Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Yeoman

Default Definition of "Reverse Snobbery"

I was recently accused of "reverse snobbery" and quite frankly I am not sure what the definition of "reverse snobbery" is! There has been much discussion of jeans worn in the dining room, and I merely stated that people who cruise on more upscale lines like Cunard and Crystal are better dressed and as a rule don't need an explanation of the dress code. From what I read on these boards many people would agree with me. Although I have sailed on upscale lines, on my last Carnival cruise I met a lovely group of people who looked like they bought their clothes at the Salvation Army, and they even traveled a great distance by Grey Hound bus to reach Tampa. It would have been a pleasure to be seated in the dining room with these fine people!
Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2003, 05:18 AM
NHLady

Default Not sure what it means

Don't let it bother you, sometimes it's hard when reading a post to know what you mean since you can't use you voice(or your hands, my personal favorite) for emphasis or to embellish on your statement. Often this means something you say is misconstrued as being snotty or rude. (I'm stating this as a "you" in general, not a "you" as in "you-Carol") I Just try and remember to re-read my post before I send it, just in case I may offend people. (I'm not always real diplomatic, so I need to be EXTRA careful)
Happy posting!
Karen
Old February 10th, 2003, 07:43 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Not sure what it means

Hey NHLady,
I agree with you, I too now watch what I say...and it bothers , cause I do not take offense to what people say, I am pretty thick skinned and love a good debate.
Mary Margaret
Old February 10th, 2003, 08:50 AM
susancruzs

Default Re: Definition of "Reverse Snobbery"

Hi!

It happens with all of us and definitely myself included, I tend to get up on my soap box and take everyone's causes in hand sometimes!!!

For me it comes from working over 30 years at a warehouse and I was always championing the workers (hourly) against those of us in the office (salaried)!

When I get way too high on my soap box, I get a gentle reminder :-) from Salem or someone that they are just trying to make a point, too and are entitled to their opinion.

Overall, the reason I stay with this board as it is fair and everyone pretty much gets to state their opinion. You will notice, on some topics, they are just plain "hot" and always will be!

Enjoy!

Susie
Old February 10th, 2003, 01:26 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Definition of "Reverse Snobbery"

Carol,

At great risk of being flamed to death, I'll take a shot at why I think the reason is that someone thought it was "reverse snobbery".

You said in your post:

"...on my last Carnival cruise I met a lovely group of people who looked like they bought their clothes at the Salvation Army, and they even traveled a great distance by Grey Hound bus to reach Tampa. It would have been a pleasure to be seated in the dining room with these fine people!..."
__________________________________________________ ______________

"looked like they bought their clothes at the Salvation Army" would tend to imply, I GUESS, that their attire was shoddy or shabby or out of style.

"travelled a great distance by Grey Hound", would imply, I GUESS, that their clothes were dishevelled, wrinkled, and their personal appearance unkempt.

Many would find this description, I GUESS, as condescending in that they would read into the post that you actually meant to say:

"Even though I am very fashion conscious and well-dressed and am fastidious about my personal appearance and love first class on United Airlines, I found these clods and cheap lowlifes quite interesting as dinner companions".

A snob would say they were disgustingly revolting, a reverse snob would say they were disgustingly revolting, but interesting, entertaining, and TOLERABLE.

I have no way of knowing if you are a "reverse snob", but this is how someone may have read it.

Incidentally, I and my bride to be many years ago took a Greyhound bus from LA to Vegas and back to get married. :-)

Just my opinion <slipping into asbestos suit>.

Gary