Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2003, 07:22 AM
cruisepimp

Default cruisecritic and censorship

Anyone else find the level of censorship on that message board to be a outrage? I am banned only for disagreeing about removing of a post. You cant even post my name over there.... post CP, cruisepimp or any variation and the post gets sent to a admin review cue. I m glad we can freely express ourselves on this board.
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: cruisecritic and censorship

What was the original post about ( the one whose removal you disagreed with) and how did you express your disapproval? I've been posting on cruisecritic for three years and have never had a post removed or received any kind of warning, even when I discussed a controversial subject or strongly disagreed with the original post. I've always made sure my posts were professional and polite in nature. There must have been another reason why you were permanently banned from the boards. I agree with you that lately the board has been flooded with a bunch of whiny, overly-sensitive members who take offense to anyone who disagrees with them. At the same time, I have seen an increase in the number of lewd and rude posters whose only purpose for posting seems to be to shock others and see how much they can get away with. I wish all these new posters would just go away and leave the CruiseCritic boards to those of us who truly love cruising and know how to behave ourselves online!
Old February 8th, 2003, 08:27 AM
cruisepimp

Default Re: Re: cruisecritic and censorship

Robert I am just a fun loving cruiseaholic. You can go to the boards and read any and all post made by me and see that this is true. Just dont try to use my name in reply to any post because it isnt permitted..lol
Old February 8th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Passenger

Could it possibly be your name Cruisepimp?????
Old February 8th, 2003, 09:29 AM
cruisepimp

Default Re: Re: Re: cruisecritic and censorship

Sandy,
I have over 650 posts with this name so I doubt it.
Old February 8th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Admiral

I cannot really remark on another websites policy as it is theirs and they have that right. I do know that I have had posts dissappear that were very bland and non-controversial and can only think it is because they know I work for Cruisemates so I just don't bother anymore. The policy here at Cruisemates however is as follows and we really do try and not delete posts unless the violation is obvious;

Conduct
CruiseMates encourages active and open debate among our members. All we ask is that it's done in a lawful and civil manner. Accordingly, you agree to use CruiseMates for lawful purposes only. You may not use or allow others to use your computer to:

Post or transmit any content that is abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, threatening, harassing, defamatory or which discloses private or personal matters concerning any person;
Post or transmit any material that you don't have the right to transmit under law (such as copyright, or trade secrets) or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as nondisclosure agreements);
Post, transmit or link to sexually explicit material;
Impersonate any person, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
Post or transmit any advertising, promotional materials or other forms of solicitation including chain letters and pyramid schemes;
Intentionally violate the laws, rules and regulations of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the national, or other securities exchanges especially and including the rule against making false or misleading statements to manipulate the price of any security;
Intentionally violate any other applicable law or regulation while accessing and using our site;
Offer, sell or buy anything;
Post or transmit any file that contains viruses, java applets, ActiveX, corrupted files, "Trojan Horses" or any other contaminating or destructive features that may damage someone else's computer.

CruiseMates may at any time, without prior notice and at our sole discretion, remove any post, picture or terminate your membership for violating the above provisions. You agree to indemnify CruiseMates and hold us harmless from any actions, claims, proceedings or liabilities arising out of these terms and conditions. You're responsible for all statements made and acts that occur through the use of your user name. So please don't disclose your password to anybody. If it has been lost or stolen, let us know as soon as possible and change it immediately.

Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old February 8th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

All commercial monitored message boards have User Agreements...just as CruiseMates does. I'm sure many people when surfing, don't bother to read them, and that is part of the problem. There are, of course, different ways to interpret these "rules of behavior", and that's where things can get fuzzy.

For example.. people often wonder why they are not allowed to direct people to other web sites. They feel they're only trying to help fellow cruisers.
However, amongst those who really are "just trying to be helpful" there are many who will post strictly for the purpose of advertising. This is SPAM.
It's not only difficult to determine what people's motives are, but leaving posts that are seemingly legitimate encourages those who are not legitimate to post.

These web sites cost a considerable amount of $ to start and to operate, and they keep the doors open by selling advertising. Therefore their advertiser's rights and value must be protected. It is afterall a business.

Then, of course, there is the matter of personal attacks against posters. To post on moderated sites, one HAS to learn to discuss the issues. Posters have to learn to disagree with each other respectfully. That's what makes threads interesting to read. Name calling serves no purpose, other than to be disruptive.
You only have to visit unmoderated sites and chats to see that it doesn't take long to destroy any sense of friendliness or community a site has.

It's really not much different than "rules of behavior" on a ship... only we enforce the rules <G>

The free speech arguement is only valid if you use your podium. If you're using ours, or anyone elses it's best to read their rules for allowing you to do so.

If you feel that you have adbided by those rules, and were deleted or banned unjustly, I'd write the moderator and ask for clarification... plead your case.

