dining room.

I don't agree with it, but this is definately the message they're sending by their actions.

Regards,
Kuki

Old February 9th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: don't go there

Kuki,
I have to believe that it was just the Maitre d' onboard the Legend that was slacking. When we did that quick three day to the Bahamas two weeks ago onboard the Fascination there was not question that you had to wear 'approprate attire' and shorts and such would not be allowed in. It was posted in a big sign right at the doors. Even though this was one of those 3 day that usually brings in the party-type crowds There were no shorts in evidance at all. I will say though that on formal night the only one wearing a Tux was me and the waiters <G>
Jim

Old February 9th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to ran Send a message via Yahoo to ran
Default Re: your recent trip on Fascination

Jim - could you please give your opinion on the fascination's current condition? Is it worn out, for example: musty or smelly? We are going in April 2003 and are not expecting too much but want to avoid another Soverign of the Seas that we had a weekend jaunt on about two years ago. I haven't seen any reviews that are less than 3 months old anywhere. Thanks for your time, we have booked a in a Category 11 balcony on one of more top decks. Husband has terrible allergies to molds, mildews. Any knowledge of Category 11 versus Category 12? I know the Category 12s are much roomier but they are on a lower deck with more categories of cabins (including center interiors) so I am thinking the higher cheaper balconys might actually be quieter and better ventilated since the ship itself is narrower as it rises. Cat 11, however, are partially under the gym/spa area but we took a center cabin positioned (appears probably) under a restroom. Thanks again
Old February 13th, 2003, 09:11 PM
wcw

We were on the Destiny the week of 01/19/03.
The Carnival Caper paper specifically stated that shorts were allowed at dinner on the two late port nights ( Barbados and Aruba ). We ate on shore in Aruba but did eat dinner in the Universe dining room at Barbados. There was quite a mixture of attire, including shorts. Most with shorts wore a collared shirt, but there even were a very few tee shirts too.
Yes, Carnival's standard policy says no shorts, but I'd show you a copy of the Wednesday and Friday Caper with the shorts-permission-at-dinner if I could. They may change next week, but that's how it was 3 weeks ago.

Bon Voyage !!! We thoroughly enjoyed this itinerary !

Bill
Old February 14th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: don't go there

Ren,
The Fascination is still in very good condition and there were no problems to speak of. Yes I saw a stain on the carpet in the passageway but that could have occured the cruise before. One of the two hot-tubs in the spa was also not functioning and was being serviced but again, this is normal for any ship to keep up maintanance. I would not hesitate to sail onboard her again providing the cruise is longer than 3/4 days. That is just too short for us now.
Jim

Old February 18th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: don't go there

We just got off theTriumph and the same thing. Seems like anything goes in the dining room except for formal nights. I was very disappointed and noted on the comment card. I will have to reconsider before I sail Carnival again as I definitely found a difference after sailing Royal Caribbean. There were also a few guys having breakfast in the buffet room with NO shirt! To me this is unacceptable and defintely setting a "substandard" set of rules.

MerryJim Bragg wrote:

> Kuki,
> I have to believe that it was just the Maitre d' onboard
> the Legend that was slacking. When we did that quick three day
> to the Bahamas two weeks ago onboard the Fascination there was
> not question that you had to wear 'approprate attire' and
> shorts and such would not be allowed in. It was posted in a big
> sign right at the doors. Even though this was one of those 3
> day that usually brings in the party-type crowds There were no
> shorts in evidance at all. I will say though that on formal
> night the only one wearing a Tux was me and the waiters <G>
> Jim
>
>
Old February 18th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default No shorts at Pride dinners

Erin,

Don't know about your particular itinerary, but shorts were not permitted at dinner in the Normandie Restaurant on the Pride. The first night I saw a man (40ish) wearing those zip-off pants that turn into shorts being asked to leave. He returned 5 minutes later with the bottom parts zipped on. This was the first night when sometimes your luggage may not have arrived to your cabin yet. He didn't make a big deal about it -- he could have left to go eat at the buffet but he probably didn't want to miss the weiner schnitzel!

Old February 18th, 2003, 11:19 AM
cruisepimp

Merry, Have you cruised much? There isnt a great deal of difference in the world between RCCL and CCL especially in the rules department or the customer service department.
Old February 18th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Moe

Default Shorts allowed on Destiny 2 evenings only

The days that we were at an island late were the evenings when shorts were allowed in the dining room for dinner. This was on the Destiny (feb 9 - 16). However, why would you wear shorts to dinner when you would normally go back to the room and freshen up before dinner. A pair of docker or a sun dress / capri pants are nicer yet still casual. Anyway, don't stress over these minor details.....in the grand scheme of things....who really cares! : )
Old February 18th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I wouldn't consider myself a seasoned cruiser compared to some folks on this site, I am only stating my opinion on what I experienced. Never did I see shorts in the Dining room on RCI except for the first evening and no shirtless men in even the casual restaurants. There are many restaurants on board that one can go to in shorts, the dining room should be reserved for "dining". Again, just my opinion

Merry
Old February 18th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Jamiegunter

If I were you, I would call Carnival and ask. We ate
in the dining room on two nights at port on our last cruise,
and I really didnt notice anyone dressed up majorly! There
wasnt hardly anyone in the dining room!

