Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Barb S.

Default TA Commissions

Can anyone tell me how TA's are paid? If my TA goes to bat for me with Carnival and gets me a nice big credit because of rate drops, is she doing it inspite of the fact that she is losing money? If so, I am going to send her a nice tip. What do you think...Barb
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: TA Commissions

I doubt she will lose money on your cruise....however if she did, I would think she would make it up in other ways. People don't stay in business by losing money.

Old February 18th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Barb S.

Default Re: Re: TA Commissions

No, I maybe didn't make myself clear. I know she won't lose money. What I meant was, by getting me credit will she make less money than if she hadn't done the extra work. IE if she makes 10% and my cruise price drops from $1000 to $500 she loses $50 for doing more work for me.
Old February 18th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Re: Re: TA Commissions

Barb... yes, TA works on commission. % of cruise cost. They do not get paid commission on non commissionable fees (what most refer to as port charges & taxes).

So... if they get you a discounted price, they are indeed losing out on some of their commissions.

Cruise lines also ften do this with discount coupons they offer. The discounted amount comes off the commissionable portion.

Regards,
Kuki

Old February 18th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Barb,
A TA basically 'buys' the cruise for you at the same rate that is published on the cruisline's website. They then get a "rebate', 'commission', 'discount', ot whatever you wish to call it of a certain percentage based upon how much business they do. In turn almost all TA's share that amount with you which is why you can buy it cheaper through an agent than directly. If they pay less for the cruise, the percentage remains the same but on a lower amount so yes they do get a smaller commission. It is something that almost all are willing to do to keep your business and to promote good will.
Jim

Old February 18th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Passenger

TA's do not necessarily sell cruises for the same price advertised on the cruise line's web site. I am a TA and most of the time my prices are cheaper than the cruise line offers because of our volume.
Old February 18th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Passenger

What type of "credit" did your TA get you? If it was shipboard credit, then more than likely your TA is losing a dime.
Old February 18th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Barb S.

Kelly, She got us credit which will be refunded to our credit card. I would have been satisfied with shipboard, but apparently Carnival said they would prefer a refund. If this is the case, then from what you have all said, she did more work and lost some commission. Right? Would it be odd for me to send her a tip to share the wealth? BarbKellyB wrote:

> What type of "credit" did your TA get you? If it was
> shipboard credit, then more than likely your TA is losing a
> dime.
Old February 18th, 2003, 02:46 PM
KJ

You are one of the lucky clients, just remember your agent the next time someone asks about your trip and pass his/her name on to them.
I am an agent and it makes us just as happy as it makes you to get a great deal for our clients, good karma always comes back to you.
Old February 18th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Admiral

My TA always finds a cheaper rate than anything I find on the internet and this is why I continue to book with him. In fact, I've passed many customers to him. Some from halfway across the country.

And he always sends us a bottle of wine for the first night's dinner. A very nice touch.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 18th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Captain

Default Sounds like my T/A

We must share Travel agents. Ken checks in with us often
about rates, upgrades, changes, etc..........
If you really appreciate your T/A, do what I did. Take him / her with you..........
Having a travel agent in the cabin next door is like having our own Concierge.

Last Cruise: Destiny "Bump in the night" 10/02
Next cruise: Rhapsody "Hurricane Cruise 03" 10/03
Old February 19th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Passenger

She may lose a little commission but it sounds like she's like me - she'd rather have a happy client.

If you want to show your appreciation, be a repeat client for her and refer your family and friends to her.