All of that said... the moderators at CruiseMates use a very small stick... generally if you aren't using profanity, personally attacking another poster, or advertising/spamming, you're welcome to post here.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 8th, 2003, 01:19 PM
cruisepimp

Kuki over at cruisecritic its the unwritten rule that gets to you. .. again anyone that knows me knows that I m a fun loving guy and never personally attack anyone on the cruiseboards. In fact I was with a large group on the Triumph on 1/25 53 to be exact and all of our buttons and pins and koozies advertised for free the site...anyway I m sure I wont encounter any problems here.
Old February 8th, 2003, 06:45 PM
First Mate

I find it interesting to note that CRUISEPIMP has failed to answer the first 2 questions posed to him by Robert. What was the post and what did you say relating to your post being dumped that caused you to be banned?

Sometimes we posters forget that this is not public property. As Kuki said its a business run on private property. I wouldn't be surprised if TERMS OF SERVICE rules said, "We can dump your butt anytime we want to, its out site"....they'd be accurate and in my opinion completely within their rights.

I would also think that with a screen name such as CRUISEPIMP you almost always are subject to more scrutiny. Earlier today an entire thread was dumped (I think I was the last responder too). I don't think it had much to do with what I said, but it was clear to all the posters that a a different person was being paradized. But now the ORIGINAL POSTER that started the thread is "wandering" where her topic went. He/she should know and should not push the issue, especially as a new topic asking where the post went !

A nice e-mail to Jim, Donna or any of the other board hosts would probably get her an explanation as to the "missing" thread. Using the public forum PROVIDED TO YOU BY THAT FORUM is probably not the way to question the choices of THAT PUBLIC FORUM ! !

Sail on,
Gary
Old February 8th, 2003, 07:40 PM
cruisepimp

Gary,
You are correct. The post was when I was on the Triumph cruising. I had promised the board to post live reviews and updates from the ship. The second day I went back to post and the post was deleted. I was curious as to why so when I got back I questioned why my post was removed as it was only a review of our cruise as it was happening. I was told it was off topic and I ask how could a cruise review on a group of 53 members be off topic. At that point I didnt recieve a email or warning I just can no longer post. I m more than willing to answer any question. Again I am what you see and have nothing to hide. I know these boards are not public property but I do believe when you want to ban a member due to any disagreement that you should be willing to explain why. Just a note when you post that says admin denies your request to post for posting off topic isnt enough. I m still scratching my head as to how the post was off topic but then again that wasnt my call.
Old February 8th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Admiral

CP,
Gary is correct about your name and it definately drew my attention the first time I saw it and you were on the verge of being kicked and banned on the chat immediately because of it, as it is really close to being a no-no. You explained it when asked and after watching you we all deemed that you were not going to be a problem. (yeah, we immdeiately look at ISP's and where you are from and often watch folks to make sure they are not there to start trouble as we do have them come in and try occasionally) I know how it came about the name but if you think about it, some may be offended by the last part of your name. You may wish to consider modifying it but that is your choice
Jim

Old February 8th, 2003, 09:39 PM
cruisepimp

Thanks for your'e input Jim. If you dont mind I have had this name for a long time and am known by it in many communities. I dont want to offend anyone but would prefer to keep the name. I think I interact well with most people online and do not forsee any problems here.
Old February 9th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Admiral

I have no problem with your name cruisepimp. Post on brother!

Old February 9th, 2003, 08:22 AM
cruisepimp

Thanks alot Rick. That means alot.
Old February 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I would venture a guess -- purely speculation, but based on my experience in the cruise website business . . .

Cruise Critic charges a cruise line a lot of money for live updates from ships, what we call a "virtual cruise." (Anne Campbell and I created the concept of a virtual cruise back in 1997 when we did live updates from the Grand Princess sailing in the Aegean on her maiden voyage by linking our laptop up to AOL via a cellphone).

Cruise Critic has a very cozy relationship with Carnival's arch-rival Royal Caribbean/Celebrity. On the other hand, Carnival has never advertised with them (all their advertising $ goes to television). My guess is that CC didn't like giving away all that free publicity to Carnival.

CruiseMates, on the other hand, has had several virtual cruises from various cruise ships without any compensation from the cruise line. We keep our editorial and advertising departments separate.

This is based only upon what you said here. I have not seen the post in question, but I would like to.

Old February 9th, 2003, 10:00 AM
cruisepimp

Paul,
You hit the nail on the head but I didnt know it at the time. Our group of 53 had buttons and koozies we gave the staff and other passengers. I only wish Laura knew how much free advertising we gave her site. Anyway its all water under the bridge. I was really only hurt because the other members seemed to respond to my wit and I was only concerned by the secretive manner my banning was handled. My name or any variation of my name is now a trigger word on that site. I think its childish but if you go and post something as simple as where is CP or pimp or cruisepimp the post will not go through. On the other hand I ve found some nice folks here in chat and look forward to a few groups and I will do live updates. Youre point about RCCL, Celeb and CCL not advertising is well taken though because prior to our cruise we were told CCL would do nothing for our group but due to our upbeat style and fun on the ship CCL did in fact offer us 1 hour free happyhour open bar get together. Anyway thanks for your post Paul. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old February 9th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: cruisecritic and censorship

Like I said CP, your choice. You have shown yourself to be a responsible and even interesting poster and you are welcome here just as everyone else is that follows the rules of conduct. Shucks, we even allow folks to slip up every now and then. <G>
Jim

Old February 9th, 2003, 11:28 AM
gogetter

Hello,
Welcome to the club of banned members.............................CC is ..............well.............shutup gogetter
Old February 9th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Passenger

sniff, sniff....I'm touched by all the sharing and interaction on this list.