Its a shame that some people on here have to be so rude
and email nasty comments when you have a question.
Who ever posted about the thongs, that was totally
uncalled for. I hope you never have a question for anyone, you
might get answers like that.
Old February 19th, 2003, 01:52 PM
First Mate

I agree w/Moe's post, in the grand scheme of things, who really cares?? You pay your money, you should be able to do what you want, and people who get high blood pressure over what someone is wearing needs a vacation more than they think!!

On our last cruise (our 5th), my husband & I decided it was going to be a TRUE vacation, no formal nights!! However, we ended up having such a good time with our table mates that they insisted we join them on those nights even though we only packed blue jeans and shorts. No one said a word to us as we entered the dining room in blue jeans and nice shirts.

And Jamieguner, I think you need a nice vacation, the Thong post was only a joke!

Happy cruising, all!
Old February 19th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Admiral

I have to take the opposite stand. Yes you are on vacation and yes you should relax and have a good time. What many fail to take into consideration is acceptable dress codes that are requested or in many cases on land, even required. Simply put, would you go to an upscale dining event where it is published that formal is suggested and a minimum of coat and tie is required for gentlemen wearing shorts or jeans and a t-shirt? If you look at it in that context then it seems rather rude to do so. If you don't wish to follow the suggested and accepted attire then why not just go to the alternative dining that night? No you are not ruining someone else evening but if this couple is having and expecting a classy romantic evening and someone waltzes in dressed like they just came in from playing in the backyard, yes it does put a damper on the mood. Everyone should respect one another and if that means on occasion placing others first or even conforming to the accepted norms, what's the problem?
Jim

Old February 19th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Admiral

On our Cruise (Friday)..I am going to take pictures of people inappropriately dressed for dinner and post them under "Rednecks R Us" <G>

Old February 20th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Jean I agree with you totally!! I really appreciate the fact that you didn't let other peoples opinions and narrow minds keep you from enjoying "YOUR CRUISE". I'm sure nobodies dinner was ruined that night because you were not dressed formally!! If it was, that's their problem!!!
You see this arguement on every travel talk board. When our people going to come to terms with the fact that the world is made up of all different types of people, who all have different tastes. Not every one likes to wear dockers and polo shirts, some people like to wear a nice pair of jeans. Does this mean the docker wearer is a better person than the jean wearer? I THINK NOT!! You people that seem to notice what everyone else is wearing must have lousy dinner partners or are bored. When I'm in the diningroom, enjoying my dinner( and dinner companions), I hardly notice what other people are wearing(AND I FOR ONE DON'T CARE}. It seems like some of you out there would have us all looking like clones!
As for eating in the lido diningroom for dinner, The food is not as good. We all paid a pretty penny to go on a cruise, why should I or anyone else be banned from the diningroom because SOME OF YOU don't like what I'm wearing.
I have one more thing to say about this, and that is that some people wait a long time to save up enough money to take a cruise, what if they don't have the money it takes to also go out and buy a new wardrobe. (So they can please the other judgemental passengers). Should these people not be allowed to cruise or enjoy a good meal with everyone else??? Think about it folks, do you really notice what people have on after their seated at the table?? If they have on a nice pair of jeans or nice shorts, does that really upset you that much? When then, I feel very sorry for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's kind of funny how some of you talk about inforcing the dress code, but think nothing about breaking all the other rules(Sneaking booze on in your luggage). Lot of double standards going on!!
Thats it for me (I know, ABOUT TIME I SHUT UP)
CLWallag
Old February 20th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Oh Boy! Allow me to open another can of writhing worms. Someone mentioned double standards. Nine days ago, Sensation was docked right next to and upwind of Paradise in Cozumel. A group of mischievous middled-aged men went and stood along the starboard rail, while puffing Cuban cigars. As their smoke wafted toward the puritan vessel, some of the male passengers aboard Paradise began asking the cigar smokers to throw some of the cigars over to them. I loved it! The Seahunks knows and appreciates high quality mischief when he sees it.

Steve
Old February 20th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: shorts allowed in dining room?

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo. I couldn't have said it better!
Old February 20th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Captain

Default I'm with you CLWallag

Ya'll can cruise with us anytime.