Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2003, 09:22 PM
J-In-NH

Default Are people still getting sick on the boat?

Are people still getting sick off the "virus"? Is there anything I can do to prevent illness on the Ship?
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2003, 09:42 PM
The Harts

Default Re: Are people still getting sick on the boat?

I just got off the Triumph yesterday and there was no sickness!!!!!!
Have A Great Cruise!!!!!!
Old February 16th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Admiral

J-In-NH
Even though there was an apparant outbreak a couple weeks ago onboard a Princess ship in Hawaii the month preceeding that there were no outbreaks onboard any ships. There were however, and continue to be numerous outbreaks on land in schools, nursing homes, and other places where people tend to gather. Simply put, the media doesn't care unless it happens on a cruiseship as it is a common illness that is even more common in the wintertime. Good personal hygine is the best preventative but it could happen to anyone at anytime, anyplace.
Jim

Old February 17th, 2003, 12:45 AM
Captain

Default People ARE getting sick

Just about everone sailing these days gets off the ship and within
just a few days gets a case of "Land Depression".
Symptoms vary from person to person, but include:
Daydreaming at work, weak, wobbly legs, no zest for housecleaning, cooking,
or facing your boss. Some people have been known to do bad things to alarm clocks.
I think the only cure is re-booking another cruise as soon as possible.
I have done this and it seems to fight the symptoms, even though the
cure will not be complete until you actually step back on a ship.
Dr. Joemo says: Take 2 pina coladas & call your travel agent in the morning.
BEFORE it's too late.
Old February 17th, 2003, 07:12 AM
NHLady

Default Re: People ARE getting sick

joemo- you make me laugh! The worst part is I'm starting to show symptoms and I haven't even left yet!!! Must be after reading this board every morning with my morning coffee, I realize I should've booked a much longer cruise!
Old February 17th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default I was on the Pride

We (party of 7) just returned from the Carnival Pride Saturday afternoon (2/16). None of us came down with anything and didn't hear of anyone else being ill. The ship was clean and beautiful. It only crossed my mind once the whole trip. Relax and enjoy your trip. I think I have a better chance of catching things from my kids' classmates or when I am in a doctor's waitingroom.

Old February 17th, 2003, 10:31 AM
LHP

Default Re: I was on the Pride

If we all use just a little common sense. The first thing I do when we board is go straight to the room and whip out my can of Lysol. I disinfect the ENTIRE room (floors, comforters, bathroom, shower, knobs, handles (careful around electricals) etc. After doing this, 30 minutes later...the family comes in and unpacks. The rest of the cruise is simply a matter of washing hands and anti-bac lotion used several times a day.
Old February 17th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to MattADL

people are gettin sick EVERYWHERE its just that time of year...............
Old February 20th, 2003, 09:53 AM
OBrienLads

Default Can of Lyson?

I would love to take a can of Lyson, but I thought the airlines were not allowing aerosols? How did you get a can of Lyson through?

Thanks,
JO
Old February 20th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Can of Lyson?

Jo,
You don't. You either drive to the port or you use a spray bottle. You will not be allowed to have it in your carry-on and in your luggage it may well explode from air pressure variations if it even gets past security.
Jim

Old February 20th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Todda

I agree its nothing to worry about but a couple of weeks ago on the Spirit we got a letter that people were getting sick and medical assistance was free of charge. The only change we say was the buffet, you could not serve your self anymore. Have fun you can get sick anywhere.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 10:53 AM
Shipbound

You can get all kinds of information about the sanitation of passenger vessels on the CDC web site which is http://www. cdc. gov/ just scroll down to search enter cruise
ships hit search.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 05:44 PM
Jodi

Default Re: People ARE getting sick

Joemo-

SOOOO true! We got back from Triumph last week, and I definitely have the bug. It was one of the best vacations! I definitely need to go back and have been spending a lot of time on line making new plans and reading this message board... just this afternoon we booked another cruise for Memorial Day - 4 nights to Bahamas on the Fantasy. While it didn't totally cure my 'land depression', it has certainly allieviated some of my symptoms as I look forward to more family fun on the seas!

Thanks for the laughs - 'misery' loves company!

Jodi
Old February 24th, 2003, 12:32 AM
M. Jackson

I caught the virus on my New Year's Eve Trip and never experienced such violent gastrointestinal episodes, uncontrolable, on going for hours, coming out from everywhere (certainly you can imagine - I don't want to be that graphic). Not only did I have to pay double for this trip as a single person, but I actually paid nearly four times the amount because it was a holiday voyage. Well, I wanted to go and if only I knew what was in store for me. I had to pay that money to get violently ill and I was charged a doctors fee too for $175.00! I am not turned off about cruising, but I am permanently turned off with CARNIVAL CRUISE LINES... When I called to complain and wanted restitution for the experience, looking for maybe an apology and half off on a future cruise, that would have made up for it - but wishful thinking... I was HUNG UP ON by a Customer Care Representative, who did not care at all and told me the cruise line is never responsible for passengers getting sick... I wanted to laugh, it is in the midst of a major epidemic ! WHO IS CARNIVAL KIDDING !!! BUYER BEWARE - sail on a cruise line that cares about it's passengers. Carnival puts on such phoney airs, they want your money, when they get you, they will show you their true colors - I have even expeeienced people in the Purser's office who were not very kind about the situation... CARNIVAL HAS LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER AND THAT OF ALL MY FRIENDS - BEST ADVICE - DO NOT SAIL CARNIVAL !!!
Old February 24th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Passenger

This is Jackson's 3rd post about their problem. When willit end????

Celebrity Horizon Sept 04 Bermuda
Carnival Liberty Sept 05 Western Mediterranean