I just hope after my first cruise I'll be able to help others like you all have helped me.

Dale

p.s. When I say "touched" I don't mean in the head, but I know some that would disagree with that statement. :-)
Old February 9th, 2003, 05:35 PM
First Mate

Paul says:
----------
"Cruise Critic has a very cozy relationship with Carnival's arch-rival Royal Caribbean/Celebrity. On the other hand, Carnival has never advertised with them (all their advertising $ goes to television). My guess is that CC didn't like giving away all that free publicity to Carnival."

Paul,
This would explain a lot of the goings-on the last several weeks at CruiseCritic! There is a huge group cruise on the Carnival Conquest for Jan 04 planned with so many participants they were all negotiating with New Orleans hotels to get great rates, etc. and talking about what to do in New Orleans. This was literally taking up all the topics on the current page with the different posters all chiming in with different plans and ideas and getting ahold of each other via the "topic" method.. Of course, each poster always referenced the Carnival Conquest in their posts and it was starting to bother some of the other posters who weren't going on this cruise. Suddenly a lot of posts were pulled down and when some of the regulars objected, their posts were also "toyed" with. I imagine Cruisepimp can give us much more information about this period and he probably knows more of the regular posters better.

I found the infighting between the different groups (those that were going on the Conquest Group Cruise and those that weren't) very interesting.....and amusing.

Incidentally, Cruisepimp, many of your past posts are still present "over there", but can't find the "offending" post. Paul's explanation make more sense to me than anyone's.

Gary
Old February 9th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Admiral

I think CruiseCritic is getting too much publicity on this site......................oooops, I just contributed to the problem didn't I ????

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 10th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Artsy

Hi Cruisepimp,
I've missed seeing your posts on CC. As I posted there, your post from the ship was not "off topic" at all, but you were a bad boy when you posted Laura's email. When I posted that I thought her explanation was ridiculous, I thought I'd get banned too!!
Anyway, you are missed. Happy cruising.
Old February 10th, 2003, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Nice Run CP Censorship runs deep. It the problem with those that think they run the show and actually are puppets.
Old February 11th, 2003, 12:12 AM
Tim & Tonya

~CruiseP~

You are right,man you realy must have pi**ed in their wiskey.

It's hard to post over there if you us the word "Cruise" in a sentence.

I don't know whats happened but it seems they have a hole in bottom of their forum and it's letting all the fun drain out.

He** I'll just come over here and have fun with you people.

eat,drink,be merry and cruise
Tim
Old February 11th, 2003, 08:23 AM
cruisepimp

Thanks for you re kind words Tonya and Tim. Again I say I think Paul has hit the nail on the head.
Old February 11th, 2003, 01:33 PM
OBrienLads

I use both boards, and have gleaned extremely helpful and interesting information on both. I will say cruisecritic has much more information just because so many more people post there on a daily basis.

I do understand their rule, though, that one should address the host, not another poster. I've already been involved in a post on this board where a responder addressed me (and others) directly when I was simply agreeing with other non-smoking issues involving the smoking issue (this defensive smoker individual has some kind of military complex - and I have tremendous respect for the armed services, having been raised by my Master Sergeant grandfather - and apparently felt he should aggressively point out that his neighbor who was a doctor could accurately diagnoise these other folks' symptoms; they were apparently just in their heads), so then I got mad and addressed him, blah, blah. . . when I saw another post addressed to me from him, however, I ignored him. Just a troublemaker, I guess. I suppose there are people everywhere who get mad if you disagree with them.

Good luck, CP! (There, I broke CC's rule!)
Old February 11th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Dean Renner

Hey CP,

You seem a normal and reasonable sort, and a fine addition to our community here at Cruisemates.

And I'm curious, as I'm sure are others, as to the origin of your log-in name. Mine's my actual name, as I'm probably not imaginative to come up with something more fun! And I have to agree with Jim Bragg that your log-in name does immediately attract attention.

So you'll have to let us all in on its origin!

Dean
Old February 11th, 2003, 03:29 PM
cruisepimp

Obrien I dont know what you re post meant in my thread but I certainly found it entertaining. I never had any arguments with any other poster or anything like that. I questioned a post deletion and rather explain it to me in private or on the board my posting permissions were revoked. .. but on the other hand I'm glad to be here
Old February 11th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Admiral

You have to be REAL careful what you post here cruisepimp. Anything resembling a smart-@ss comment and you get sent to your room.

Pamda is the sweetest whip wielding staffer you've ever met. <wink>

Regards,
Thomas (whose never met Pamda in person but sure she's a doll)
Old February 11th, 2003, 04:22 PM
cruisepimp

My name came from casinos when I was single. I m a player and get alot of comps but I always showed up at the casino with a different woman, and the host said one day you are a casinopimp and it stuck. When I started posting on cruise websites I just adapted cruisepimp to that name.